Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Coolant Leak

Hey Guys,

The other day I come out of the office and I notice there is a puddle under my car (1990 325i). Check all the levels, added a little oil as it was low. Drove it home easy. Checked for leaks nothing obvious. Let it sit for a few days. Doesn't leak a drop. I figured maybe it was from another car and I just didn't notice. Drive it to work again, another small puddle. Take it home let it sit no leaks. I think I finally figured out why it would leak at work but not at home, let me know if this makes sense in theory. In the morning I had the heater on, so that opens another part of the cooling loop to the heater core correct? So I think the leak is in that part of the loop somewhere. Now my question is where do I start looking to track down this leak? I have crawled around under there and don't see anything obvious... Or should I let it get warm and blast the heater to see what happens?

Thoughts?

Thanks for any advice guys.

Reality is it could be anywhere. Best way to tell is to get a cooling system pressure test. you can buy the tool (i've borrowed one from a mate) it has a hand air pump. You connect it to your radiator and pump it up. And you look for a leak.

I had a small leak that I couldn't find until i let the car idle for AGES in the garage. turned out i had a tiny pinhole in the heater pipe that goes from the back of the head to the heater.

Your leak could be anywhere though.

Comment

+1 on the coolant pressure tester, the kit from Harbor freight has an adapter that fits the E30 coolant expansion tanks.

Pump it up to pressure, and you will see exactly where the leak is coming from.
      Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Thanks guys I will look into it

Comment

Working...
        X