Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recline problem (locking mechanism not moving enough?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recline problem (locking mechanism not moving enough?)

Hi all so not finding any fixes for my specific problem probably been through at least 5 full seat takedown and guides and countless threads.

I've found to threads from way back with the same issue.

Basically drivers seat, when you pull up on the handle (door side of seat) to let you recline the locking mechanism doesn't seem to be moving far enough on the other side (counsel side of the seat) to unlock that side so the seat doesn't move (mgromero's thread has a great picture). All the shocks are strong, the tabs aren't broken. Any thoughts on if this can be fixed? Looks like audiquattrot replaced the seat bottom (so the "bar" that connects the right and left mechanism seemed to be a problem?

Anyone with similar issues get this fixed? The seats are in great shape no rips not even any cracks and black so I'd like to get them working.

So for anyone else that comes across this, in my case I believe the reason this is happening is that the side of the seat frame where the bar that runs through the seat is housed and connects to the mechanism has cracked and moved substantially. I'm either going to get another seat bottom like others or I'll see if it can get it back to correct position and weld it back.

In order to find this I had to take the entire seat bottom apart down to bare wire frame.

Comment

For the sake of my explanation, I’ll be using the drivers side seat. The the reclining mechanism on the left side with the handle controls the right side mechanism without the handle. This is done with the bar below the seat and the center pin of each mechanism. First check that you have those pins in place, I once reassembled a seat and forgot those and experienced the same thing. If your seats are assembled, take off the caps on the sides. Look at each mechanism as you pull the handle. You should see that center pin move up or down on either side.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the response but the pins aren’t my problem. Seat frame cracked and the transfer bar or whatever it’s real name is that transfer the motion from the mechanism with the handle to the other side is out of place. Seat beads to be rewelded or replaced. There’s a great photo from another user I’ll try to find and share
        Attached Files
        Last edited by fnf01; 01-16-2019, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Good info there. I never would have guess that was the cause.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X