X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best oil

87' 325e
    163,XXX
    currently has mobil 1, not sure the SAE.

I have always ran Castol. Thats the factory cap for e46. So I would believe BMW would suggest this as well.
    AMS, Royal Purple, and Red Line will be the top self though.

[edit] Pic won't work. Go buy an E46 and lift the hood, it'll be quicker and easier than me fixing the picture.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Shell rotella T 15/40 diesel oil.

Cheap, and all the goodies for your top end
      Originally posted by codyep3
      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
      2010 F650gs twin
      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
        Shell rotella T 15/40 diesel oil.

Cheap, and all the goodies for your top end
        Yes, or M1 15w-50 if you like to spend $10 more to make you feel good.

Comment

Anything that is a brand that is on special at the time with the zinc for "older engines" in the specified oil grade for your climate.

I used to always buy penrite oil (well known ausi brand), but the price is out of control in the last few years. Getting up to $60AUD for a 5L. Started buying whatever was cheapest at the time that was some kind of brand. Valvoline, shell, whatever was on special and changing it somewhat regularly. generally can get oil and a filter for $40AUD. Unless you are getting regular oil analysis you've got no idea if your engine is wearing due to poor oiling anyway. Ignorance is bliss:)

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            Unless you are getting regular oil analysis you've got no idea if your engine is wearing due to poor oiling anyway. Ignorance is bliss:)
            Nailed it. You could use whale oil, and if one never revved over 50RPM the engine would probably last forever and that person would probably claim that whale oil is the best thing out there.

Comment

There's plenty of visual and measurable reference if you run a flat tappet cam on low zinc oil for extended periods. I've seen it many times on vintage rebuilds. I've seen cam lobe failures on Ford/Chevy push rod engines with flat tappets, as well as several m20's when running modern oils. zddp in some oils is below 550ppm as it bothers modern catalysts.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

We need an up to date list of oil that have over xxxppm zinc or whatever amount is thought necessary for our rocker motors.

Would narrow it down and get rid of the
                'i use castrol edge and i had no problems'

Comment

Most brands have a "older motor" line of oils. They all seem to have elevated zinc levels compared to the oil designed for the newer stuff. Just a matter of checking the back of the bottles while standing in the shop.

exhibit A:

HPR 30 is a premium high performance mineral, SAE 20W-60, non-friction modified engine oil. It features a DOUBLE LAYER of engine wear protection with FULL ZINC (approx. 1600 ppm levels) and Penrites advanced EXTRA TEN technology. Protects against corrosion, oil oxidation and sludge under all operating conditions. HPR 30 is recommended for use in vehicles where SAE 20W-40, SAE 30 or 20W-50 were originally recommended by the manufacturer. Application HPR 30 is designed for use in 4, 6 8+ cylinder naturally aspirated, supercharged and turbocharged petrol, LPG and diesel engines. It is also suitable for use in older Rotary engines. It is particularly suited for use under high load conditions such as towing and competition or where ambient temperatures are high. It can be used where ACEA A3/B3 is recommended in model years prior to 2017 and also where API SM and previous specifications SL (2001-04), SJ (1995-2000), SH (1992-1995) or SG (1989-1992) or earlier specifications are recommended.  HPR 30 is suitable for use in motorcycles with wet clutch assemblies and is also suitable for use in gearboxes requiring a SAE 30 non friction modified engine oil. It is suitable for use in vehicles with a combined engine / transmission application such as BMC Minis, especially those used in competition conditions. It is particularly suited for use in older Mazda Rotary engines in R100, RX-2, RX-3, RX-4, RX-5 and RX-7 used between 1969 and 1991. HPR 30 has been proven for years in race and competition conditions where it has an unequalled reputation for protection in engines requiring a high performance mineral oil. It is the product of choice for many competitors running competition vehicles in circuit drag racing, rallying, drifting, hill climb, targa, time trials and regularity. Vehicle and Fuel Types HPR 30 is suitable for passenger cars, 4WD's, light and heavy duty commercial vehicles, motorcycles, industrial and agricultural machinery. It is suitable for use in motorcycles with wet clutch assemblies and can also be used in gearboxes requiring a SAE 30 non friction modified engine oil. It is suitable for use in vehicles with a combined engine / transmission application such as BMC Minis, including those used in competition conditions. It is particularly suited for use in older Mazda Rotary engines in R100, RX-2, RX-3, RX-4, RX-5 and RX-7 used between 1969 and 1991. It is compatible with petrol / LPG E10 for on road use racing fuels such as methanol, nitro, avgas, alcohol E85 for competition use. It is an excellent choice for older engines running on LPG where it offers an increased level of protection over standard grade petrol engine oils in the same application. It is also suitable for older diesel engines requiring an API CF or earlier specification engine oil. Extra Ten Technology HPR 30 features the Penrite EXTRA TEN in the oil's SAE rating. This technology helps protect your engine by using a normal start up viscosity with an oil that has a higher operating temperature viscosity. This improves engine oil film strength, lowering frictional heat whilst providing an extra layer of anti wear protection over standard SAE grade oils, reducing engine wear in all driving conditions. Full Zinc HPR 30 is a fulI zinc formulation engine oil for greater protection of cam shafts, lifters and other internal engine parts from wear. No further zinc or other additive is needed with this product. Important Information when changing oil. NOTE: when changing oil, Penrite recommend using Penrite Engine Flush, a fast acting, solvent free, engine cleaning formulation that removes engine deposits, sludge and contaminants with the oil service drain. It contains added zinc for engine wear protection and its fast acting formulation works in 10 minutes. Please Note: A 58mm cap with pouring tap is available to fit 7, 10 20 litre packs. https://penriteoil.com.au/products/58mm-plastic-tap

Penrites "extra 10" PR branding is confusing to me. I don't quite understand why a different oil grade than specified in the cars manual is considered a selling point.

Comment

I'd worry about oil a little more on a performance m20, but on a stock eta not so much as long as you are running some oil formulated for older engines then you'll be sweet.
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

...well, and as the eta has valve springs out of ballpoint pens,
                      even zddp isn't a big concern....

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Toby, it seems that you're turning in to an ellipsis addict.

On another note it would be great if CCA memberships came with a yearly oil analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                          ...well, and as the eta has valve springs out of ballpoint pens,
                          even zddp isn't a big concern....

t
                          Same exact spring as a 325i, the b25 just got an additional inner spring :P
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

ended up going with Castrol GTX 20W-50

Comment

My 62k mile M20B27 engine has wear on every cam lobe, and one cam lobe is totally shot. The rockers are also scored, and the rocker shaft is grooved where the rockers pivot. I have a 150k mile B27 head with a perfect cam, it almost looks new. While there are many variables that can contribute to extreme wear, I believe this issue to be caused by an oil not suited for the job. I will be running a diesel oil or using a zinc additive after I rebuild the head.
                              Attached Files
                              Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Working...
                              X