Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

damn... we r3ved ourselves... always have to quote the post before it gets taken down...

YGBTQ guy, just focus on what you are trying to get done in your life and dont worry about the idiots over here. we flame because we like the heat

in other news, BaT felt there was too much white, so now theres a red E30
      Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1990 BMW 325is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #8,371.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

:)
        Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
        COTM Aug 2019

Comment

That M5. I don’t know if I will ever have the means to get one, those e28 M5 cars are really special.
          My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
          I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

I will say, it does seem like the seller of that S54 M3 has improved his attitude and is being a bit more engaging with the BAT commentators. Maybe he was just in a bad spot on the old posting - we all have off weeks.

It does reinvigorate my want to install an S54 in the touring...
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

What happened?

I thought Rui had a well sorted shop.

Assembling these things are never easy. Props to Rui for the effort although now I am questioning,,,,,who slapped on the Japanese brakes???????????????

What did you have to repair?

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
              Got it - I'll delete the beginning of my post. I don't mean any harm but sorry I caused it. I guess I'm super curious about the car because I bought my s54/6-speed from Joey/Azevado and it was a total disaster. It seems crazy that it went from Joey to another guy, to you and still had all the problems you listed.
              Last edited by Javier h; 02-23-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Cars are one of those hobbies that are difficult to just break even on.

Once you start caring, your chance of making profit/breaking even drops considerably.

Unless you are a shop, and having a paying customer, you have to remain detached from the car. I've done both, and cars that I know I am trying to sell for profit, I only do what is necessary to make it safe/reliable and ignore the want to "improve" it. Stuff that is for my own personal collection - pretty much go in the "loss" column for the year.. :)
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Ygtbsm1969
                  I know you guys are having a meltdown on wanting to know whats up with the M3 S54 so here is the history as best I can put it together. Please be nice I can only give you what I have figured out.
                  Joey bought the car around 2001, 2nd owner
                  Around 2008-9 Lost compression and had major s14 issues
                  2007-09 s52 installed by Azevedo Very well documented and great work
                  2009 problem with s52 or outgrown
                  2009-10 s54 started completed late 2011
                  Not really done major systems were not attached and engine was actually thrown together to make it ready to sell it appears
                  2011-12 Joey gets divorced and car goes to Oregon sale was 35G
                  2012-2014 less than 1000 miles total and Oregonite is having major issues, Cut off limp mode loss of power and codes.
                  He spends about 3g to shops trying to get it right but to no avail
                  Sells it 2015 and I get it and start the diagnosis
                  Problems
                  Maf sensor wiring
                  Leaking oil everywhere
                  worn cam rockers #2 total
                  Vanos exhaust hub broke and a few other vanos problems
                  Toyota rav 4 brake system, yuk!!!!!
                  Oil temp not attached for Vanos system
                  Fuel pump OEM e30 wrong Bar running 5 needs 7+
                  China knockoff fuel pressure regulator
                  Bad O2 sensors
                  Maf oil fouled from K&N
                  Major wiring gremlins that ended up being 3 alarms and some other wiring crazyness. That took a little time to figure out but actually wasnt that bad in the end. R3V posts and a little thinking and most things just came together.

Most the e30 stuff was dated and needed a little refresh
                  All the suspension rubber and brakes and such needed love

Ok Now the good
                  Great color
                  New carpets and sound deadning throughout
                  Solid engine and transmission after resealed and a little love
                  Wiring was pretty good and engine fitting was very good just needed a little tweak here and there
                  Great accent pieces like the front bumper, lip, wing, badges, and dash
                  the 17 inch BBS were nice but rubbed on the ground control and I hate GC not a good suspension for NM roads. So swapped it for stock tubes, eibach, and 16's with a little more rubber.

Overall it was a moderate fix, not a complete loss I had fun working on it and have driven her now over 2500 miles and smiled most of the time.

