M30 Swap - Miller MAF Worth It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 Swap - Miller MAF Worth It?

Hey R3V, hoping you could help me with my decision making on whether or not to buy a Miller MAF for my M30B35 swap.

I'm currently running a stock engine with 19lb injectors, IE headers, and a Mark D'Sylva EAT Chip. I've read quite a bit of conflicting info about the real world positives of the MAF conversion vs. a chipped ECU with stock AFM. Some people seem to swear by it, others say it does absolutely nothing.

I ran my car on a dyno after the swap was finished (prior to EAT chip install) and it showed peak torque @185 and whp @168.

I haven't noticed any massive improvements with the chip, although it does feel a little quicker through the middle of the power band. Not looking for huge power gains with this modification, just something that will give me a little bit more oomph on the butt dyno and around town.

Thoughts? Any opinions/feedback would be appreciated

When I put my car on the dyno with everything stock after my swap it pulled 124Kw (so pretty much line ball with your dyno result). A friend of mine with virtually the same setup + Mark D chip pulled 136kW on the same day.

I have since fitted a Miller MAF - I haven't had the car back on a dyno, but the butt dyno doesn't feel quicker overall. That said, the snappy throttle response with the MAF is worth it regardless of what the dyno would say as the car feels much more modern.

The only problem I've had is trouble with pinging in hot weather on 98RON fuel. I guess it gets much hotter here than in Canada. I've been thinking about contacting Brody to see whether I can get a milder (or stock) tune to suit the MAF.
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I would say you MIGHT gain 3 horses and a little bit of throttle response. I went from the Miller MAF with b35 #179 chip to the WAR chip and some Dyno tuning and then to megasquirt with Dyno tuning. I would stick with what you have or upgrade to megasquirt if you go further with modifications or feel like learning a bit of tuning for the hell of it.
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
        When I put my car on the dyno with everything stock after my swap it pulled 124Kw (so pretty much line ball with your dyno result). A friend of mine with virtually the same setup + Mark D chip pulled 136kW on the same day.

I have since fitted a Miller MAF - I haven't had the car back on a dyno, but the butt dyno doesn't feel quicker overall. That said, the snappy throttle response with the MAF is worth it regardless of what the dyno would say as the car feels much more modern.

The only problem I've had is trouble with pinging in hot weather on 98RON fuel. I guess it gets much hotter here than in Canada. I've been thinking about contacting Brody to see whether I can get a milder (or stock) tune to suit the MAF.
        Cool, thanks for the real world info. The throttle response seems to be the aspect that improves the most (from what I've been reading). Would you say it's been worth the expense?

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
        I would say you MIGHT gain 3 horses and a little bit of throttle response. I went from the Miller MAF with b35 #179 chip to the WAR chip and some Dyno tuning and then to megasquirt with Dyno tuning. I would stick with what you have or upgrade to megasquirt if you go further with modifications or feel like learning a bit of tuning for the hell of it.
        Appreciate the feedback. I don't really have easy dyno access nor the desire to play with the tune very much – was hoping to find a simple solution and just run with it. Thinking I may just stay with what I've got and eventually think about going the turbo route someday.

Comment

I'm happy with the MAF (it wasn't that expensive at the time as the AUD was above parity with the USD). The added throttle response is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
            I'm happy with the MAF (it wasn't that expensive at the time as the AUD was above parity with the USD). The added throttle response is worth it.
            Glad to hear it, thanks

Edit: by the way - just took a look through your thread... Cirrusblau M30 bros!
            Last edited by dishwab; 02-03-2018, 03:24 PM.

Comment

For sure! Cirrusblau is a great colour (although yours is certainly neater than mine!)

I'm thinking about adding a few more Alpina parts to mine to turn it into more of a B63.5 tribute.

Comment

IMO not worth it. I ran one with a WAR chip for years and it was never quite right. Swapped it out for a stock AFM and ssquid 92 octane chip, and was immediately impressed by improved power, response, and driveability.

Comment

Is there no pnp ms option?
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

To me the whole point of MegaSquirt was that it was a low cost, open hardware option. 10 year later, and the prices for MS seems to keep going up, and it's no where near opensource anymore. Mean while everything else seems to getting cheaper.
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                      Is there no pnp ms option?
                      The late m30 users the same harness connector and similar ECU, so it will PNP, but you will have to change some setting from the m20 kit.

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                      To me the whole point of MegaSquirt was that it was a low cost, open hardware option. 10 year later, and the prices for MS seems to keep going up, and it's no where near opensource anymore. Mean while everything else seems to getting cheaper.

It still is, but companies started making "PNP" boxes which add expense. The actual Microsquirt that most are putting into the ECU's is about $285, and "build your own" kits are still less.

MicroSquirt Module - a tiny core for building your own engine management!

john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Have been running the Miller maf on my car for 3yrs now, biggest improvement was throttle response, & the pickup in midrange, I found the fuel economy improved which for anyone with an m30 fuel economy isn’t front of mind but the average usage improved by approx 2L/100KM

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                          It still is, but companies started making "PNP" boxes which add expense.
                          That's not the issue. The board could be made for $35. Greed took over, and NO ONE is allowed to make a physical board. Only the Bowling & Grippo guys...and as I understand it, they are buddies.

It's as open source as your iphone.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                            That's not the issue. The board could be made for $35. Greed took over, and NO ONE is allowed to make a physical board. Only the Bowling & Grippo guys...and as I understand it, they are buddies.

It's as open source as your iphone.
                            It's gotten a lot more complex as well. The first time I messed with it, it was FI only, no sprak control. Only a handful of people were using the Ford EDIS at the time. Even then the kits were about $150 IIRC.

As far as being open, have you ever looked at the files/software? It's a fair bit more open source than people think. TunerStudio is even free unless you want to pay for extras.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

is there an ecu better than ms for the money?
                              i have ms2 and had the board since ms1 days so i would have no idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X