Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebayer - usedbmwparts

Anyone familiar with this seller?

I contacted him about this 5 speed. He said he could sell the whole swap for $500. Deal. Hit the buy it now. He then messages me and says he needs me to pay "friends and family". That makes me nervous.

His Ebay feedback is 100% with 900+ transactions.

Google his David Vines - Alabama. He's got a parts business there with a 2 star rating. Lots of BBB complaints about slow shipping, lack of communication, wrong parts sold, etc.
    1991 318iC
    1989 325i Field Rescue

He doesn't need it. Just add the amount for the fee into your payment, or go elsewhere.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
      He doesn't need it. Just add the amount for the fee into your payment, or go elsewhere.
      Great advice, that's what I always do. The extra $15 will be totally worth the extra protection.
      Build Threads:
      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Sounds like the dude is just trying to avoid paying ebay and paypal fees. I get where he is coming from because eBay sucks, but it's not confidence inspiring to a potential buyer as it provides you with ZERO buyer protection.

That said, unless I know the seller, I'd add the additional cost of fees send it as a goods and services payment. To me ~$16-20 insurance is a no brainer.

I would also send two payments. One through the eBay checkout for the transmission, then send the balance via PayPal G&S. That way there is record of payment in eBay as well as PayPal for all of your money.
        Follow us on Facebook and Instagram

On qualified parts... email me at dealindave@blunttech.com

Comment

well eBay does not suck, he probably wouldn't have found the parts or be able to transact this so swimmingly without eBay. I would tell him no, circumventing the system just makes our fees higher for people who do it right. eBay knows people do this kind of thing and factor this into their fee structures.

Comment

I found some feedback on him in the buyer/seller feedback section here. Probably should have opened this there.. Regardless the feedback was good.

Called the seller and he was cool with handling it all through Ebay. His issue was that the payment showed a hold for 3 weeks. He cancelled it and I resent and all was well.

I'll post when everything arrives.
            1991 318iC
            1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by DealinDave@Blunttech.com View Post
              unless I know the seller, I'd add the additional cost of fees send it as a goods and services payment. To me ~$16-20 insurance is a no brainer.
              This x1000

I have done it every time I've bought parts from people here and they haven't adjusted their damned price for it.
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Same here.

I don't ask any buyer to ever send it as friends and family. It goes both ways, protects the seller and the buyer.

Plus, for small time sellers like me, it makes it easier to do the shipping without having to create a new shipment in Multi shipping.
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post

^this.

I had a similar thing once. Bought a hydro brake booster, seller wanted friends and family and i said i'd pay 15€ more as "normal business transaction" which leaves him with 2,xx€ more in the end. Never replied, after a few weeks i checked back and saw reviews about never sending things starting to trickle into his account.

Comment

Jesus himself could ask to send as F&F and I would still say no.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by DealinDave@Blunttech.com View Post
                      Sounds like the dude is just trying to avoid paying ebay and paypal fees...

Same issue here in germany, sometimes you get nothing and sometimes they reward you with more parts than paid for. Depends on the good will of the sender. Thus said, i paid 170€ for a re-programmed MS42 ECU, wrote a complaint that ecu wouldn't work and got a second one for free (both where ok)

... So the buyer/seller protection could be worth it's bucks

Comment

So basically you ripped the other guy off by claiming the received ECU doesn't work although it did?

Comment

Originally posted by sebe20 View Post
                          Same issue here in germany, sometimes you get nothing and sometimes they reward you with more parts than paid for. Depends on the good will of the sender. Thus said, i paid 170€ for a re-programmed MS42 ECU, wrote a complaint that ecu wouldn't work and got a second one for free (both where ok)

... So the buyer/seller protection could be worth it's bucks
                          Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
                          So basically you ripped the other guy off by claiming the received ECU doesn't work although it did?
                          Uh yeah there may have been some lost in translation happening, but it sounds like you got the item you ordered then wrote a bogus complaint and received a second part for free? If that is the case, then you and people like you are why good sellers are leaving eBay.

Originally posted by JJCTHE1 View Post
                          well eBay does not suck, he probably wouldn't have found the parts or be able to transact this so swimmingly without eBay. I would tell him no, circumventing the system just makes our fees higher for people who do it right. eBay knows people do this kind of thing and factor this into their fee structures.
                          I think it depends on your business. From a new parts seller standpoint, eBay does indeed suck. They offer very little seller protection outside of fraudulent transactions. Also, their fee structure means that they make more on the sale of 75-80% of items in our eBay store than I do. Don't get me wrong, it's not eBay's fault that the online auto part market is over-saturated and it's a race to the bottom for pricing. I do expect some kind of value though if I'm paying a premium for your service and transaction protection should go both ways. A buyer shouldn't be able to make a bogus claim in order to circumvent a return policy or to get a fraudulent refund. Once a month I have to deal with shitbag buyers that file a claim under false pretense in order to bypass our return policy. I then usually get to spend anywhere between 20 minutes and 3 hours explaining to eBay customer service (oxymoron) why this seller isn't entitled to a return on my dime because they filed a bogus return, or it violated our clearly laid out return policy. While it is cheaper/easier to just eat the cost on a $50 part, I happily fight every false claim until eBay either stops creating a haven by catering to piece of shit buyers or until they get sick of me and just eat the transaction. The only real value in eBay to me is a little additional exposure.

TL : DR eBay does indeed suck.
                          Last edited by DealinDave@Blunttech.com; 12-18-2018, 08:52 AM.

Comment

ah yes i think i need to explain more to not be labelled scumbag:
                            I ordered a ecu with tune for specific use from the UK.
                            Got the ecu after short time, plugged it in, didn't work tho. It was sent to me wrapped in something similar to this https://i.imgur.com/imzngEh.png (but not wet or damp)
                            contacted seller, they suggested ecu was damaged and offered to ship another one straight away which i agreed since i didn't have time to wait for them to check by themself cause the car had to move to a different storage at that time.
                            gave the not working ecu afterwards to a chiptuner to check it, turns out the ebay seller forgot to delete ews, but didn't bother to print a return label and check it by themself.
                            so in the end i ended up with 2 working ecu's (just one with wrong tune) and didn't bother to send it back either. Turns out both where from wrecked e39's (what i could tell from inpa)

so in my case i got a good seller on ebay whos a bit lazy, but otherwise very friendly

Comment

Originally posted by sebe20 View Post
                              ah yes i think i need to explain more to not be labelled scumbag:
                              I ordered a ecu with tune for specific use from the UK.
                              Got the ecu after short time, plugged it in, didn't work tho. It was sent to me wrapped in something similar to this https://i.imgur.com/imzngEh.png (but not wet or damp)
                              contacted seller, they suggested ecu was damaged and offered to ship another one straight away which i agreed since i didn't have time to wait for them to check by themself cause the car had to move to a different storage at that time.
                              gave the not working ecu afterwards to a chiptuner to check it, turns out the ebay seller forgot to delete ews, but didn't bother to print a return label and check it by themself.
                              so in the end i ended up with 2 working ecu's (just one with wrong tune) and didn't bother to send it back either. Turns out both where from wrecked e39's (what i could tell from inpa)

so in my case i got a good seller on ebay whos a bit lazy, but otherwise very friendly
                              Yeah that makes sense then. There are occasions where I'll refund a buyer and won't request the part back either due to it not being worth the additional postage, or just as a goodwill gesture to a buyer.

Comment

Working...
                              X