Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Progress : AC Schnitzer S3.5 Convertible (FOR SALE!! FOR SALE!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a set. I passed up a second set...I was getting soaked with car part purchases and had to call it quits. A marathon not a sprint.

I had always read these were the reason to even not start an ACS kit; you will never find the skirts for less than a firstborn talk. With a lot of searching, arguably foolish fanatcism, I have been able to secure many ACS parts. Some which folks may not recognize, like the little accessories sold out of the back of the catalog.. the key hanger!

Also, the ACS sideskirts SEEM to be the same fitment wise. There is a part number unique to the cabrio side skirts however, these side skirts fit very well.

I think the market for ACS pales in comparison to the buzz around Alpina, Hartge and MTech.

My real issue has been securing the leather embossed shiftknob. I missed a few auctions but when I am ready to pony up cash, I have a line on a NOS.
    Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 01-11-2016, 10:41 AM.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Wow, sub'd! This is going to be awesome

Comment

Keep the good work and research!!!!

I will be watching for a leather ACS shift knob.
        Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

I see them around. I just have been hunting for a deal. I think I just need to pony up the money..

Your extra set of eyes are appreciated sincerely! Couldn't do it without the help of others...

And thnk you, Corvallias. Your build and adherance to OEM is very admirable. Wish some of that West coast wrenching was over here as I consider tackling such a big task.
          Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 07-23-2015, 09:41 AM.

Comment

nice build. I hate having to not buy parts that I want or need when they come up cheap. I was always told grab the deal when you can, but that not how it works when you are an adult....

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
              nice build. I hate having to not buy parts that I want or need when they come up cheap. I was always told grab the deal when you can, but that not how it works when you are an adult....
              Usually, that is not the protocol. My wife is very supportive and encouraged me to just do it, knowing how tough these parts are to find. She saw the four year old boy wanting to get a new car toy. She is also with it enough to question why I have two sets of wherls, two rear skirts, two steering wheels.... a for sale post or two will be in the works.

Good thing is, rarely are any of these a deal. Them being offered for sale is all the deal one needs! Here today, gone today. I once ended an auction within minutes. I just happened to find it. S3 badge was that big haul.

I blame Raul.

Comment

I had a scare. I thought my early catalog was lost. It was found, though!

In it, I noticed yet another style of prallschutz for the early three spoke steering wheel.

(I updated the steering wheel post with it, too.)

Comment

Front bumper swap is making some progress.

As I move through the vehicle, I am trying to make things better. I am putting in a larger order of just bolts, washers, speed nuts, trim piece clips, windshield washer jets, etc. Things to replace for one day tear down, paint and rebuild.

What is not being replaced is being cleaned up, freed of rust, protected:

Front bumper hardware goodies.

Waiting on the new terminal housings from an earlier post so I can finish wiring my driver side ZKW fog and a new horn.

The trunk is a mess and I am still fiddling with the rear bumper. It just does not seem to be a bolt on affair with the parts I got on hand.

(I will add a photo of the car's rear when I get a chance.)

This set up appeared to be the OEM solution to a diving board to plastic bumper swap. It appears the shocks are too short, the bumper is too long and goes into the wheel arches. The bumper slides do not seem to hold the bumper tightly, either.

Comment

Good luck with your ACS build. I have ACS tribute car i am building of my own with alittle help from Raul and Jim (Ironman e30 )as well.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by QUKBMER View Post
                      Good luck with your ACS build. I have ACS tribute car i am building of my own with alittle help from Raul and Jim (Ironman e30 )as well.
                      Thank you. Things are coming along nicely. I am very fortunate. As time becomes more available, the car will see more progress and at a faster pace. All in time.

Along the way, not everything was ACS. I found locally a tattered OEM windscreen with original case. It was a fun project to take on and breath new life into. I bought it from the original owner who recalls paying several hundred dollars at the dealer. Long after the car was sold, the windscreen was tossed in the corner and left to weather, mold and rust.

In usual fashion, it was taken apart. Each bolt cleaned, mechanisms freshened and reassembled, the weatherstripping was removed and soaked in Poorboys World Natural Look to restore suppleness. The carrying case had a seized zipper. After days of soaking the zipper in PB Blaster, I could not get it to budge. The bag was hand washed in woolite, doused with Lysol to disinfect and then air dried and dressed. The netting was replaced with new jersey mesh in a navy blue to match the top. It all came out very sharp.

On to the photos:

Comment

Rear Bumper Swap

The rear bumper swap is to be easier but it is not going as easily as the front at the moment.

Now I have what appears to be the OEM method of converting from DB to plastics:

It all mounts up nicely but the plastic bumper does not seem to engage the bracket/slide well and it extends too far into the wheel well. Am I to use the original DB shocks?
                        Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 07-30-2015, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Start at post #145 in this thread:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...316880&page=10 Then jump ahead to #195 on this page http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...316880&page=13

If you read all the way through you already saw this but if not, on page 11 you find a reference to this thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...3&postcount=17 (supplemental info)
                          Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

You're a gem. Thank you. I will study a bit more. I would like to try different bumper shocks.

When I get a chance to fidget more I will share some photos.

Comment

very nice

Will be watching this build...lots for me to see and learn in your build!
                              gl
                              jm

Comment

Watching...
                                -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                                08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                                318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                                '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                                Originally posted by roguetoaster
                                Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Working...
                                X