How to set VDO odometer mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set VDO odometer mileage

Hi guys - I just replaced my speedo, and I want to adjust the mileage so it matches the mileage on the old speedo. Does anyone have a write-up for adjusting mileage on a VDO odometer?

I know this subject is taboo, since the info could be used for unscrupulous purposes, but it could be really helpful for someone doing an honest speedo swap.
    R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
    └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

should be the same writeup for replacing the gears on the odo. when you pull the gears, the counter can be adjusted (rolled back/forward)
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
      should be the same writeup for replacing the gears on the odo. when you pull the gears, the counter can be adjusted (rolled back/forward)
      Hmm. Tried that, but the numbers were locked by a series of black gears that runs along the top edge. I popped that loose, changed the numbers, and popped it back into place. Odo doesn't work now. I think I reassembled it wrong.

I'm going to recheck the gears this weekend.

Comment

I dunno, mine just spun up or down when I changed the gears. That said, I did it to add the missed mileage because I'm a goody two-shoes :( I do have a Motometer cluster; maybe they don't have those gears you mentioned.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Mine is a VDO and has been clocked back and still works.. actually everything still works. I want to pop it open and adjust the mileage but it might be more trouble than it's worth

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

The plastic odo gears prevent the reset. Take them out and use a fine air nozzle and compressor to spin the number wheels. I don't recall which wheel to spin (I think tenths) and watch the air pressure so you don't over spin it or damage anything.

Once it starts to turn it doesn't take long to commit odo fraud :)
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Good suggestions here! Thanks all!

Comment

We reset mileage all the time. My method is simple. Disassemble the whole speedometer assembly, even remove the circuit board, motor, gears, and all plastic.

Then set miles and reassembly.

Seriously, its not easy and takes a lot of practice to get it done quickly. I recommend using tape to hold the numbers into place while you put the plastic toothed gears in place that retain the numbers, the tape will prevent the numbers from floating up or down if that makes sense.
                Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                www.BavRest.com
                My Feedback Thread
                Our Facebook!
                Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I made a tutorial for doing it a while back, never was approved by the DIY section moderator.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                    I made a tutorial for doing it a while back, never was approved by the DIY section moderator.
                    Because it is illegal to temper with the odometer. I know a lot of you guys are honest, but it could also affect a lot of uniformed buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                      Because it is illegal to temper with the odometer. I know a lot of you guys are honest, but it could also affect a lot of uniformed buyers.
                      Except in most (if not all) states cars older than 10-15 years are exempt from odometer gear readings.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                        Except in most (if not all) states cars older than 10-15 years are exempt from odometer gear readings.
                        The law governing the "odometer statement" is federal and cars over 10 years old are exempt. However.....again...HOWEVER...any false representation "intended to mislead" and causing someone to pay more than they might otherwise have, could pose risks. So if you take a 200k car, roll it back to 120k and sell it as such, it's not a violation of federal odometer laws but never the less opens you to a claim of fraud.

Just sayin :)
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                          The law governing the "odometer statement" is federal and cars over 10 years old are exempt. However.....again...HOWEVER...any false representation "intended to mislead" and causing someone to pay more than they might otherwise have, could pose risks. So if you take a 200k car, roll it back to 120k and sell it as such, it's not a violation of federal odometer laws but never the less opens you to a claim of fraud.

Exactly...buyers always ask about the mileage on E30.

Comment

I took my replacement apart and hand rolled. It's a little fiddly but didn't take too long. There is a DIY on E30tech.
                            Estoguy
                            1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post

Not changing mine is fraud. At 160k, its about 100k short.

Comment

Working...
                              X