No crank no start, just whining noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No crank no start, just whining noise

So my convertible died last year while driving. Everything was driving fine then the engine just cut out. I tried to replace the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs. When I try to start it, the car does not turn over. Today I tried to replace the starter with a brand new one. But still nothing. Does the same thing. Just makes a loud whining noise. Really stumped on this and can’t figure it out. I believe that I am getting no spark and I’m guessing it’s an electrical issue. Please hallpppp!

Check if the timing belt is broken. Those symptoms sound a lot like the belt may have let go.

The E30 collection:
    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

That’s what I was thinking too from the beginning. But I wanted to try other things first. Thank you!

Comment

When the car died, did it just cut out and the car kept rolling? Or did it lock up the rear wheels? Or make a lot of banging, clanging, etc?

Can you give a little more detail on what's happening when you try to start now? Is the engine rotating and not catching, or is it really not turning at all? Is the whine the sound of something spinning, or more like the starting motor trying to turn but not able to?
        sigpic

ClassicBimmerBits.com

Garage:______________________________________
        -1989 Alpinweiss II 325i - Other Daily Driver
        -1989 Zinnoberrot 325i - Daily Driver
        -1974 2002 - Weekender
        -1989 325ix - Totalled :(
        -1981 320i - Sold
        -1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - Sold

Comment

The car just completely cut out. Dash lights were still on though. When I try to starting, it just more of a spinning sound.

Comment

Originally posted by E21newb View Post
            When I try to starting, it just more of a spinning sound.
            As mentioned above, have someone crank the starter while you watch the front of the engine. Is the crank shaft turning? If nothing is turning, pull the starter and bench test it. Time to narrow things down.

If the crank shaft is turning and easily (whirling noise) you probably broke the timing belt.

But one thing at a time.
            2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
            X