Interest in an m20 Centrifugal SC kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest in an m20 Centrifugal SC kit

Hey guys, I'm trying to gain interest level in a centrifugal supercharger kit for the m20. We have a 3.1L m20 stroker that we're going to use in our (Castro's) shop race car, but we were thinking about supercharging it as well.

To give some background, my dad was a prototype machinist for the aerospace industry, for the past 25 years. He's built everything from satellites, to airplanes, etc; so a supercharger bracket is a walk in the park for him.

Chris Castro worked with RMS for 3+ years, and has lots of experience supercharging the M/S 50/2, S54, and S62 motors. He's been working on e30s for the past 10+ years, and knows anything and everything about the m20 engine to say the least.

We will be speaking with Dan Miller for tuning purposes, and would like to employ his WAR chip with our kit. Dan and Brody have lots of tuning experience with m20s, so I'm sure we could create a really nice power curve with a proper blower on the m20.

Not sure about price yet, but we're going to try to make it very affordable. I'd like to hear some feedback, so please feel free to comment on this idea.
    Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

I am not in any posistion to but a supercharger kit for my car but would definitely be interested at some point. Why centrifugal and not twinscrew? Also will you be using any sort of intercooler and how much boost would be or could be run?

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
      I am not in any posistion to but a supercharger kit for my car but would definitely be interested at some point. Why centrifugal and not twinscrew? Also will you be using any sort of intercooler and how much boost would be or could be run?
      Centrifugal is more efficient, and it will be easier and less expensive to make the kit.

I'm not sure how much boost the blower will make, but I'd say 8 psi on the stock HG would be a safe estimate. With an MLS and stud probably 12 psi.

The kit will most likely use an eBay intercooler to keep within the budget. For the race car we will be using an RMS aftercooler from the e36 variant set-ups. That may also become available in a stage 2 kit if all goes well.

Finally, I think a supercharged IX would be tons of fun! :D

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I need a SC for my m30.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I've been looking into a supercharger for a while now. I would be very interested in the kit. I was planning on the WAR chip as well. If this goes forward, PM me.
          sigpic
          Parts Wanted
          The Never-ending Resto Mod

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            I need a SC for my m30.
            Ditto! Especially since mine is getting a new HG and ARP studs :D
            Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
            FullOpp Stickers for sale!
            NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
            Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
            ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
              I need a SC for my m30.
              One step at a time. ;)

I think a Vortech on an m30 would make some nice power. We'll see how the m20 kit pans out. I'd be interested to build a SC'd e24 if we do an m30 kit! 8)

Comment

What charger are you thinking of using? I think the prices for the centrifugal superchargers are cost prohibitive for most m20 owners.

Comment

yeah im interested as well. But im looking at the twin screw option as i can pick up a twin screw from a mazda for a few hundred au

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
                    Centrifugal is more efficient, and it will be easier and less expensive to make the kit.

I'm not sure how much boost the blower will make, but I'd say 8 psi on the stock HG would be a safe estimate. With an MLS and stud probably 12 psi.

The kit will most likely use an eBay intercooler to keep within the budget. For the race car we will be using an RMS aftercooler from the e36 variant set-ups. That may also become available in a stage 2 kit if all goes well.

Ok makes sense on the choice of supercharger, and a supercharged ix would be more than tons of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post

Sounds great. I would guess 12psi would be means for an exhaust upgrade as well wouldn't it? A s/c'd ix would be way fun!

Comment

So is this still in the "feeler" stage, or what progress in development has been made? What kind of ETA do you think we are looking at?
                        sigpic
                        Parts Wanted
                        The Never-ending Resto Mod

Comment

Originally posted by blocke View Post
                          So is this still in the "feeler" stage, or what progress in development has been made? What kind of ETA do you think we are looking at?
                          Definitely just a feeler for now. Got my s54 swap coming up that we have to worry about first. :p

Comment

My interests have been tickled.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I'd be interested, do you think the kit would be more affordable than the TCD turbo kit and with comparable numbers?
                              Originally posted by b3albakii
                              the head was okey .. and in a good mood
                              no i didnt over heat it so much
                              www.blunttech.com

Comment

Working...
                              X