Interest in custom oil pans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest in custom oil pans?

I made a few oil pans with a CNC machine for m50 swap e30 builds where the oil pan can be hard to find and expensive. I was wondering if you guys think it would be something I could possible sell. If so, where should I try and sell some of these. I am really into helping people out with their builds so profit isn't a main goal but some would be nice so what would a good price be to get people to try this oil pan out.

Ill post pictures if I get some responses on this.

Thanks!

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I think you got the wrong market on this one. I can get 24v swap pans any day of the week, and for less than $300 shipped. If I'm feeling adventurous then I can go to a junkyard and have pretty good odds that I'll find one there.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
      I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I think you got the wrong market on this one. I can get 24v swap pans any day of the week, and for less than $300 shipped. If I'm feeling adventurous then I can go to a junkyard and have pretty good odds that I'll find one there.
      Im talking like 100 bucks. Something cheap enough where people don't have to care about wrecking it. Also, its reinforced a ton and doesn't graze the ground like the other e34 pans do. Imma see how it goes on craigslist but what other parts do you all think would be smart to make and sell? Any advice would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Justbergy View Post
        Im talking like 100 bucks. Something cheap enough where people don't have to care about wrecking it. Also, its reinforced a ton and doesn't graze the ground like the other e34 pans do. Imma see how it goes on craigslist but what other parts do you all think would be smart to make and sell? Any advice would be great.
        Man if you've got e34 pans with more clearance for $100 each I'll take 5 right now....

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
          Man if you've got e34 pans with more clearance for $100 each I'll take 5 right now....
          Awesome, I knew people would like the idea. I will send u a link once I get this figured out more. Thanks for responding man!

Comment

Well if you are selling them for $100 I'm sure a lot of people will be interested. I'd probably take one or two.
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
              Well if you are selling them for $100 I'm sure a lot of people will be interested. I'd probably take one or two.
              Sweet! Ill make a bunch then!haha

Comment

What are you making them out of? Did I miss that part?
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                  What are you making them out of? Did I miss that part?
                  carbon steel atm but its painted and aluminum soon.

Comment

To me (but maybe not to others haha) steel is stronger, cheaper, and in the long run I think Lighter because you don't have to worry about the weight of the stainless steel skid plate.

Comment

To me (but maybe not to others haha) steel is stronger, cheaper, and in the long run I think Lighter because you don't have to worry about the weight of the stainless steel skid plate.
                      If you wanting to use the pan itself as a "skid plate" I think that's a bad idea.

To me you would want a barrier between the oil pan and skid plate.

In these are you putting in baffles/trap doors?
                      1990 325is
                      m52b28
                      3.73lsd
                      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

A cnc steel oil pan for $100?

Please post pics !
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                          If you wanting to use the pan itself as a "skid plate" I think that's a bad idea.

To me you would want a barrier between the oil pan and skid plate.

In these are you putting in baffles/trap doors?
                          Yup I got a baffle idea goin on. The oil pan is sitting higher(off the ground) than the stock e34 one so i'm trying to get away from having the need for a skid plate. And I will post pics once i get them figured out more. I made one by hand that looks pretty rough but still functional. I got a DXF file made for the main flange that mates up to the engine block and now I just gotta get back home and weld the other pieces on and test it so I make sure it works good ya know haha. Any suggestions to make it better?

Comment

Yup I got a baffle idea goin on. The oil pan is sitting higher(off the ground) than the stock e34 one so i'm trying to get away from having the need for a skid plate. And I will post pics once i get them figured out more. I made one by hand that looks pretty rough but still functional. I got a DXF file made for the main flange that mates up to the engine block and now I just gotta get back home and weld the other pieces on and test it so I make sure it works good ya know haha. Any suggestions to make it better?

soooo it's a cnc flange with steel welded to it. not a full cnc pan...

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                            IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
                              soooo it's a cnc flange with steel welded to it. not a full cnc pan...
                              Well I mean it would be like 100 bucks worth of steel if it was like a solid block machined out. But yeah just the flange is CNC haha

Comment

Working...
                              X