No announcement yet.

Semaj4712 - 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man! Someone else that bounces around projects like crazy too! We have similar projects too :) No motorcycles for me yet, but i seem to bounce around between my m20 turbo 02 and bagged 56 chevy stepside, b5 1.8t quattro.

Looking forward to seeing your 02. Its a love hate thing for me. Progress comes in spurts...theres a lot to tackle....
    (SOLD) 1988 327i Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155086
    1970 Gruppe 2 2902 M20 Turbo Build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=373891

Comment

So with all the rain it has been slow progress this week on the actual car, but spent a lot of time doing research and most specifically working on the wiring diagram. Which I know seems a bit early but it is making me think about major systems of the car and how they will work etc.

I have been basing a lot of my wire diagram on this one which I found on google.

There are some different things obviously that I am doing but the area I am most confused with is, what is the FIrelay and solenoid, I may be crazy but these are things I have never seen on a car. Or maybe it is simply called something different.

Also, I am trying to decide between the automatic fan control like his, or doing a switched fan which seems more common in track cars. Not sure if anybody has any preference over the two but I would be interested to hear some opinions on the matter.

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
      Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

For the fans, I use a 318ti thermal switch in the radiator to ground the fan relay. The stock e30 switch on the passenger side of the radiator comes is three pole switch. One switch comes on at 90 and 99c (really just an added safety for the mechanical fan). The 318ti comes on when the thermostat opens at 80, then the second switch 88c (the ti only had an e-fan). This of course is if you use an e30/e36 radiator.

The fuel pump relay is normal and is located in the 3 relay bank on the m20 wiring harness.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I will not be running any of the stock harness. Everything will be made from scratch with the exception of pigtails.

I am not sure if I am a little confused though. Its the FIidle relay part I don’t understand. The fuel pump is fine, I have that running from a switch on the dash, to the relay, grounding at the megasquirt and running to my pumps.

Also, megsquirt 3 says it supports semi-sequential injection on 6 cylinders but does not mention the need for a cam position sensor. I know a lot of stand alones call for that but I couldnt find any documentation on that and I am assuming the ms3 simply uses the crack position sensor. Anybody know if I can add a cam pos sensor to make the whole setup more reliable?

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

Comment

I misunderstood the original question. "FI", not "FP". Derp.

FI is "Fast Idle". It bumps the idle mechanically when the A/C etc is turned on and causes a heavy load on the engine.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Ah ok, so essentially it is an icv got it, calling it FI is where I got confused. I wonder why it is wired as such in his diagram, shouldn't there be two wires going to the ECU? Also whats the purpose of the Diode.

I am hoping to roughly finish it up in the next day and then you guys can give me your feedback, I am sure I have messed a few things up.

In other news, my MIG welder is down for the moment which means no major updates for a little bit. I am in a mad rush to sell some things to pick up a replacement welder while I try to fix the old one. Probably going to try and sell it afterwards since I planned on upgrading my welder setup soon anyways.

Comment

Just had a chance to read through this whole thread. Damn man, so much win here. You fab skills are awesome. One of these days I want to get into doing some of that, just need the time and money. . .
                Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

just a heads up... i would hang onto your OEM head unit for the e46. its tied into the security system. if anything ever happens you will be SOL if you dont have it, car will not start.

Comment

Yes I still have it sitting in storage

Comment

So while this is super rough, at least I think I understand all the systems of the car and how they will interface with each other and the MS3pro Evo. The only real exception is the MAF or MAP setup. Literally no idea what I am going to do up there so right now I have left that out.

The file is huge, the next version should have things arranged a little differently, I wanted to have the schematic reflect the layout of the car but honestly whats the point of that. It just makes for a super confusing jumbled up mess.

But to see the original large file click here and you should be able to see it

What I opted to do with the fan control is run a switch in parallel to the MS3. That way if for whatever reason it does not come on, I can simply switch it on. But normally it should simply come on.

And for those of you wondering why there are three fuel pumps. Here is the outline of the fuel delivery system I intend to run.
                      Last edited by semaj4712; 03-22-2018, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Did a quick mockup of the center console I intend to build. Should be made mainly with Aluminum and ABS Plastic so it should be pretty light. The toggle Switches on the bottom will be turn signal on the left and hazard on the right.

Comment

Damn that is fucking cool
                          sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

Comment

Working...
                          X