Computer thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
    Also does anyone have any 8gb sticks off DDR3 they wanna offload for cheap? im just gonna buy an i7 for my current set up and limp it along until 2nd gen Zen chips are out.
    Can't believe how much memory has gone up in cost... was looking back at what I paid 2 years ago for 16 GB of DDR4 (2 sticks), and saw my $78 memory is now $180! Darn miners/memory shortage!

Comment

Originally posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
      Look at the power phases. The better the VRM setup the higher the likelihood of your PC lasting longer.

For budget I go with MSI (German designed), and for top shelf I go with Asus. I have one Gigabyte motherboard and it was their top of the line for that series. I use it for the PCIe slots but have seen a lot of complaints regarding their lower tier stuff.

Every manufacturer makes lemons but I would look at the Asus ROG Crosshair VI extreme and then see how many of those features you can pack into the cheapest board. ROG Strix B350 gaming looks like a good budget board with quite a few features but to each their own.

Don't overlook cooling and case solutions.
      I'll post what I come up with and get your input and the input of others before I pull the trigger.

Thanks again guys
      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
      Q
      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyboy101 View Post
        Can't believe how much memory has gone up in cost... was looking back at what I paid 2 years ago for 16 GB of DDR4 (2 sticks), and saw my $78 memory is now $180! Darn miners/memory shortage!
        Fuck dude i know! i dont want to spend the same price almost to buy older ddr3 if i could just buy brand new ddr4 it feels wrong XD

Comment

I just looked at pricing for memory lol

jeeeez
          Q

Comment

Its not even high demand, its a legit conspiracy made to price ram higher.
            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
            willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
              Don't overlook cooling and case solutions.
              I wouldn't stress over adding any extra case fans, in my experience they don't really do much except add noise.

I've been running a 1070 and 6500 i5 for about a year and a half, runs everything awesome. From the benchmarks I saw, pairing a high end processor with a high end video card is a waste of money as there was no significant performance improvement, so I'd just get the cheapest mid level processor you can and go for a high end video card.

I've been running MSi boards and video cards for years, all been very stable and user friendly. I will recommend you stay away from Zotac video cards. I built a new PC last year and saw some great reviews for their 1070 extreme edition so I took a chance on it, but the way the fans work is absolute garbage. Really wishing I'd just bought the cheaper 1070 from MSi, or kept my aging 6970 for a while longer, that was a really great card for how old it was and the overclocking abuse I put it through.
              My Feedback

Comment

My Mini-ITX build

Figured with the resurgence of this thread, I'd share my current pc build:

Case is a Silverstone FT03 Mini - at 15 in tall, it is pretty compact, specced for mini-ITX mobo and SFX PSU. This case has only one fan, mounted on the bottom which pushes air up via convection. Because of the small clearance between components in the case, the pc has to be built in a specific order. Makes things a bit more challenging, but I personally love the tiny footprint.

CPU is an intel 6600K (Skylake), being cooled by a Corsair H60 CLC

Ram is 16 GB of aforementioned 'much cheaper at the time' Corsair DDR4 ram

For storage, this is my first tower build to run entirely on non HDD storage
                -512 gb Toshiba RD400 NVME m2 drive mounted on the back of the mobo
                -256 gb Crucial MX100
                -512 gb OCZ Vertex 4

GPU is a Gigagbyte GTX1070. This card doesn't fit into the case as it comes, being too long for the space in the front of the case. Fitting it requires some surgery on the base to accommodate the GPU cooler. One of the reasons I went with the 'Founders Edition' card is its ability to pull air through the card and vent it without needing stellar airflow.

Sound is routed via usb to my mini DAC/amp Schiit Fulla (It shows up in windows as 'Fulla schiit' :nice:)

Comment

My "new" and "fast" computer is laughable compared to the stuff in this thread. I haven't built a computer since ~2006, when I put together my old gaming pc which hasn't worked in years. Been laptop only since then. Just picked up a HP Z400 with a xeon and 16gb of ram for free from my Dad and it's hilarious how much faster this old workstation is than my old gaming pc, runs FS2004 with the graphics turned all the way up no problem I can't justify spending money anything faster for home use though, this will run photoshop and solidworks just fine for my purposes and I don't have time for/interest in vidya games anymore.

What I'm really stoked for is the new i7 powered Thinkpad I ordered this weekend. I'm finally replacing my well-worn 6 year old i3 HP laptop and this laptop will blow the tower in my office out of the water (i7 7500U, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX950M 2GB).

Reminder that the pointing stick is the manual transmission of laptop interfaces
                  Last edited by varg; 11-27-2017, 09:58 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

Small PC Bros Johnny
                    20170914_185731 by Wschnitz, on Flickr
                    20170918_191051 by Wschnitz, on Flickr
                    20170918_191100 by Wschnitz, on Flickr
                    20171018_084159 by Wschnitz, on Flickr
                    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                    willschnitz

Comment

Small PC Bros Johnny
                      Nice Noctua fans there - they are pricey, but they are the only fans I will use. Best sound/performance combo out there. Also love the m2 nvme drive - it's so damn small!!!
                      Last edited by Johnnyboy101; 11-27-2017, 09:53 PM. Reason: Apparently don't know how to use quote button...take 2

Comment

Updated my case recently... not quite as small though

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Computer thread!!!

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                          I just looked at pricing for memory lol

jeeeez

FWIW

Just upgraded to a 7600k, Asus Z270E, 2x8GB Corsair DDR4, with some other odds and ends about 2 months ago. I have a Gigabyte GTX970 that I bought in like 2015. It’s a pretty sweet little set up. Need to start tinkering with the clock setting, but I get anywhere from 80-200 frames on a wide array of games.

Not sure exactly what your planning to use it for, but the guy that I play games with the most has a 1700x, and the 7600k blows it out of the water from what I’ve seen. But AMD>Intel for multitasking, so it depends on what you use it for.

Kind of off topic, but I totally forgot it was cyber Monday, and didn’t check to see what Newegg was having fire sales on. Feelsbadman

Edit: Also, Noctua coolers FTW. My NH-14 is stupid quiet and I’ve never seen my temps above 160. And I’ll snap a pic of my set up tomorrow, now that I’ve gotten pretty much everything buttoned up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by flyboyx
                          how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
                          Originally posted by Northern
                          beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
                          Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
                          Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
                          '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
                          Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Pubg and music production is what I’m using it for lol

Q

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                              Pubg and music production is what I’m using it for lol

PUBG is one of the hardest games on my PC and I hardly ever drop below 80 frames with all graphics set to max except foliage and shadows.

I’ve been playing a lot of Escape From Tarkov recently, and for how poorly optimized that game is (makes PUBG look buttery smooth), I have very little issues with it other than the server desync.

Originally posted by flyboyx
                              how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
                              Originally posted by Northern
                              beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
                              Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
                              Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
                              '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
                              Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

I am looking forward to this semester being over soon. I will have time for gaming again as well as wrenching.

I had to step away from tinkering on my e30s a couple years back due to surgeries on my left foot. With the down time I got way into building computers. Now I have a balance between computers and cars.

I need to update the pictures in my builds, but they are all here. This is the site that got me hooked on PC modding so beware.

http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/6291628

If the link doesn't work I will post up pictures, suffice it to say that for each of my big builds I could buy a very well sorted e30 from Bring a Trailer.
                                sigpic
                                Gun control means using both hands
                                Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Working...
                                X