Headlight issue. Switch? 85 early model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight issue. Switch? 85 early model

So i have an issue with my headlights. its a 1985 325e early model.

pull headlight switch no lights come on.

checked all fuses and relays and are all good.

full beams come on when you push the stalk next to the steering wheel.

I have tried to find numerous threads about this issue but all come up with different answers.

it appears all of the rear lights work fine.

could this be an issue with the switch inside the pull knob?

I am no good with wiring what-so-ever. so if anyone has an explanation please dumb it right down for me.

I drove my e30 from California to London!

You've got to troubleshoot. Are you getting power to the connectors? If not, then check fuses 1 and 2, low beam relay and so on. Remove the switch, open it up and inspect the traces. IIRC, early switches have traces that can lift up or burn up. Oxidation can be a factor as well. Keep looking, most of the time the problem will be evident.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Checked all fuses and relays and trying to work this one out. I am finally with the car??

The rear turn signals work, albeit flash really fast. The front turn signals are not working.

Could this help point to what the issue is?

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

Yes, inspect the front bulbs and sockets for corrosion. Turn on the left turn signal and wiggle the bulb to see if it's a bad connection. Make sure the bulb itself is good by checking the filament or install new silver base bulbs. The rear lights should return to normal once you fix the front turn signals.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

sounds like corroded wires for your front lighting

or both low beams are out and turn signals are unplugged? Check that first. Use a multimeter on its continuity setting to check the bulbs.. or buy spares to keep on your trip

your headlight switch works because your high beams turn on when you push the stalk toward the dash

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
          X