carrier arm install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carrier arm install

I installed some Garagistic derlin shift bushings, pushed them in as much as possible, use a c-clamp too.

I put the rear carrier through the hole but haven't tighted the nut yet.

The arm does not want to go back into the transmission, its a really tight fit. Do you have to shave these down at all before the install? The few install videos I can find seem to just show the arm popping right in.

The hole that the bitch clip goes into seems super tight as well, how will that pin get pushed back in with such a tight clearance? I dropped the transmission a little bit, but haven't disconnected the driveshaft .

Update: I have it a third of the way in by jacking the transmission up a bit to use the trans-tunnel to push it in.
    Last edited by profbooty; 11-22-2018, 11:25 AM.

ok to get it more or less in place, stuck a block of wood on top of the carrier arm and used a jack to raise the transmission.

i got it in place, but its not quite right. i can fit a small screw driver which has a shaft about 2mm smaller than the bitch clip itself. In other words the overall alignment is off by about 2mm.

Perhaps i need to shave down the bitch clip a bit on the insertion end to make it easier to insert, and pry bar it in, so that it corrects the alignment as the clip get pushed further in.

Comment

Sounds like the bushing was made a bit big. Try calling Garagistic and see what they say.

Comment

Hmm. I’m about to byy that exact bushing set. Lmk what the resolution ends up being.

Comment

The alignment is about 1mm off now. The bitch clip seems to have a 9.8mm diameter, and I can get a t50 inside which is about 9mm in diameter. I can't tell exactly which way is not aligned.

At the moment im trying to file down the bitch clip a bit on the end that gets inserted.

Using a huge prybar is not working well enough.

Comment

I gave up on the bitch clip and used a 3/8ths bolt. Its about .5mm smaller in diameter than the bitch clip.

From the picture above, looks like I need to tighten down the rear carrier arm a bit more.

This may explain why the shifter arm is closer to one side than the other, when i put it in reverse, with the shift boot on the shift lever itself hits the plastic ring on the boot.

I assume the shifter should be right down the middle of the opening?

see picture below:

Comment

Working...
            X