Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over heating issues

Good evening folks,

I am am having some cooling issues with my 1991 318i. One day while sitting in traffic I noticed the temp gauge going to the 3/4 mark so I decided to replace The radiator, water pump, radiator cap, and thermostat. After the installation it hasn't gone above the halfway mark until 3 weeks or so later. I noticed after a couple of weeks the expansion tank looks a bit swollen. Then the next week it started to leak from the bottom. Then tofay it started to overheat.
    Just curious if anyone else has had this issue with nissens radiators?

Maybe worth noting that the coolant temp plug has not been hooked up due to the fact that the female plug broke apart when I removed it and I I did not know where to connect the 3 wires that go to the sensor.
    Last edited by jbourque; 08-10-2016, 04:58 AM.

I had a nissens radiator, the expansion tank got swollen. They do sell replacement tanks but i bought one to replace it and it didnt fit properly. I have a similar issue with my car overheating but it only overheats when idlying, but im sure mine is the radiator

Comment

I still have the original tank so I may just swap it out after I scrub it clean.

Is the plug on the passenger side for an auxiliary fan to run?? if so I think that may have been my issue. Since My plug was I guessed at where each connection needed to go, but the picture below shows the correct way to wire it to the sensor. I swap it around and my fan on full blast.

Comment

[QUOTE I have a similar issue with my car overheating but it only overheats when idlying, but im sure mine is the radiator[/QUOTE]

Kind of sounds like your cooling fan clutch has gone bad to me?
        Radiator problems are usually flow related or a leak. If flow related the car will start getting hot at highway speeds but cool back down at around town speeds.
        Thanks,
        Stan
        Last edited by The White Guy; 08-14-2016, 06:47 PM. Reason: verbage

Comment

I second checking your fan clutch. It shouldn't overheat with a good fan clutch even with the aux fan not working. I don't have an aux fan on mine and i never go above half. Sits dead still a little before the half mark and i live in Florida.
          DENY IGNORANCE!
          Schwarz 325-totaled
          brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
          don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Working...
          X