New car, trying to get running!!! 1991 318is m42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New car, trying to get running!!! 1991 318is m42

Hey everyone, this is my first post, hoping someone can help point me in the right direction, just bought a 1991 318is m42 car, 144,000 miles, my issue is, that it won't start, it try's and will sometimes sputter for a few seconds (about 5) then dies, this is what I have tested so far, fuel pump, I'm getting fuel I just don't know the pressure yet, I'm getting spark at all plugs, I tried testing the cam and crank sensor, and if I did it right the crank sensor is super low ohms about 148 on pins 1 and 2, the cam sensor on 1 and 2 went over 200k, it almost sounds like the timing is way off, like it jumped a tooth on the chain, so I pulled the front of the engine off and checked everything, it looks like brand new in there, no slop, no debris, shavings anything, it would turn over nice and smooth, start to fire then almost like the cylinder was detonating halfway through the stroke, from what I've read when the crank position sensor goes out the car just turns over and will not sputter, is that correct? Is there a way to test the coil packs? What are your guys thoughts or can someone point me to the right thread? Thanks everyone!!

1- hit return sometimes.

2- if it pops and stutters (especially slows erratically) in crank, it may be getting bad timing info.
    cam sensor intermittent might do that.
    put a timing light on it as you crank and see when sparks happen.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

replace the cam sensor
      Originally posted by bmwm42
      PNW vulture pm me for parts
      Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by Bulletproof91 View Post
        Hey everyone, this is my first post, hoping someone can help point me in the right direction, just bought a 1991 318is m42 car, 144,000 miles, my issue is, that it won't start, it try's and will sometimes sputter for a few seconds (about 5) then dies, this is what I have tested so far, fuel pump, I'm getting fuel I just don't know the pressure yet, I'm getting spark at all plugs, I tried testing the cam and crank sensor, and if I did it right the crank sensor is super low ohms about 148 on pins 1 and 2, the cam sensor on 1 and 2 went over 200k, it almost sounds like the timing is way off, like it jumped a tooth on the chain, so I pulled the front of the engine off and checked everything, it looks like brand new in there, no slop, no debris, shavings anything, it would turn over nice and smooth, start to fire then almost like the cylinder was detonating halfway through the stroke, from what I've read when the crank position sensor goes out the car just turns over and will not sputter, is that correct? Is there a way to test the coil packs? What are your guys thoughts or can someone point me to the right thread? Thanks everyone!!
        Thats the longest sentence I have ever read. :giggle:

Comment

Cam sensor won't make the engine not run. If you have spark and fuel, then it isn't the crank position sensor either as it controls both. A bad one will kill both.

I would look for vacuum leaks. Start by pulling the intake boot off and looking for cracks in it.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
            Cam sensor won't make the engine not run. If you have spark and fuel, then it isn't the crank position sensor either as it controls both. A bad one will kill both.

I would look for vacuum leaks. Start by pulling the intake boot off and looking for cracks in it.

really lol you have never troubleshooted much then.
            Originally posted by bmwm42
            PNW vulture pm me for parts
            Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

yes i think you issue vacuum, you may need MESS UNDER THE INTAKE DONE.
              91 318is "under construction"
              2007 328i - daily
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X