240mm disc on m20 single mass flywheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

240mm disc on m20 single mass flywheel?

I was messing around with some clutch parts and I was wondering if anyone has used a 240mm e36 clutch disc in place of the 228mm disc with the m20 single mass flywheel and pressure plate? It seems like it would fit just by stacking everything up on the table.

My reasoning for this, is that my turbo car has worn through my 228mm 6 puck ebay clutch on my 13lb m20 single mass flywheel. It lasted 60k turbo'd, so I'm not complaining. It also wasn't a huge pain to drive, until I upgraded to a small Exedy twin-plate race clutch with a 3.5lb flywheel, and the car became impossible to drive on the street. Slipping it so much during street driving has worn that clutch out much too quickly. Revved like a bike though, sounded so badass.

I have read that e36 m3 240mm stock clutches can hold a good amount of torque, even boosted, due to the increased friction area. I like the fact that the clutch is stock, and it has driveability and holding power. I guess I'm getting old, because this is what I want now.

Has anyone done this?

-Derek

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

what pressure plate would you use? is the 240mm flywheel not larger than the 228mm?

I'm faced with a similar decision. I'm wondering if I can re-use my lightened 228mm single mass flywheel on the new motor, but I'd like a 240mm clutch or something similar that can hold it together. a 240mm aluminum flywheel, pressure plate, and M5 clutch will work but it's going to be like $1500..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That's exactly my reasoning for wanting to try and use a 240mm disc with a 228mm flywheel and pressure plate. The m5 clutch option is ok, but it's expensive.

I would assume I would have to use the stock 228mm pressure plate, which I also understand does not have as great as clamping force as the sachs m3 pressure plate. The 240mm one would be to much work to fit, unless there is a single mass 240mm pressure plate that would set the correct thickness to the entire package so as to not have to modify the pivot fork.

Comment

you can get a sachs HD (618 ) pressure plate that should have plenty of clamping force.

I guess I don't understand how the 228mm flywheel has enough surface area for a 240mm clutch to work.. but if it did, then I would like to try. :)
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Ok, so I lined up a 3 flywheels, 4 discs, and 4 pressure plates

m52 328i flywheel
          m20 325i flywheel
          m20 323i flywheel

I have 4 different pressure plates:

Sachs
          Typ MF 228 (m20 single mass)
          Typ M 240 (m52 dual mass)
          Typ MF 240 (s5x dual mass)
          LUK
          240mm (m52 dual mass)

and I have 4 different discs:

Sachs 228mm Unsprung Hub (m52 dual mass)
          Sachs 228mm Sprung Hub (m20 single mass)
          Ebay 228mm "Stage 3" Sprung Hub 6-puck (m20 single mass)
          Unknown 240mm Unsprung Hub 6-puck (s50 dual mass)

Ill start here.

I pulled the clutch out of an m50 swapped e21, and what was used was a dual mass flywheel from a 525i/328i, a Typ M 240 pressure plate and a Sachs 228mm unsprung disc. The disc I thought was 240mm because of the pressure plate, unfortunately, was not the case. As I measured it out today and it turns out it was actually a 228mm disc (measured at 224mm diameter).

I then decided to sit the s50 6 puck 240mm disc (measures 238mm) on top of the m20 flywheel and cap it off with a Typ MF 228 pressure plate, and it doesn't fit at all. The diameter of the pressure plate is too large for the flywheel. So there goes that idea.

So I try a different pressure plate; the Typ M 240 is about the same diameter as the flywheel, so with a little machine work it will fit, and the LUK 240mm is closer, but of course the pins don't line up. For both pressure plates, you will have to make some sort of spacer for the pressure plate since the m52 DMF has a raised step for the pressure plate mounting surface. It's 5mm above the disc surface. Then you will have to calculate the thickness and counter that with the pivot fork...

The Typ MF 240 won't work at all.

at this point I just said fuck it. Too much work. I'll just swap the starter for an m42/m/s5x starter, and drop in one of those single mass setups for the m/s5x, all could be had for about $500.

So yeah. lol.

Comment

what about a 240mm single mass pressure plate?

too bad it didn't work out..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

MM sell a kit for this using M5 (e28?) PP with SM FW? ive been using it for a decade
              Last edited by digger; 03-16-2016, 03:06 PM.
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

which kit? they don't have many details on their website.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Hrm... so looking at this old sale thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=298210

make me wonder cause that m30/s38 sm fw looks very similar to the m20 flywheel. If we could fit that 240mm PP and a 240mm clutch disc then we may have a decent solution. there are tons of 240mm discs to choose from too

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    which kit? they don't have many details on their website.

$1100 12lb 240mm clutch, uses stuff from M5 iirc (tried to find email but couldn't find it, may try again), they do all the mods for you i dont recall what that entails and if you could DIY for less $$$. i seem to recall a beefier option available than a stock m5 clutch but i may have been confusing with the UUC o240mm clutch kit with alloy FW
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Just quickly skimmed the thread, but there's no way you'll fit the 240mm clutch on the m20 flywheel.

Options:
                      aftermarket M5x single mass + sprung hub 240mm disc + M3 HD pressure plate, or sachs 792 PP depending on goals.

M30 single mass + spung hub 240mm disc + Sachs 765 PP
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Speaking of clutches, just looking at doing a new single mass since I'm swapping the gravelly sounding 209k mi 260 for an 80k pristine one. Sachs or Valeo? Mild M20b28 street car here. Always seemed that Sachs was touted as the choice, but hearing some neg stuff about rattling/vibration now.

Comment

I don't know how a single mass flywheel could rattle. that's usually the transmission input bearings that rattle with a light flywheel.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

What about UUC's options for the M20 flywheel? I just bought one of the 9 button cerametallic clutches after UUC was recommended to me by John of WOT-Tech (forcedfirebird). I was going to get the Kevlar clutch, which I was told will hold the power goal I have for my future M20 swap (will be shooting for around 400whp), but Rob of UUC recommended the cerametallic because it's easy to cook the kevlar clutch at the drag strip. I haven't installed it yet, but it's "streetable" with "stepped engagement" according to Rob. Not cheap or smooth, but not nearly as expensive as the M5 setup. I'll report on how it feels after I install it this or next week. Yes, it's going behind an M42, but I'm using an M20 flywheel.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 3-17

Comment

I've heard enough stories of bad UUC service that I'm not sure I'd want to go down that path. Maybe through a 3rd party reseller.

I ended up getting a hookup for a (used) M5 clutch/pressure plate - it doesn't look like it has many miles on it, so now all I need is an $600 flywheel. lol.

Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X