Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dogleg Gear Box Identification

Hey guys,

With s14 being down, I was hoping someone here can help me ID this transmission. Ive tried to pull info from a few sites that looked credible, however I am still a bit confused. The transmission in question is from a Euro 1979 635CSI (according to my research its compatible with the big inline 6's and the s14). Before I dropped the trans, I shifted it into each gear to verify it had the correct pattern. I felt 3 gears towards me, and 3 gears away when in the car, with reverse and first being almost in the same line, and two more linear patterns (2-3, 4-5). This had me completely convinced that it was a close ratio dogleg, so I bought it on the spot. Although I ran through the gears, I have the following concerns now that Ive looked at the transmission at home:

-I read up on them an saw that 5th gear should have a 1:1 ratio. I ran out to the garage to check, and I dont know if my trans is showing a 1:1 when I spin the output shaft and watch the input shaft.

-According to: http://bmwe30m3.net/wiki/index.php?t...omparison_info, all the other identifying marks listed on the site in red are there on my gear box, so that checks out. Whats different is the location of the GETRAG stamp on the case.

-I dont see anywhere on my gear box where its stamped 265/5, and I still dont understand why the dogleg gearbox is called a 265/5.

-The part number on my box starts with 262, although from what Ive read, this is common and I should disregard that part number as the dogleg units were built in other stamped casings.

Any help would be great. Im banking on the fact that this trans was pulled from the correct car, a euro sport 6 series, and my quick once over of the shift pattern before I removed the transmission (with it out I cant really shift through the pattern definitively, all I have is the trans and bell housing).

Im rebuilding a 1974 2002, and this was planned to be attached to the s14 waiting to be transplanted, hoping I made the right choice when I bought it.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

-Ryan

Pics of my trans:

-Ryan
    05/87 Henna M3
    04/71 Baikal 2002tii

getrag 262 :-)

Comment

Found on another site, hope it helps: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?p=71340

The 262 Sport Getrag CR dogleg was optional on the 528iSE. These are the boxes fitted to euro M28s:

BMW 280 Sport Getrag M5
      1st..... 3.514
      2nd.... 2.080
      3rd..... 1.355
      4th..... 1.000
      5th..... 0.810

265 Getrag
      1st..... 3.822
      2nd.... 2.200
      3rd..... 1.398
      4th..... 1.000
      5th..... 0.813

260 Getrag
      1st..... 3.830
      2nd.... 2.200
      3rd..... 1.401
      4th..... 1.000
      5th..... 0.810

262 Sport Getrag CR Dogleg
      1st..... 3.717
      2nd.... 2.403
      3rd..... 1.766
      4th..... 1.263
      5th..... 1.000
      Continuous For Sale Thread
      323i s50

Comment

The issue with this box is it's also used in Volvo's and Mercedes. It makes them some times difficult to identify. This is different from my wide ratio.

Is Jimmy P a member here? He is very well versed with these as is Blanton.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Unfortunately, even a regular H pattern M3 Getrag 265 doesn't have 265 anywhere on the transmission. It also uses a 262 case.
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

@ Court M3,
            Ya that site did help. I read through the thread and a few statements match my transmissions description.
            -The 265 is in four pieces - bellhousing, first section, fifth gear housing, end cover. The 262 4 speed isnt, so this means mt trans is either 265/5 or 265/6.
            -If it's a 265 and you're trying to figure out if it's a OD or close ratio go to the far right shift gate, you will have to fight a spring, see if it goes up and back or just back. Both up and back means close ratio. Mine goes up and back, so narrows it to 265/5.

What still has m confused is the ratio. So when the ratios are listed in 5th as either a 1:1 or a 1:0.810, what does this mean? Does the first number, the 1, represent the input shaft? And the second number, the .081 or the 1, represent the output shaft? So I know what to look for when I mark the two and see how the spin in relation to one another on my trans.

