Old vert neglected vert with broken t-belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member, old car, probably a lot of time and effort most people would scoff at, but a little back story first. I recently sold off a real nice Fiat 500 Abarth, that no matter the mods, money, or time I dropped into, I could never establish a care for. I still don't miss it one bit, and the thing never even gave me any problems! Wasn't difficult to work on, modded real easily, great little motor, and with some suspension and tires did well at auto-x. I always just felt a little eh about it though. Probably a subconscious thing, but I digress. I sold it and it left me with an open garage.

I had seen this old red e30 convertible for sale outside a local repair shop on and off for over a year. Looked pretty decent if you asked me!
    IMG_20180213_131239 by [URL="https://www.flickr.com/photos/153148878@N02/"]

I stopped to look at it on a few occasions, it was oxidized, and dusty, but it looked really rust free. Being from New England, this immediately turned me on. No rust... The things I could do with this! There was also a little dent on the drivers fender and below the drivers headlight. The interior wasn't half bad either, like one small crack in the dash and decent seats. Did I mention "NEEDS MOTOR" was written across the front windshield?
    IMG_20180213_131143 by [URL="https://www.flickr.com/photos/153148878@N02/"]
    IMG_20180213_131206 by [URL="https://www.flickr.com/photos/153148878@N02/"]

Well I stopped by one day to speak with the shop owner and see what the deal was with the car. He said it had been his car for a few years, he had enjoyed it, but the timing belt went and he couldn't ever find the time to get to it. I can understand this, I often find myself wishing I had more time to do a thing I like, versus the things that pay. So I offered him $500 for it. He turned me down, saying he needed $800 out of it, and told me all about how the tires were brand new... They are the wrong size, just fyi. Whatever, He wouldn't haggle. Unfortunately, we had a week of torrential rain coming. And the poor e30's rear window was almost non existent.
    IMG_20180213_131232 by [URL="https://www.flickr.com/photos/153148878@N02/"]
    It hurt me inside to think about it getting filled with water, the floorpans rusting away, seats molding. So I ponied up, went back to see the man, and paid him. Then I payed for a tow back to my garage.
    IMG_20180214_142131 by [URL="https://www.flickr.com/photos/153148878@N02/"]

It also happened to be Valentines day.. And I didn't get my girlfriend anything. She has her own BMW, a e90 335d, and took it well though. Said a little red convertible was a great gift, even if she didn't expect to ride or drive it for another 2 years. I hope she knows it mine!

So now I've got this thing taking up all my garage. I feel better, like nothing is missing in my life. Except when I go out to the garage, and see that it literally needs most everything! I still don't have a plan for it, besides pulling things apart and taking stock of the situation. I don't wanna spend any money on it, so first thing is pull out the interior. See how well off this car actually is.
    IMG_20180216_220446 by [URL="https://www.flickr.com/photos/153148878@N02/"]

Not bad. One offender found on the passenger floor pan.
    IMG_20180216_220523 by [URL="https://www.flickr.com/photos/153148878@N02/"]

Little crusty here and there, but this is ok. Right? This is probably a good point to say, I have never rebuilt an entire car. I have never done any rust repair. I have never pulled a motor. I have never found a wad of cash in an old car... Well there are a lot of things I haven't done. Putting a plan together for this car though should be on the list. So I let everything dry out and started reading.
    Last edited by kpg2713; 03-12-2018, 05:55 PM. Reason: image links

I am still reading... I also hate being idle. So I tried out one of these new fangled waterless washes. Rain-x actually, as its locally available and also one of the cheapest. I used it LIBERALLY as I was afraid of scratches and also used a heavy mat microfiber. I was actually quite surprised at how well it did, gave the paint some life back, and didn't scratch anything.
    IMG_20180301_205759
    IMG_20180301_205725

It did however, show me something I had missed. Hail damage over the entire car. It is nearly impossible to photograph with my poor lighting, but it is there on every panel... Not sure what combination of drugs, dirt, dust, and oxidized paint helped me miss this, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore as I own it.

In other news a very old dated envelope hiding in the glove box surprised me. While I didn't have a plan yet, I did have a cheaper car! Seriously, I ran inside and asked my girlfriend if I was dreaming. After pinching myself, I then start wondering, should I find the previous owner who left it? Should I go back and talk to the shop owner who apparently never opened the glove box? Proabably, but then again, who just forgets they left a wad of cash in their glove box? Maybe I don't want any interactions with this person. Moving on.

