My First iX/ Drivers seat debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    Its not the same. 100% certain. Maybe yours are swapped, or you don't know what you are looking for.
    you're talking about the plastic seat handle on the inside front of the seat, near the floor. right? I believe what you say, just telling you what's in my IX, which is a bone stock 88 coupe and has the original silber heated leather seats in it. could the handle have been swapped for a generic E30 one in the 22 years before I saw the car? sure. grab a pic of yours when you get a chance.. very curious.

the other thing you mentioned being different was console height. I checked both the front and rear console. on the front console I measure the height of the side of the console near the shifter..

again, not arguing here.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

You know, im just going to stop. Its like arguing that the sky is blue and the sun rises in the east..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

FIRST: OP, very nice pickup!

SECOND: For what it's worth-

I have personally put non iX sports seats in a late model iX and had to bend the handle to get it to clear. The tracks bolted right up, but the front adjuster had to be bent slightly- to clear the transfer case. When fully extended forward even when bent, the handle hits the transmission tunnel sooner than it does on an i.

The sports seats in my '88 iX don't have that issue since it they had the proper adjustments made from the factory.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

nando's right as expected
          Is the seat handle different on your stock IX sport seat? Or is it the same and the lever is just bent away from the tunnel ?

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
            I believe what you say, just telling you what's in my IX, which is a bone stock 88 coupe and has the original silber heated leather seats in it.
            Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            I have personally put non iX sports seats in a late model iX and had to bend the handle to get it to clear. The tracks bolted right up, but the front adjuster had to be bent slightly- to clear the transfer case. When fully extended forward even when bent, the handle hits the transmission tunnel sooner than it does on an i.

The sports seats in my '88 iX don't have that issue since it they had the proper adjustments made from the factory.
            Do the standard seats have the same handle and only the sport seats have different handles?

Comment

even the center console is modified - it's about 1/2" taller than the RWD version because the shifter is mounted higher to clear the transfercase.
              Now you have *me* curious... what did you look at to figure that out?

Comment

it's taller. I never noticed until somebody else mentioned it. the RWD is flush with the e-brake console, the ix version is raised up.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

it's taller. I never noticed until somebody else mentioned it. the RWD is flush with the e-brake console, the ix version is raised up.
                  I are also notice that, thats why there is that differences at those tunnel, to fit that transfer casein clear are...But that easy to test, pust rwd seat at drivers place and test.
                  I had in my older ix e30 m3 front seats, can't move the seat as far forward
                  https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                  https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

RWD seats do fit (I have them in my car). it's just the handle hits the trans tunnel bump. the ix specific seat has a kink in the handle to clear that bump.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

RWD seats do fit (I have them in my car). it's just the handle hits the trans tunnel bump. the ix specific seat has a kink in the handle to clear that bump.
                      Truth. Regardless of what realoem says. The plastic handles are the same, the metal bar they mount to (which is part of the seat rail) is not the same. No idea why there isn't an IX specific part number for the driver seat rail. Must be a mistake.

IX driver and passenger seat levers

IX driver seat handle (front view)

Vert driver seat (with narrower tunnel)

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

it's probably been NLA for 15 years.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Bought a new crackless dash and rear center console. $175 so not too bad.
                          Attached Files
                          89 325i coupe - Daily
                          89 325iX coupe - Project someday

Comment

Originally posted by Sade View Post
                            I are also notice that, thats why there is that differences at those tunnel, to fit that transfer casein clear are...But that easy to test, pust rwd seat at drivers place and test.
                            I had in my older ix e30 m3 front seats, can't move the seat as far forward
                            Question on this. My ebrake console and center console are flush together. There's no 1/2" drop. Are you saying they don't line up at all? Can you post a pic?
                            1988 325ix

Comment

I confirmed on my dad's '90 iX and '87 iS... Big ledge from the e-brake console to the center console. I don't know about my iX because I have the console out right now.

Originally posted by Isostar13 View Post
                              Question on this. My ebrake console and center console are flush together. There's no 1/2" drop. Are you saying they don't line up at all? Can you post a pic?
                              Interesting that yours line up.
                              I should have grabbed pics over the weekend, but I'll do it next time I'm at my dad's house.

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
                                floorpan is different due to a bump in the tunnel for the T-case , this affects the inboard seat track and release handle on drivers seat ,so yes seat is the same but slider track is different
                                Not to steal the thread but an I or IS driver seat will not fit the IX? I'm about to buy a driver side leather sport seat to replace mine and now i'm wondering! Will it bolt on direct fit?
                                If the differences are the hight and the lever then I should be fine but I just need to know if it will bolt on direct without any mods? Thanks in advance (i'm about to make a 4hrs trip to Gainesville to get the seat)
                                Last edited by 88e30ix; 10-22-2014, 10:17 AM.
                                Drive it like you just stole it! :p

Comment

Working...
                                X