No announcement yet.

How to replicate HELLA's smoked ellipsoid technique:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SEM holds up fine to the heat, I use it on all sorts of engine parts too with no problems.

Get the adjusters from Patrick @ BMA.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

I wonder what other colors would look like - maybe a dark charcoal, or half black, and half nothing, like frowning eyes. Probably would look like ass - but it would be cool to see.
      '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

Any experience with early euro lights? The non-ellipsoid ones? I'm thinking 4 crosshairs should do the job for that.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

I may be doing this very soon as well!
          Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Ok i just wanted to add some input on the baking process. I put my metal assembly in and heated the oven to 350 and waited for 6-8 minutes. I found this softened the glue just enough so I could slowly wedge the glass off. A little smoke should appear from the headlights.

I think it would take less time for my low beam assembly since its plastic. I'll post when I get to them.
            Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
            http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Yeah. Oven temps will vary. I can say my oven is like a 1982 model, and while it works fine, its likely not up to par with something more recently made.

Comment

Damn Jordan. Thanks for the write up. Wanna make me some crosshairs? =)

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

I was planning on sticking with my H4's and just adding an HID kit, but after seeing this I think I am going to have to give into Ellipsoids. Inspiring writeup Jordan.

I dont think it would be too complicated to make arch shaped templates but I am curious as to the spacing around the bulb.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

There is a PDF file of the templates... just print it out.

Comment

This is funny. It seems like noone would do this without a write up. That template has been around for a very long time and was just now brought back up.
                      Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                        Any experience with early euro lights? The non-ellipsoid ones? I'm thinking 4 crosshairs should do the job for that.
                        Yes, I have tried this.

It took me for ever to make a template for the cross hairs on the low beams,
                        (the reflector is not symmetrical) and once done and mocked up, there was almost no effect because of the lens over the lights.

The groves/moldings/engravings or whatever on the actual lens itself (the vertical lines)
                        are so thick and deep that they themselves reflect back white light. you can barely see the reflector behind them... Not worth the time,

The (hella) high beams however are identical in shape the the late model lights as far as i know.
                        I have made cross hairs for mine according to the template, and they fit perfectly.
                        However they do not quite have the effect i had hoped for, i assume because my lenses are quite pitted.
                        But i feel as though there is too much room left around the globe,
                        allot of white light is reflected out.

These are the cross hairs I made out of 0.5mm Aluminium.
                        They are cut out exactly as the templates indicate.

I may consider making more to sell if there is any interest in them?

They are cut on a band saw and disk/bobbin sanded, and they take time to make accurately, so the price would need to be right, if theres any interest, make an offer.

*edit*

I just used rustoleum satin black for mine, holding up fine to the heat so far.
                        Just drove 300km's a couple of nights ago, with the high beams allmost permanently on, and they're fine.
                        Last edited by JamesE30; 11-06-2007, 06:23 PM.

R.H.D
                        M-technic I club

Comment

I did this using jordos pdf about 3 years ago. still going strong

Originally posted by vlad
                          Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
                            Ok i just wanted to add some input on the baking process. I put my metal assembly in and heated the oven to 350 and waited for 6-8 minutes. I found this softened the glue just enough so I could slowly wedge the glass off. A little smoke should appear from the headlights.

I think it would take less time for my low beam assembly since its plastic. I'll post when I get to them.
                            To update, since my lowbeams were plastic, I went ahead and boiled them so I didn't risk melting them. I soaked them in rubbing alcohol. Put some cushion on the bottom of the pot so you dont have the glass in direct contact with pot. (Like aluminum foil crushed up.) Then just boil for 15-20 minutes. This softens the glue enough to pop the glass off. Simple enough.
                            Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                            http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

can i use this for any other bmws?
                              Axel
                              BMW 320i Touring (M20B25)

Comment

The pattern might not fit... but the rest should give you a direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X