With my new found purchase price savings, what did I do? Found an e39 M5 6speed trans! I read these things will bolt up to any m60/m62.
    IMG_20180312_195418

Bet you didn't think this was going v8 swap were you? I know I wasn't. I couldn't pass this up though, the price was too right (maybe it is broken, though the guy I bought it from wanted to stay in touch) and it was too close to home. Not a lot of good it's doing me without a motor yet, but it's a start. Sooner or later a m6x car will have to land in one of my local junkyards, and when it does she will be mine!

Now that I'm starting to get an idea of where this car is going. Lets start tackling shit! Driver's door pops when you open and close it. Looks like spot welds that have given it up inside the a frame cavity.
    IMG_20180302_205334

Guess I'll clean these up and re-weld them. Unfortunately one is basically inaccessible. So I had to cut back some metal to get at it.
    IMG_20180304_210838

Think I should weld some material back over the opening? You can see in the photo it already has an opening there, but I'm worried I'll have to access it again and need to cut it back out. I've clean up the cut and threw primer over everything to keep it covered. Help me make up my mind.

Also, cleaned and welded in the floor patch I mentioned earlier.
    IMG_20180307_163653
    IMG_20180307_165705

I need to invest in a better welder. Also, clean back more than an inch on the undercoating. That stuff stinks. On low settings I kept burning through the floor as you can see. Probably should have gotten a gauge size smaller on the patch panel too.

IMG_20180307_172545

I need more skills. Primer before being ground down and seam sealer + Rust Bullet.

Also scrounged through the junkyard. Found some Bilstein B8's with H&R Springs. Will make a good starting point on the suspension. Shocks feel good working them by hand, I'm happy.

Comment

Poked around the car some more. Has some funky looking rotors. They weren't too used, but thinking bigger brakes in the future. Not sure if I should go 5 lug. I have a set of style 66's on my girlfriends car I'd love to steal back :)
      IMG_20180312_202704

Some battery tray rust I'll have to deal with :( I'd love to relocate the battery to the trunk, so this area may end up housing a coolant overflow.
      IMG_20180312_202727

And started tearing down the front end. Reading some of the other v8 swaps it seems like I should do a removable core support. I'm wondering if I should pull the motor before starting on that. Also need to find some place to put this hood. Anyone ever hung one on the wall? I have a spot in the back of my garage that would be perfectly out of the way. I'll have to check for studs and grab some hooks.
      IMG_20180312_202810

I borrowed a buddies engine hoist, and will start pulling the motor soon. If anyone needs any m20 stuff in VA let me know, I'm not looking for much.

Comment

Nice project! A v8 swap would be interesting. I don't think I've seen any convertible e30s with an m6x.
        '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
        '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Thanks man. I thought I read someone else saying they had one in Jean's v8 thread. I've been reading as much as I can though, it gets hazy.

Comment

Looks like fun. How much money did you get back ? If you don't mind me asking

Comment

"I don't want to spend any money on it"

"bet you weren't thinking of a V8 swap"

lol anyway, grab some flat black spray paint for your trim and grilles and check if you have a zip in rear window.. if so, the replacement one from emiata is pretty good

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Lucky you on the suspension find! Can’t wait to read more! We have the same car! #twinsies but I picked mine up for $1800 and definitely haven’t found any envelopes of cash. Bought mine early feb and drove it home but it’s sat in the garage as I wait for more parts to come in to finish the tune up I’m doing. Waterpump n t belt etc.

Comment

Diggin' the rehab, bring'er back!

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                    "I don't want to spend any money on it"

"bet you weren't thinking of a V8 swap"

lol anyway, grab some flat black spray paint for your trim and grilles and check if you have a zip in rear window.. if so, the replacement one from emiata is pretty good

Lol is right. At the time I bought this I wasn't thinking of an m60 swap... Things change, especially when the car wants it so bad it's paying me ;D

As far as the window, unfortunately it isn't a zip type. I've basically removed the remainder of it, as it was just crumbling away at a touch. Replacing the top is going to be in the near future. Probably gonna work on doing that while I'm looking around for a donor car or good junkyard find. Not even diving into cosmetics yet. That can go on next years budget!

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
                      Diggin' the rehab, bring'er back!

Your thread definitely helps motivate. Thanks dude!

Comment

In for progress. Good luck mate, looks good so far!

Comment

So I made a little progress this week. Got the engine and trans ready to come out. Exhaust out, everything disconnected, etc. Pretty much its chillin on some stands in the bay waiting for someone who wants her. Went smooth through disconnecting everything. Didn't take much for pictures. Anything in particular I should hold on to?

IMG_20180318_181949
                          IMG_20180325_180805

Comment

Working...
                          X