Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kid8 View Post
    The same thing happened to my heater valve. Luckily I caught it before it dumped as much coolant as yours, no fun. Love all the little touches on your car, it's such an animal.
    Oh well, it's all part of the game. I'm halfway through all the work to pull the carpet out with the center console already removed. After that it's just a matter of removing the seats, kick panels and door sills. I guess with the carpet and seats out it'll be easy to get to the rear where I have two small areas over the wheel wells that I never got around to covering with the microsuede...

Thanks for the compliments though! I'm looking forward to seeing your work on your bronzit
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Regarding that heater valve. I would highly recommend pulling the new one back out, removing the 4 bolts, replacing the o-rings with new ones, and then adding RTV to the metal block/plastics housing faying surfaces and then reassembling. I went through 2 brand new valves that leaked straight out of the box. It took a little while for the first 2 to leak (a week or so of daily driving), but they ended up leaking. After disassembling the first two after use and finding pinched/sheared o-rings I opened the third one straight out of the box. Unused, it had pinched o-rings. I replaced the o-rings and sealed with RTV and haven't had any issues over the last year or so of use.

P.S. I love this build. i have been reading in the background and it is massive inspiration for my own autox/daily driver toy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Me View Post
        Regarding that heater valve. I would highly recommend pulling the new one back out, removing the 4 bolts, replacing the o-rings with new ones, and then adding RTV to the metal block/plastics housing faying surfaces and then reassembling. I went through 2 brand new valves that leaked straight out of the box. It took a little while for the first 2 to leak (a week or so of daily driving), but they ended up leaking. After disassembling the first two after use and finding pinched/sheared o-rings I opened the third one straight out of the box. Unused, it had pinched o-rings. I replaced the o-rings and sealed with RTV and haven't had any issues over the last year or so of use.

P.S. I love this build. i have been reading in the background and it is massive inspiration for my own autox/daily driver toy.
        No kidding, thank you for the tip! I'll pop it all apart over the weekend. Still have to pull up the driver carpet to let it dry out. I also didn't have all the right o-rings for the heater valve tubes so I want to swap them as well. Any chance you remember what sizes the o-rings were in the valve?

And I'm glad you enjoy the build, thanks!
        Shadetree30

Comment

man...the color matched flares look GOOD. I was wondering if it'd be weird looking in bronzit and left mine black
          89 325i 4dr s52
          02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
          21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
            man...the color matched flares look GOOD. I was wondering if it'd be weird looking in bronzit and left mine black
            they do look good :) thanks!
            Shadetree30

Comment

OP I apologize if I missed it, but would you mind sharing where you got or what type of fender welting you used? I am getting ready to install the Hard Motorsports fender flares on my E46 and want to use welting with them.

PS: we need more updates, I'm having Bronzit withdrawals!

Comment

Originally posted by Rain30 View Post
                OP I apologize if I missed it, but would you mind sharing where you got or what type of fender welting you used? I am getting ready to install the Hard Motorsports fender flares on my E46 and want to use welting with them.

PS: we need more updates, I'm having Bronzit withdrawals!
                Don't think I mentioned it before. Bought it from Jegs. It'll pop up if you just search "fender welting". Pretty sure Summit and a few other places carry it too.

Bronzit updates are coming! I've just been busy, but not putting it off :)

I pulled the whole carpet out. Initially I thought I could just lift up the driver side to dry it out, but it was SOAKED literally like a sponge saturated with water. When I squished it, water came gushing out. Luckily its mostly distilled water... So I sucked up as muc as I could from both carpet and footwell and have been letting them sit exposed to dry. Probably best that i pulled the carpet anyway as it seems the 2 weeks of water sitting already started to cause some light rusting which I'll wire wheel and spray.

In my quest to finally resolve the weird clutch engagement/disengagaement I picked up a clutchmasters hydraulic TOB. Going to drop the trans again and also make some mods to the clutch as per clutchmasters suggestions. They recommended removing the return springs in case they were binding up anywhere and causing the clutch to slide unevenly.

Lastly, I finally got the M52 from my e36 convertible from my other garage so I can start working on it and get that car closer to completion. I'm also probably going to pull the head from it, have it checked and swap it onto the e30. At this point I'm fairly certain there's a high RPM/heavy load HG leak putting pressure into the coolant system. Now that I've replaced literally every single component of the cooling system and it holds pressure, I notice that after the car is cold and has sat overnight, pressure comes out the cap when removed.