As far as making a profit or even breaking even. I had to step back and look at in perspective. Fun, learned alot, head turner in every venue I took her to. Value is in the eyes of the buyer. I wont make anything but truefully that wasnt the reason to fix it. I started thinking it was worth some high amount because of the work but in truth, I rescued a car that hadnt been driven more than 1000 miles total in 5 years. It was a train wreck and I got to bring it back, owned it, drove it and had the pride of saying I actually did all the work to finish and restore it.
                  Maybe it will sell or maybe it wont and maybe I wont get back half what I got in it. I dont care actually it was fun, and I got to save a iconic machine to send it down the road again. I actually just hope the next buyer is respectful and continues to fix it and make it better. I would like to see her on the roads in 20 more years still turning heads.

George
                  George its always tough to fix someone elses project, and its never going to turn a profit unless you have a plethora of spares and a lot of time to complete the work yourself. Kudos to you for getting it to this point.

Im pretty sure it will meet the reserve, and you can move on to the next car. I believe you have a few E30s (I know theres also a Touring), so hopefully you arent leaving E30s entirely, but we each have our own path in life.

Good luck with the auction and everything else, it seems like these last 5-10 years have been quite a lot for you

-Simon
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Thanks for the background

Like with any modified car, you really need to drive it to work out the kinks but seriously toyota rav brakes? I am starting to question the intent of the builder who threw this car together initially. Sounds like they ran out of money and wanted to make it functional enough to sell or leave it up to the next seller to upgrade things further. Glad you were able to save it.

Can't believe PO threw $3k to try to repair things and threw in the towel.
                    Last edited by Javier h; 02-24-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Very high mileage cabrio just sold at $9,300. It was in good shape, but has some needs. Interesting that the buyer will be taking it to Belgium. Price seemed high, but maybe I’m out of the loop.
                      1992 325i Cabrio
                      1988 320i Touring
                      2000 M5
                      1977 530i
                      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                      BMWCCA
                      E30CCA

Comment

These swap things are hard to gauge. I actually liked that recent black M3 with the throwing stars rims only because it seemed to be complete (AC) and not overly done. That hammered at 31k which I thought was a great reasonable price given all the nonsense with these e30 m3s.

Bid for the chance to own a S52-Powered 1990 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #7,886.

Sure no S54 but modified enough to make it a nice daily that people could afford or repair.

Daily? Yes daily. That's the beauty of driving a swapped M3....the investment issue isn't as great as if you were driving a garage queen low mileage S14.

I am sure it still needed some work.

Last edited by Javier h; 02-24-2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                          These swap things are hard to gauge. I actually liked that recent black M3 with the throwing stars rims only because it seemed to be complete (AC) and not overly done. That hammered at 31k which I thought was a great reasonable price given all the nonsense with these e30 m3s.

Bid for the chance to own a S52-Powered 1990 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #7,886.

Sure no S54 but modified enough to make it a nice daily that people could afford or repair.

Daily? Yes daily. That's the beauty of driving a swapped M3....the investment issue isn't as great as if you were driving a garage queen low mileage S14.

I am sure it still needed some work.

Yes... What is the s54 premium? 2-5k? Having put a boat load into my s54 swap I wish it was more but nowadays they are becoming more common so that's probably what it is. AC really is a 500-2k fix but without it the market definitely narrows . That black one was nice with a fresh paint job. It willbereally interesting to see what this s54 car goes for. Presents really well.
                          COTM Aug 2019

Comment

As usual people are now asking about the possibility of smogging the s54 car in California. I feel like every one of these BMW swapped cars devolves into a "BAR" conversation...
                            COTM Aug 2019

Comment

thats why #1 I wouldnt put my swapped car on BaT until it got BARd, and #2 a BARd swapped car should get a LOT more money
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Bought for 42.5k on BAT and now listing on Craigslist for 60k

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1990 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #7,030.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...511498184.html

Comment

Working...
                                X