Can't remove fuel injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't remove fuel injectors

My fuel injectors seem to be stuck in the manifold. The Pelican Parts how-to just says to pull up on the fuel rail and it will all come out together. I have the manifold off, and I cannot hulk these things out at all. I've been using as much force as I can muster. I've sprayed them with PB Blaster. Running out of ideas here. I recently took the square metal clips off, but can't separate the fuel rail from the injectors either. I just wanted to clean them while I have it off for my starter motor replacement.

Are there any tips or tricks to pry these out? Would it be a bad move to flip the thing upside down, and tap on them from the bottom with a rubber mallet and socket extension? I don't want to damage them.

Last edited by irocz0r; 03-22-2018, 02:05 PM.

They are just held in with rubber o-rings. Keep on pulling, they will come off.

I used had to use a rather large lever arm to wedge it off. Put your lever in between rail and the inlet manifold and wedge the rail "out" of the injector bosses.

The real fun is putting them back in:D

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      They are just held in with rubber o-rings. Keep on pulling, they will come off.

I used had to use a rather large lever arm to wedge it off. Put your lever in between rail and the inlet manifold and wedge the rail "out" of the injector bosses.

This is correct. Use a tool to pry between the rail and manifold to lift it off.

Don't do what I did and push the injectors out from the pintle caps. Turns out the pintles stick out from the caps slightly, and I bent all mine. Pretty sure I busted all my injectors. It's alright though, they were old, mismatched, and I have two more sets from parts engines.

I would advise replacing O-rings and using a tiny bit of silicone grease on them. Wont hurt to remove the rust from the fuel rail surfaces that contact the O-rings of the injectors and FPR.
      Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Put the clips back on and use a pry bar.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Got em. I turned the manifold upside down, put a breaker bar down on the fuel rail, and stood on it. Went between doing that, and wiggling the bastards with all my might, and eventually they slid out one by one.

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          It never ends, does it!

Comment

Make sure you buy new injector seals and what not. Really worth doing them, so cheap.

I've seen o-rings go crusty they cause vac leaks.

Comment

I would just leave them alone. They're clean enough, and if your car runs fine then don't mess with them.

Comment

You could have put some heat on them with heat blower fan, bein careful to not melt something down... just slightly warming those rubber o rings would soften things up for you.
                I suggest using silicone spray to make it easy for you put it back together. Also new o-rings would make it more easy too.

Comment

Now that they are out. Before you reassemble, make sure those o-ring seats are CLEAN and you use new o-rings. I would hate to see you put it all back together and have leaks. Seems strange it took so much to remove them.
                  2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
                  X