m30b35 Backyard budget ITB's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30b35 Backyard budget ITB's

First things first credit where it is due, I was inspired by Bullet Ride original M20 ITB thread to begin a build of my own. some of the BIG factors that made me want to do this, s38 itbs are crazy expensive these days and hard to find none the less. the require heavy modification of the thermostat housing and dont really clear the brake booster either. not to mention they are slightly over sized. the goals of this project is not record breaking peak perfomance, but rather pure driving pleasure, sound, and cool factor; as the m30 is gods engine after all. Its something ive always wanted to try and i have no idea how this is gonna turn out. But im gonna give it a go and keep you guys along for the ride. With that being said im open to any criticism as it will only help make a better project in the long run, so if anyone has any suggestions or things that you think might help, feel free to comment!

The Car:
    -1987 late model conversion
    -m30b35
    -condor subframe bushings
    -poly everwhere else
    -Wanganstyle 4 clutch diff
    -HR sport/race
    car used to be my DD, now will become dedicated drift/track the more i progress

the build:
    -13-15 Triumph Daytona 675R 44mm throttle bodies
    -early m30 L-Jet "banana" Manifold (Thanks Victor!!)
    --ms2 pnp wasted spark MSD coils (s/o to frank LeGrande for the hookup)

a little introduction, my name is Zollo originally from NC, proud member of the e30CCA (you should join: e30CCA.com) This was the first car i ever purchased, has been my daily for 6 years put me through college and back and survived years of abuse in between. I have now finished school and have been able to put more energy towards the car as it becomes a dedicated track toy. Im going to keep building and learning with the car as i go. its all a process

here is how the car sits currently
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	7251910

So First thing i did was hop on ebay and start looking at throttle bodies, i first purchased an set 05 throttles that were in rough shape for 22$

Name:	image1 (4).jpeg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	7251911

In order to mount them originally i was going to cut some flanges off an intake manifold to retain the injector bosses. then the idea of using the older manifold came to thought and by sheer dumb luck the bore spacing of the tubes and throttle bodies is a near dead on match.

Name:	image2 (2).jpeg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	7251914

Name:	image5.jpg
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	7251913

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	7251912

this got me very excited and thats when i decided to go ahead further with this and went Back onto ebay. I purchased two more sets, this time specifcally from the 2013-2015 675 R* the r came out in 13 and was a sportier version of the existing daytona. There was clear difference in machining quality and overall appearance of the newer throttle bodies over the 05 ones I originally had. The first set of R throttles ran 55$ shipped and came with velocity stacks. the second set was 72$ shipped and didnt have stacks so i ordered some online and that ended up being 25$

so far:
    MS2 with coils- 150
    (6) throttle bdy+127
    velocity stacks +25
    L-Jet manifold +45
    totall: 347$
    Last edited by mzollo; 02-08-2018, 10:08 PM.

here is a few more mockup pictures now that i have all 6. it looks pretty rad:devil:

Name:	image5 (1).jpeg
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	7194055

Name:	image4.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	7194056

Name:	image6.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	7194057

Comment

a few more things to address, the injectors on the early manifold are smaller and must be bored out to allow the use of modern injectors and the current fuel rail etc. I was reached out to by mooseheadm5 as he machined a tool to that will allow the correct bore size and depth.

Name:	image1 (5).jpeg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	7194058

Name:	image2 (1).jpeg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	7194059

the next issue to address is adapting the throttle bodes to the runners themselves. To do so Im having my buddy Matt at Lown Performance (mattdk318i) machine me some flanges. so i went ahead and made a little drawing for him to import to cad and plasma CNC them from 1/4 aluminium

Name:	image3 (2).jpeg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	7194060

once those are finished the plan is to have a small tube welded to them so that i can clamp the throttles to that and still have it all removable. I think that about covers everything I have been able to do so far with what I have. i am currently focusing on getting the car running and driving on megasquirt and learn the program a little before i dive head on into this. I picked up (12) 4 pintle 30 lb volvo injectors for 50 from a friend so that should take care of fueling.

Name:	image1 (6).jpeg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	7194061

MS2 with coils- 150
      (6) throttle bdy+127
      velocity stacks +25
      L-Jet manifold +45
      adapters +60
      injectors +50
      totall: 457$
      Last edited by mzollo; 02-08-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

This is brilliant.

I always had horrible thoughts of "cutting a manifold up and welding on 6 throttles" but its always just been a dream.

Keep the pictures coming!

Comment

so the next topic is to cover is vacuum, These throttle bodies conveniently come with two ports in the back of each. after reading though NA is best - 3.1L M20 w/ ITB's thread by raxe - im thinking of using a vacuum block to get a clean signal to pull map and maybe incorporate the original idle control valve to make use of warmup enrichment features in mega-squirt. also thinking about running a blended map/alpha-n but ill see how it goes first using just the map and TPS sensor already on the rail

Name:	image4 (1).jpeg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	7194062
          Last edited by mzollo; 02-08-2018, 10:36 PM.

Comment

This is so awesome
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Inspirational!!!!
              450whp 524 lb-ft 1988 336ic In progress

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250709

Comment

What suspension/wheel/tire setup are you running?? Looks aggressive.

Comment

I appreciate the interest guys! The car is on HR race’s and e38 style 5’s, 215/45 falken 615, and blox adapters final ET of 5

Comment

I love it. Well done.

Every build needs more budget and backyard

Comment

Originally posted by RagtopE30 View Post
                      Inspirational!!!!
                      i appreciate it, your vert was a pleasure to oogle over at vintage! hope to see you this year. Im making the long haul down

Comment

Get on a dyno, would like to see how that lower manifold works out power wise.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 318aye View Post
                          Get on a dyno, would like to see how that lower manifold works out power wise.
                          for sure going to the dyno, Im going to try to do a stock pull if i can for comparison. im going to try to make it easy to switch back to stock when it does head to the rollers. im hoping the long runner length keeps the power lower as it will only be seeing 6500 for now. a cam is going to happen sooner or later, but want to do things one step at a time. i will try to get it as close as possible on a street tune and then take it somewhere for a final to keep cost down. dyno time aint cheap!

Comment

Wish I had the skills to do something like this. Sub'd!

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

ever since I read about people using r6 throttle bodies on m10's I've always wondered what ones would work with an m30. This is brilliant. So excited to see what comes from this.
                              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                              X