Shrinking Tire Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrinking Tire Selection

Yes, another thread on the shrinking tire selection, except different because the answers from two years ago are mostly obsolete.

Anyway, what tires do people recommend on E30 14" wheels (and I like the look of my basketweaves so I don't want to get bigger wheels at this point)? My tires were last replaced by the PO and have a 2008 stamp, and have some cracks. As I daily drive my E30 about every other month, I don't want them to fall apart while taking a nice corner. Searching for tires, people seem to recommend the Falken Zeix tires for our E30s, but those are discontinued.

I came across this Doral brand at $50 a pop, which is apparently a Sumitomo sub-brand, but I haven't found any E30 reviews of them (only one E21, which was positive). Anyone run these? Happy with them? I'm looking for all-seasons (winter in CT is mild) with good performance.

I just installed Falken Azenis 615k's on my 14in weaves and LOVE them. They are bit more pricy, but the grip I have been able to get out of them for both daily and spirited backroad driving is great. The sidewalls are more firm than you'd expect, but no to the point of not being able to daily drive it.
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

Comment

Thanks for input on those, but it looks like those are summers? I'm looking for all-seasons (I also have a NA Miata and she's got summers, so I already have 1 car that I switch tires with the seasons). Plus I'd have to get another set of wheels if I was to do that, in which case the size wouldn't be much of an issue.
      Also, are you running 195/60 on the Azenis? I didn't see any 195/65 for those.

Comment

I did size down slightly to run a 195/60 rather than a 195/65. No issues at all for me doing that, the trade off to have the grippier tire was worth it.
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

Yeah, looks like that would only be a 3.3% hit on speedo error (on the too fast side), which is pretty much unnoticeable. Good idea, I'll be searching 195/60s as well.

Comment

I have run 205/60/14 on bottlecaps. Rare size to find but a great look.

Comment

Ended up going with the Doral SDL-A from Amazon in the stock 195/65/14 size. Found some reviews on VulcanTires from the MGB crowd that drove them aggressively and were happy. Sold me.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo55 View Post
                Ended up going with the Doral SDL-A from Amazon in the stock 195/65/14 size. Found some reviews on VulcanTires from the MGB crowd that drove them aggressively and were happy. Sold me.
                Any feedback on the Dorals after some time with them? I am a new owner and my tires are dry rotted. Not looking to upgrade to different wheels yet. Looking for some all season tires and debating on trying these versus moving down to 195/60s which has more selection.

Comment

Get Vredestein Sportrac 5s in 195/65 for warm weather use and most any 185/70 winter if you need them.

Comment

Working...
                  X