Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Das Beast Solid Steering Linkage - No Longer Available

Das Beast Solid Steering Linkage

Pretty sure you guys will want one of these.

Das Beast solid steering linkage replaces the rubber link in your steering assembly, improving handling and road feel. Machined from a solid block of 6061 aluminum it is a direct fit for E30 OEM steering linkage. Compatible with the stock E30 rack or Z3 / M3 swapped racks.

Prototype shown below. Final product has slightly chamfered 45 degree corners, but other wise is identical. Requires 2x M8-50 #8 bolts, lock washers, nuts and Loctite for assembly (Available at your local Lowes or Home Depot).

Doing a run of 10 next week. First come, first serve. Price is $80 each, plus USPS shipping. I'll start a separate thread on For Sale to track it.

List Date: 4/28/2017

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Das Beast Solid Steering Linkage
    --------------------------------------
    This item is no longer available.

--------------------------------------
    Last edited by dvallis; 04-30-2017, 08:32 AM. Reason: Part redesign.
    "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

9 available

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Is there a reason this is so much more expensive compared to, say, the AKG Aluminum solution that includes hardware?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Low quantity machining costs. If I made 1000 it would be cheaper. Doing 10 at a time now. Bolts are $2 at Lowes so i don't see that as an issue.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

//

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
            Low quantity machining costs. If I made 1000 it would be cheaper. Doing 10 at a time now. Bolts are $2 at Lowes so i don't see that as an issue.
            So a cut and three holes...

Lets do the math

5 min per cut = 5
            2 min per hole= 6

That's 11 minutes per piece... times 10 equals 110

110/60 =1.83333333333

So lets say 2 hours including set up... Charging $80 per piece, you're pulling in $400 an hour minus the cost of material and bolts, and lets be honest you can order both for less than $50 a batch

And here is the really disappointing part... The reason why the I.E. and AKG products are like that is to keep the joints in the correct phase so they don't ware out faster.

:rippedoff:
            sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

So math genius, please give me the phone number of a machinist who will do 10 pieces for $50 total and I'll give him a call. Otherwise, have a nice time in fantasy land.

And by the way, it takes my machinist 30 - 40 minutes to make each one. I watched him do it.
              Last edited by dvallis; 04-29-2017, 05:58 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

u-joints are out of phase, previous post is correct. Yoke need to be in phase for proper articulation of joints. I'm not talking out of my ass, I am educated on driveshafts and u-joints and the same rules apply to your steering shaft. U-joints must be in phase or they will not work together properly. You may be able to get a visual aide on Spicer life .com. Sorry to be the bad news bear.
                sigpic

Comment

Having said that, I really admire what your doing to Das Beast. Lots of good work in that thread
                  sigpic

Comment

Good feedback. I completely missed that. Just did some reading about steering u-joints and sure enough, they have to be in phase. Actually glad you caught it. I can cancel the run and CAD a new one.
                    Last edited by dvallis; 05-03-2017, 02:20 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

nice, glad you were able to get it corrected before they were made.
                      sigpic

Comment

I found a good deal on M8 grade 10.9 bolts and nuts so will be able to throw them in as well.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Here the one I did for less than 10bucks years ago shortened to fit e36 and e46 rack alternate to the spacers. Those rivet holes are actually m9 or 9mm. m8 is too small, and 3/8" is too big without bore the hole.
                          That is a door hole cover plate I got from Homedepot.
                          sigpic
                          327is
                          325es
                          325es
                          318is
                          Fiesta ST
                          E46 M3

Comment

Working...
                          X