• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean shaved/tucked M20 turbo - TUNED 378hp/282kw

Cut to the good stuff pic...

How it got there...

Hey guys,

So I thought I'd post up here for a few ideas on where I'm at and what to do.

Heres the car, had it for a year - factory m20b25 low comp 8.8:1 motor nothing much going on apart from e46 rack and rx7 front 4 pots

Converted it to megasquirt and wasted spark - drove it round for a bit

A friend had this so I acquired it - GT3582R ball bearing 0.63 exhaust housing

Decided to get things under way

Which escalated a bit more than I planned..

Originally the plan was just wack the turbo on the standard motor, the turbo is on the larger side for the m20 so I'm wondering whats going to be best seeing as I pulled the whole thing apart

Thought about going 2.7, but have decided to just give the 2.5 a birthday.

New rings, bearings, arp studs, mls 0.092" head gasket, HD rockers and a mild cam regrind
    Last edited by potatomash; 08-22-2017, 06:24 PM.

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Lovin the diamondschwartz and wheels! Looks like an epic build in the making!

Comment

Don't swap the turbo for something smaller, build the engine bigger!

3.1 liters!
      AWD > RWD

Comment

I would use the stock 2.5 as you learn to tune, youll be alot less frustrated if/when you blow it up. Then build a bigger better motor on the side.

Comment

The 2.7i is a decent enough turbo setup-- lower CR and higher displacement. As long as you're upgrading your head bolts to ARP studs (or similar) and going with a good HG, you should be able to handle a bit of boost.

Comment

Currently have a 2.7i seta, stock hg, and arp bolts. Has seen 12-23 psi from almost 4 years now with zero issues. Kamotors has dyno graphs, the 2.7 seems to make a bit more torque with similar peak hp #s versus the 2.5

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
              I would use the stock 2.5 as you learn to tune, youll be alot less frustrated if/when you blow it up. Then build a bigger better motor on the side.
              I experimented with tuning when I was running around n/a on my megasquirt...kinda left out why I took it apart...lol
              Turbo will be getting tuned on the dyno

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
              Currently have a 2.7i seta, stock hg, and arp bolts. Has seen 12-23 psi from almost 4 years now with zero issues. Kamotors has dyno graphs, the 2.7 seems to make a bit more torque with similar peak hp #s versus the 2.5
              Keen to see that dyno! What do you have you max rpm set to? I have a set of arp studs ready for it.

Refurbished some wheels while I decide..

Last edited by potatomash; 04-30-2017, 07:11 PM.

M U S C C O O

Comment

The turbo you have is a good size, no need to go smaller, a .63 back housing is perfect for a 2.5. A good stock rebuild with ARP's, cam and a good tune should easily net 400rwhp.
                Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

So today I picked up a seized 2.7 block which I was told was a super eta for pretty cheap. Once I got it home and got it moving again, I realised the pistons are definitely not super eta :(

Pretty sure they are 10.2:1, they only have one valve relief, block code is 27 6E B...Looks like I shoulda done more research.

Looks like I'll be staying 2.5..
                  Last edited by potatomash; 08-01-2016, 04:16 PM.

M U S C C O O

Comment

A 2.5 with a 3076 would be a very good combo I think. Still very useable with way more than enough power for most street situations, if it's on a fair bit of boost.
                    I mean, you look at what RB25s and 1jzs are doing with them, and although they flow more through the heads (I assume) it's the same displacement and they're breaking 450hp easily
                    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Shamless plug...... I could look into shipping my crank, rods and piston.

Comment

Haha, trust me shipping would make it not worth it - NZ sucks for that

Thinking about getting some CP pistons and bore to 85mm which would basically make it a 2.8... Budget is out the window if I go this route

Or if anyone has a set of Super ETA pistons I would be keen!

Decisions decisions :???:
                        Last edited by potatomash; 05-04-2016, 04:53 PM.

M U S C C O O

Comment

New parts :D Going to roll with the 2.5 and just freshen it up

Wastegate flange gonna need to be chopped and shortened so it don't go into my steering linkage

Last edited by potatomash; 08-01-2016, 04:17 PM.

M U S C C O O

Comment

Decided may as well make this worthwhile, grinding stuff off, making plates and going to weld all the holes up

Have moved battery cable and fusebox in behind dash

Last edited by potatomash; 04-30-2017, 05:23 PM.

M U S C C O O

Comment

This got involved quickly. Keep up the work!!
                              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Working...
                              X