Odometer still doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odometer still doesn't work

First of all, I tried looking in the search for a thread of the same issue but didn't find anything that could help me, my apologies if this is a repeated thread.

I just replaced the odometer gear set for my 1989 325i and when I put it back it still doesn't want to work. What else could cause the odometer to malfunction?. I took out the whole thing again and still can't find what's wrong. I tried the search for odometer troubleshooting but all threads talk about the gear set which I already replaced. On a sidenote, I also replaced the batteries and that issue was effectively corrected, the fuel gauge, speedometer, tachometer and temp gauge all work properly.

this is how it looks right now, everything seems to be in place but for some reason it still doesn't roll miles

Also, I replaced both of the light bulbs and I still have one half without illumination, any suggestion for this?

Thanks in advance

With the small gear removed, you car spin all the other gears to verify they are in the proper order. It's possible to get the two new big gears in the wrong location.

If the bulb is good and the contacts are clean you may need to reflow you circuit board. Thumping the cluster sometimes helps turn on a "dead" bulb.

Good luck.

Comment

You have a bad circuit board in the gauge cluster. Buy another one and swap the main boards. I had this same problem where only on half lit up. Some trace was burnt out and there is no easy way to find it. You can bake the board and try to reflow, chances are that youll fry it anyway. Old components dont like heat.

Sent from th
      sigpic
      1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
      I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Originally posted by itsonlygeorge View Post
        You have a bad circuit board in the gauge cluster. Buy another one and swap the main boards. I had this same problem where only on half lit up. Some trace was burnt out and there is no easy way to find it. You can bake the board and try to reflow, chances are that youll fry it anyway. Old components dont like heat.

Sent from th

It's very dangerous to heat electrical components in your oven. So don't do it.

OP, do a search for Bavarian Restoration on here. I think the owners name is Greg. He can help you sort out your issue and can even restore your entire cluster if you'd like? I haven't used him for this, but have purchased other things from him (new upgraded ground cables) and can attest that the workmanship is phenomenal.

Comment

Just go to a junk yard and pull a cluster and replace it. Swap your speedo in and you're good.

Sent from th
          sigpic
          1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
          I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses

Regarding the odometer, I took out all the gears and tried to swap the order but they seemed to be in the correct order. However, the smallest gear (the white one) was not properly tight, I put it back again and I will test it tomorrow to see if that was the problem.

The only thing that bothers me is that I just did a battery change to my board but I will try to look for a used one or a refurbished one to see if I have better luck this time. Thanks again

Comment

So did you end up fixing the odometer cause mine is still not working after changing the gears.....i wonder if it some thing to do with the speedo unit itself..
              sigpic

Comment

+1
                Curious if you were able to get it figured out. I changed my odometer wheels and it worked for a bit then stopped and now it works at random times. Wondering if something is not on tight enough.

I also started having the light out on the right side after I did this. Haven't dug into it yet but curious if replacement is the only way to go or if you were able to replace the bulb or anything else to fix it.

Comment

Could be the small gear making it work randomly and did the light work before you removed it.
                  Isn't fun working on these...
                  sigpic

Comment

Light worked before I removed the cluster.

Makes sense about the little gear. Just trying to get my ducks (parts) in row before I pull it out.

Comment

ya i'm on the 3rd removal and install on the cluster and just getting pretty much fed up removing it...And the odometer reads 60 k miles
                      sigpic

Comment

@rustneversleeps - Did you get the light issue figured out?

Comment

All my cluster lights work no prob,still the odometer still not working.
                          Speedo and tach work fine,gas gauge reads half full to 3/4 full but that another topic and the temp goes up to 3/4 then goes back to less then half but again another topic..
                          sigpic

Comment

Could be a bad set of gears. I replaced mine this week too, and the odometer is binding with the new gearset installed. It does turn freely without the new gears.

I contacted Garagistic and they cheerfully sent out a new set of gears tonight. Fingers crossed that this fixes it. I am also getting tired of installing and removing my cluster.
                            Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                            1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                            Palm Beach County

Comment

Looks like your drive gear isn't all the way down. Also, Garagistic had a defective batch of Motometer gears. They had burrs in between the teeth which caused the gears to bind. The gears must turn smoothly for the motor to drive them. Inspect your gears if they are Motometer gears.
                              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                              X