@M-technik-3 and Todd Black 88
            Thanks for the responses. I also noted my 89 M3 transmission as being labeled a 262. Big differences between the 89 M3 trans and the 79 635CSI trans are the ways the three pieces of the transmission bolt together. Just like in this link: http://bmwe30m3.net/wiki/index.php?t...omparison_info the M3 trans coms together with the bolts being offset, and my 635 trans has the bolts coming together in parallel.

I guess Ill go out in the garage and try to get it into 5th without having the shift linkage to try and again verify the 1:1 relationship.
            -Ryan
            05/87 Henna M3
            04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

All close ratio or dogleg bmw trans have 1 to 1 5th gear. This is very easy to ID with the trans in 5th, the input and output shafts are turning exactly the same speed. One revolution input equals one revolution on the output.

Remember when engaging gears without the shift linkage installed that the forward and backward motions are reversed.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                All close ratio or dogleg bmw trans have 1 to 1 5th gear. This is very easy to ID with the trans in 5th, the input and output shafts are turning exactly the same speed. One revolution input equals one revolution on the output.

Remember when engaging gears without the shift linkage installed that the forward and backward motions are reversed.
                I was telling myself that in my head when I went out to test it but I still did it backwards, hence my confusion. I was getting a 1:~1.2, bu now I see I was in 4th not 5th. It all checks out now, its 1:1! Thanks, I just ran back out after your post, now I feel much, much better. Thanks again guys!
                -Ryan
                05/87 Henna M3
                04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

Originally posted by RCM3 View Post
                  I was telling myself that in my head when I went out to test it but I still did it backwards, hence my confusion. I was getting a 1:~1.2, bu now I see I was in 4th not 5th. It all checks out now, its 1:1! Thanks, I just ran back out after your post, now I feel much, much better. Thanks again guys!

Are you saying you found a gear that outputs 1.2 revs to to 1.0 rev on the input ? Or 1.2 input yielded 1.0 output ?

There is no gear on a CR/dogleg that would be 1.0 input and 1.2 output, that would be an overdrive 'box.
                  Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Good news!

The one difference I believe, with an early 6 series CR box reverse is not synchromesh, unlike the M3 CR box.
                    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                    2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Are you saying you found a gear that outputs 1.2 revs to to 1.0 rev on the input ? Or 1.2 input yielded 1.0 output ?

There is no gear on a CR/dogleg that would be 1.0 input and 1.2 output, that would be an overdrive 'box.
                      When I attempted to check 5th yesterday, I think I actually had the trans in 4th. I believe I noted 1.2 turns of the engine side to 1 turn of the drive line side. Doesnt that match the 4th gear description listed about for the C/R box? I went back out and got the box into 5th, with 4th and 5th being in a line and noted a 1:1 relationship. Am I doing this correctly? I'm only using a marker to note these positions so I am estimating.
                      -Ryan
                      05/87 Henna M3
                      04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                        Good news!

The one difference I believe, with an early 6 series CR box reverse is not synchromesh, unlike the M3 CR box.
                        Ok, will this present any issues with my project, mating this trans to the s14 I have at home? Anything I shoud be careful with once the swap is complete? What are the pros of the synchromesh reverse gear?
                        -Ryan
                        05/87 Henna M3
                        04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

That is correct for CR , i couldn't tell for sure where the 1.0 and 1.2 were.
                          Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

That is correct for CR , i couldn't tell for sure where the 1.0 and 1.2 were.
                            I appreciate the confirmation, ya my explanation wasnt the best. Thanks again
                            -Ryan
                            05/87 Henna M3
                            04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

Originally posted by RCM3 View Post
                              Ok, will this present any issues with my project, mating this trans to the s14 I have at home? Anything I shoud be careful with once the swap is complete? What are the pros of the synchromesh reverse gear?
                              Not at all. You just need to get used to taking the time going into reverse or you will get a crunchy engagement.
                              2010 F650gs twin

Comment

Working...
                              X