Stumbling on acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stumbling on acceleration

I went for a spirited drive up a mountain yesterday.

My car had a severe stumbling problem. Power would randomly cut out while I had my foot on the gas. Seemed to me like a fuel delivery problem.

At the top, when I got out of the car, it smelled a bit like gas. I went to open my gas cap, and it forced pressure on the cap as I twisted it. Weird! A bit of liquid tried to escape as well. The cap may not have seated fully the last time I filled up, and the rubber seal is showing age. But if it was loose, I can't imagine why there would be pressure in the tank when I went to open the cap.

I had filled up the tank before driving up the mountain, so it couldn't be a starvation problem.

The in-line fuel pump is exceptionally loud. I replaced that several years ago (with a Bosch unit), but maybe that's the problem? I've never replaced the in-tank pump during ownership.

I recently passed smog and replaced the usual wear items and fluids, so I'm not concerned with those components. I also performed a smoke test to correct vacuum leaks.

The stumbling problem seems so random; although occurs only in upper RPMs under load.... except when it had little hiccups cruising on the freeway to the mountain. I didn't experience any problems on the drive home.

It was incredibly annoying because I haven't gone for a drive in so long, and when I finally did, this shit happens. Completely ruined the drive, especially when I had a Kia Forte on my ass trying to pass me... and did when I pulled over in defeat.

Unrelated, but I did find tiny metal shavings last time I changed my oil.

Currently building a badass coffee table
    Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Maybe try swapping afm

Comment

When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog View Post
        When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?
        About 3-4 years ago, same time as the pump.

Update,

this problem hasn't returned, despite not changing anything. I haven't felt any stumbling under any normal driving conditions...I specify that because I haven't driven up a mountain again or driven the car hard around town. So I haven't felt the stumbling. But I haven't changed anything about the car.

I did do one test, a smoke test, to understand why my gas tank had pressure at the top of the mountain. I suspected my charcoal canister or a line could be clogged, thus not relieving the sea-level atmospheric pressure that was still in the tank at 5,000+ feet. I sent smoke through the canister itself and into the line to the tank. I had smoke come out of the bottom of the canister, and out of the filler neck (filler cap was off), respectively. So those are fine, I guess?

Other note, sometimes the fuel pump is kinda loud, most of the time not. It's just odd that it is, sometimes.

Currently building a badass coffee table
        Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Working...
        X