Shadetree30

Comment

Mmmm juicy parts
                  Hank Ahrens
                  1984 Alpine Coupe
                  1978 911sc

Comment

Is there much benefit to a hydro TOB?
                    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
                      Mmmm juicy parts
                      Yes I love juicy parts
                      Originally posted by econti View Post
                      Is there much benefit to a hydro TOB?
                      Lol we'll see!

Based on my brief research its a better match for the aggressive twin disk im running. Its a much smaller clutch diameter clutch pack with PP fingers like half the length of oem, so there are significantly higher forces on the TOB than normal, not to mention all the mechanical movements that will be eliminated. Also hoping the pedal will be a bit softer.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

Based on my brief research its a better match for the aggressive twin disk im running. Its a much smaller clutch diameter clutch pack with PP fingers like half the length of oem, so there are significantly higher forces on the TOB than normal, not to mention all the mechanical movements that will be eliminated. Also hoping the pedal will be a bit softer.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                        this car gets cooler and cooler. Major hot rod points man
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

So I've been feeling a little bad lately that I haven't gotten enough work done on the e30, but looking at the photos made me realize how much I actually did do in 1.5 weeks. Maybe the progress hasn't been too bad after all.

Started breaking down the M52

Fun to use these big sockets every once in a while. Makes me feel like a man child.

Most of the top end apart

Head off. Looks fairly clean. Apparently, this wasn't the "factory fresh" motor I thought it was when I bought it ~5 years ago. The head has stamps on it that it was a replacement and it had a VR headgasket. Oh well.

Organization

The block surface looks very clean. Minimal corrosion around the water ports. Maybe it does have 60k on it afterall I'll make some cover plates for the top and bottom so I can sandblast it at work :devil:

Head looks okay

Water jetted and welded up my own crank tool to get the jesus bolt off. Worked perfectly.

Head was dropped off in the morning and picked up in the afternoon... I did not expect this kind of turnaround. And $150 to get it cleaned, surfaced, crack checked, new valve stem seals and valve job :D

More shelf brackets to put all the engine parts

Parts

Here's the hydraulic TOB and shims. You have to measure the stack height of the pressure plate/clutch to transmission mounting surface (engine block) and subtract that from the measurement - transmission flange to TOB flange and then add the appropriate shims to get ~.125 TOB -> pressure plate gap. This is important because the new TOB only has about an inch of travel so with too much of a gap you may not have full clutch travel, and you want the pedal to be tight without play.

Receiver mounted in the trans

Installed

Beginning to disassemble to pull the head
                          ad

Got a little leak on the left of the valve cover. Can't really tell where it's coming from. I suspect that middle nut/grommet but I'm not totally sure. When I pulled it off and inspected the seals both the spark plug seals and the main outer seal were dry both on the head side and the cover side. I'll slime that grommet with some curil-t when i reassemble and see if it helps.

Looking clean under the valve cover

I got these cool russel EFI adapter fittings to help convert the fuel lines to AN/push lock. I was never happy with the hose clamped gates fuel hose because while it was "correct" for the chassis hardlines (they are flared hose barb) the fuel rail was meant for some special clip on fittings and is not flared for hose clamps so the hose isn't very tight or secure. I have tube adapters for the body hard lines.

Old head. No sign of leaking HG. Not sure why I was getting pressure in the coolant. I'll have to have it pressure tested.

Shadetree30

Comment

progress on the M52, does this mean the vert will be back in 2018?
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              progress on the M52, does this mean the vert will be back in 2018?
                              Absolutely. I've done quite a bit of work that I haven't posted or shared anywhere. The engine bay is painted and the car is down on the ground on new suspension. Just need to transport it to my new place now.

Here are the rest of the photos I didn't have time to post yesterday.

Engine all apart and ready to be cleaned

Ran some 600 grit wet sandpaper with wd40 over the block a couple of times to completely clean the surface for the new gasket. Also removed the old o-rings

First ring in

All the rings done

Head on and torqued

Cams going in and getting torqued... torque all the fasteners. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

Sand blasted and repainted the vanos since the paint was flaking off

Polished one of the vanos thrust washers since it had some scoring on it

So now the head is assembled, just waiting to get the valve cover back on it. Then need to finish fuel lines, install exhaust manifolds and intake manifold.
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Wow! Didn't think you could get a head refreshed that cheap and quick. I gotta call my machine shop...
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X