No announcement yet.

Cross country trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome ride, gotta love the factory Mtech Appearance cars.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

1k a day? holy cow that's some seat time. I drove from corpus Christi texas to Anaheim California, doing the scenic route (through the grand canyon national park, death valley, the sequoia national park, and san francisco), and it was long days too. unfortunately, mine was not in an e30. I wanted to but the espousa won.

I understand that focus sign though. tunnel vision in the evenings gets you on that type of ride

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
        1k a day? holy cow that's some seat time. I drove from corpus Christi texas to Anaheim California, doing the scenic route (through the grand canyon national park, death valley, the sequoia national park, and san francisco), and it was long days too. unfortunately, mine was not in an e30. I wanted to but the espousa won.

I understand that focus sign though. tunnel vision in the evenings gets you on that type of ride
        My wife was reluctant but she is now converted. She can't believe how comfortable the sport seats were for a long ride.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish mine would go back. she had an 88 325is as her first bmw, back about 10 or 15 years ago. now, she won't even sit in the e30s we have.

Comment

I drove my E30 from Ohio to SoCal when I moved and despite a breakdown in the desert it was a hell of a highway cruiser. Getting the itch for another road trip in it soon.
            91 318is M50 swapped
            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

I drove mine from CT to SF last summer - and then drove it back! I averaged 8-10 hours a day. Didn't stop to see much!

You went at the right time of year. I was going insane picking my sweat drenched shirt off my back for moments of relief driving through the Nevada desert on I80 in July

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I bet. when we went through death valley at 5pm, this last may, the temps were readying 115-117.

the signs at death valley park made me laugh.

Comment

These 27 plus year old cars are still great drivers. Man, a lot of miles. Did any of you have any mechanicals along the way?

Comment

Awesome trip, love the 'sticker' on the steering wheel! Stuff like that is important when you're driving solo for 10+ hours a day.

Back when I was in college, I drove from Long Island, NY to Spokane, WA in late August in my S50'd E30...with no AC, Recaro Speed seats, HR race springs, etc. Don't think I'd be able to survive that one again.

My route was:
                    LI to Columbus, OH (~550 miles)
                    Columbus, OH to Lawrence, KS (~710 miles)
                    Lawrence, KS to Pine River, MN (~650 miles)
                    Pine River, MN to Bozeman, MT (~880 miles)
                    Bozeman, MT to Spokane, WA (~400 miles)

I have no idea how you managed 1,000 miles a day solo. I thought I was losing my mind when I drove from MN to MT solo...and I was doing triple digits for about 3 hours (which led to my only 'break down').

Anyway, badass trip. Equally badass car.

Cheers!
                    Joe

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
                    Sounds like you need a massage.
                    Originally posted by kpeng
                    Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
                      Awesome trip, love the 'sticker' on the steering wheel! Stuff like that is important when you're driving solo for 10+ hours a day.

Back when I was in college, I drove from Long Island, NY to Spokane, WA in late August in my S50'd E30...with no AC, Recaro Speed seats, HR race springs, etc. Don't think I'd be able to survive that one again.

My route was:
                      LI to Columbus, OH (~550 miles)
                      Columbus, OH to Lawrence, KS (~710 miles)
                      Lawrence, KS to Pine River, MN (~650 miles)
                      Pine River, MN to Bozeman, MT (~880 miles)
                      Bozeman, MT to Spokane, WA (~400 miles)

I have no idea how you managed 1,000 miles a day solo. I thought I was losing my mind when I drove from MN to MT solo...and I was doing triple digits for about 3 hours (which led to my only 'break down').

Anyway, badass trip. Equally badass car.

Cheers!
                      Joe
                      No mechanical issues. I keep it very well maintained. I gave a list to my daughter on things to check and keep maintained while she's in CA. I did do 100 percent of the driving, but I was not solo. My wife was with me. I'm still shoked that she came! She has no regrets and now understands our passion for E30's.

Comment

Man, this thread reminds me of a 24 hr long road trip I took years ago with a buddy in his 95 M3.

Did all ~1500 miles non stop. Front brake caliper started to seize about ~300 miles in, so no brakes for about 1200 miles of the trip. Emitted a horrendous stench as the pad chewed away the rotor and vice versa every time you used them.

Did another ~24 hr straight through trip from Whistler Canada to AZ a couple of summers ago. That one was in a newer and more comfortable truck though. Still a pain in the ass.

Ah, the good old days, when you could encourage me to partake in such activities.
                        My previous build (currently E30-less)
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                          I drove mine from CT to SF last summer - and then drove it back! I averaged 8-10 hours a day. Didn't stop to see much!

You went at the right time of year. I was going insane picking my sweat drenched shirt off my back for moments of relief driving through the Nevada desert on I80 in July
                          OMG. Don't know if I could do it in that heat.

Comment

^ thankfully only that last day from Salt Lake to the bay area was sweltering hot. The other days were below 95. But I enjoyed every minute of it

on the way back, my route took me south to LA and then eastward on I10. The stretch of highway between LA and Phoenix in early fall at dusk in a convertible is breathtaking

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

We have our normal long trip coming this summer. Its only from corpus christi, texas to camp lejeune, north carolina though. Leave here at 0700 and drive to the north east side of atlanta and get a hotel around 2200. Get up at be on the road at 0700 the next day and be at camp lejeune around 1400. Gives us time for snacks and meals along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
                                I bet. when we went through death valley at 5pm, this last may, the temps were readying 115-117.
                                pfft, that's nothing. Last spring in Vegas/Arizona, the temps were averaging aroung 120F per day/

I've never experienced heat like that before. It's so dry that your sweat evaporates before you see it on your skin! I drank roughly 9 quarts of water (no booze) over a 4 day period yet only peed a handful of times.

true story
                                If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Working...
                                X