No announcement yet.

E30 Folding@Home Team!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'll try this for a month and see how it affects my electricity bill. Running an older Phenom II quad at 3.9ghz, and a HD6970.
    My Feedback

Comment

Impressive! ..and now even more proud to be a member of r3v!

Comment

E30 Wagen, thanks for joining up. Let me know if you have any setup questions. From what I have read, slightly older ATI cards fold better with Catalyst 14.9 drivers than the most current 14.12 drivers. If you are running really old GPU drivers, there are supposedly big performance gains to be had in F@H if you update to 14.9.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
          E30 Wagen, thanks for joining up. Let me know if you have any setup questions. From what I have read, slightly older ATI cards fold better with Catalyst 14.9 drivers than the most current 14.12 drivers. If you are running really old GPU drivers, there are supposedly big performance gains to be had in F@H if you update to 14.9.
          Hmm, I was wondering why my gpu was failing to play along. I will try rolling back the driver. And right now it says only CPU 3 is folding, so I'm wondering how to make all four cores work. I'm guessing CPU three actually refers to core #4? I haven't played around with any settings yet except setting folding power to full.
          My Feedback

Comment

Since you have a quad core GPU and an GPU, seeing it sy "CPU 3" is actually correct. It means that 3 cores are being used. Each GPU slot occupies one CPU thread, hence why it is 3 rather than 4.

Has the GPU slot been crashing, or just not doing much? I have found that the GPU slot takes a good hour or so to do the first couple of percentage points because it has to compile the work unit for processing, and then it gets going. I am not sure what sort of motherboard you have in there, but it would also be good to make sure that the BIOS and various mobo chipset drivers are all up to date too.

What OS are you running BTW?

If you want to see detailed logging info from the F@H client, you can right click the little molecule icon in the lower-right and select the advanced control panel. There is a logs tab, and you can look through that (and filter it to show only the GPU slot log info if you want).

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
              Since you have a quad core GPU and an GPU, seeing it sy "CPU 3" is actually correct. It means that 3 cores are being used. Each GPU slot occupies one CPU thread, hence why it is 3 rather than 4.

Has the GPU slot been crashing, or just not doing much? I have found that the GPU slot takes a good hour or so to do the first couple of percentage points because it has to compile the work unit for processing, and then it gets going. I am not sure what sort of motherboard you have in there, but it would also be good to make sure that the BIOS and various mobo chipset drivers are all up to date too.

What OS are you running BTW?

If you want to see detailed logging info from the F@H client, you can right click the little molecule icon in the lower-right and select the advanced control panel. There is a logs tab, and you can look through that (and filter it to show only the GPU slot log info if you want).
              The GPU slot has crashed and isn't doing anything. I'm running a MSi board and windows 7 64bit.
              My Feedback

Comment

Hmm, weird. If you try to run the GPU slot, can you post the log info when it does crash?

Comment

Actually turns out I've been lazy and haven't been running the latest drivers. I updated the drivers and now it's working, definitely added some folding power.
                  My Feedback

Comment

Nice! I'd imagine that a 6970 can crank out something like 40K+ PPD.

I think I am going to go spam up BFc for E30 enthusiasts too. Maybe M42Club and E30Tech too. Riders of God's chariot will surely be able to pwn the Folding world.

Comment

Yeah it brought me up from about 7000 to 31000, haha
                      My Feedback

Comment

Looking good so far. Team E30 has 2.5M+ points and is running strong. I am making a thread on Bimmerforums too. Gonna get team E30 up high in the ranking!

Comment

Winter 2015 bump.

Team E30 is doing very well. Sadly, I am the only active member on the team at this point (lol). Since it is winter time and you all need to heat your houses anyway, get in on the folding.

Comment

Joined up, been doing this off and on for years, currently it's an "on" time lol. Started folding like 10 years ago when I was a wee nerd in high school. Never heard of the passkey thing until now, got one of those too now. What are your machine specs?
                            ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
                            Originally posted by blunttech
                            I need you to exfoliate my ballsack
                            Build Thread?

Comment

There are 8 machines, made up of a mix of Dell workstations from the last 5 years. They are all running Ubuntu and doing CPU folding only due to driver problems with the older AMD/ATI video cards I found for them (yay, Linux lol). The CPUs are mid-range quad core Xeons and some 16 core AMD units that I saved from the scrapper.

I have a line on some freebie GPUs, stuff like GTX 760/770 cards, and I am going to try to get those going in some of the machines.

What are you running?

Comment

I did a little system maintenance today and let all of the Ubuntu update packages install (I do it once every 6 months or so). I also spent some time removing the ATI drivers and installing the latest ones released by AMD. Suddenly, my HD7790 cards are performing very well and can actually make contributions, which is nice.

I also got my freebie GTX 760 installed in one of the other PCs and it is doing its thing. I'll see how much it can do as far as PPD's. It looks like it should do 60K-110K PPD depending on the work unit.

The GTX 770 that I found isn't working quite yet. The PSU has 2 6-pin GPU power connectors, but the 770 requires a 6 pin and an 8 pin. So I went and got a 6-to-8 pin adapter...hopefully it doesn't blow out the PSU lol. I should have that running by Monday.

So, with any luck, I hope to at least double my folding PPD!

Comment

Working...
                                X