No start mystery - m20 Stroker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start mystery - m20 Stroker

Have a car that I got for parts, realizing it is way too nice to cannibalize so I'm trying to get it running.

From what I understand it's a 2.7L stroker build.

I've done the following:

hand cranked motor to verify it spins freely
    checked plugs and wires
    changed oil
    flushed coolant
    replaced battery

When turning the key, nothing happens. I suspect it may have something to do with missing grounds, faulty starter, ECU or clutch interlock.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by hexagone; 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM.

Check the ignition switch, there should be a wire plugged in, that is black with a yellow tracer. If it isn't, the starter won't get any power.

Starter could also be stuck. You can jump the pins at the diagnostic connector (one for 12v to starter and one to ground) and smack the starter with a blunt object.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Forgot to add - the clutch pedal is drooping almost all the way on the floor.

When turning the key, there's a subtle click - almost like a switchboard

Comment

Originally posted by hexagone View Post
        Forgot to add - the clutch pedal is drooping almost all the way on the floor.

When turning the key, there's a subtle click - almost like a switchboard
        clutch pedal mens you have a leak in the clutch clutch hydraulics (master/slave/lines) somewhere.
        I'd start with testing the starter first:https://www.e30zone.net/e30wiki/index.php?title=Starter

Comment

^ this.

Also, read the thread below. I had a similar problem a few years back. Make sure all the wires from the harness are in place at the starter. You can also see if you can jump the starter...

My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Any clue if it was started/running before it was given to you for the part out?
            If nothing happens when you turn the key, your suspicion of the ECU (not getting info) could be valid - check the resistance on the CPS terminals.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
              Any clue if it was started/running before it was given to you for the part out?
              If nothing happens when you turn the key, your suspicion of the ECU (not getting info) could be valid - check the resistance on the CPS terminals.
              Assuming I know nothing about the swap - would the ECU have to have been changed also?

Comment

No
                My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Updates?
                  I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                  TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                  e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I suppose it could be the ecu but I’d start with testing the starter. If the engine isn’t cranking start checking for voltage. As for the ecu being swapped for the 2.7 striker build, that depends on if it was originally an i car or an eta. The swap utilized the 325i ecu so if it was originally a 325e it is swapped. 2.7i swaps utilize the i harness which may need to be modified to use the 325e harness. This was the case on my 87. Make sure that all the wires are accounted for

Comment

It was originally a 325is

Comment

Working...
                      X