How much is this e30 m3 worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
    I'm not an expert on E30 M3's, but I'd suspect that an unmolested example with that mileage and only cosmetic defects would bring north of $10K. Perhaps a fair bit north.
    $10k seems to be the popular price. Its not molested, but its definitely been used. Although I cant be sure, I doubt any track days.
    I did see a member on here who purchased a project and tracked m3 for about $5k. So I guess it should be valued higher than his.

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
    Looking at that pic, the rear muffler is needing new hangers, if the clearcoat is shot, you have no other alternative but to repaint the whole car. I'll also bet the rear suspension bushings are all shot, or at least tired.

If you can get it for about $13K, it might not be a bad deal, but expect to drop another $5-7K on bringing things up to spec on the car. (I'm not including a paint job in that either. Paint will be $5k easy.) If no rust and the motor is healthy, I'd say go for it.

Look at it this way, the way the M3 prices are going, if you buy it for say $13K, put $10K (Not that it will necessarily need that much) you will still be able to sell the car for what you have into it, if not more.

Will
    Looks like Will is here the saved the OP. :D Also I have a bruise on my chin from replacing the muffler hanger on my IS.

I know a reputable shop in town who can do good paint work for me. Ill probably take it there for a exterior respray (maybe engine bay as well) if clearcoat is in bad shape.

Originally posted by TurboJake View Post
    I strongly beg to differ from these folks. To buy it for 13k, and stick another 10k into expecting the resale value to be at 23k, is asking a bit much. It takes a very strong and clean example to pull over 20k in this market.

I wouldn't pay over 10k. But as it stands, it could easily pull 10k.
    Thanks for an honest opinion TurboJake. I did see a few e30 m3s on autotrade going for $20k, and noticed how expensive these e30 m3s can be.

Originally posted by MJCRO View Post
    10 to 15K easily.
    :up: 15k seems to be more towards a better condition e30, but Im sure it'll go for that high in more of a enthusiast saturated areas.

Originally posted by LSM3 View Post
    Exactly. If M3's in that condition were 10k I would be buying all of them. Seriously.

I paid 11k for mine and Im in the middle of a full resto.
    They are quite irresistible! $9-12k seems to be the median price range.

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
    How do you guys all know that the clear is shot or even damaged from that pic? It's extremely hard to tell if that's peeling clear or just dirt or dust. Also, 140k isn't an especially small amount of miles for an s14.
    I can't remember the condition 100%, but IIRC, clearcoat was still hanging on to the car. Also the car was really dirty. But regardless of clearcoat peals, there were some spots on the car that required paint correction. especially the front end and boot lid.

Originally posted by Cronopoulos View Post
    I would be doing back flips
    My 1990 325is Build Thread

Comment

Basically, as long as the clear coat hasn't delaminated, it can be saved. However, if it's extremely worn/damaged it may peel shortly no matter what you do.
      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
        How do you guys all know that the clear is shot or even damaged from that pic? It's extremely hard to tell if that's peeling clear or just dirt or dust. Also, 140k isn't an especially small amount of miles for an s14.
        We done know for sure but I see what looks like worn paint/clear on a very common area on M3's...bumpers. the M3 badge it is clearly original and extremely well worn. 24 year old paint two stage paint that hasn't been kept? Chances are it can be saved if polished and recleared but you'd be better off respraying the entire car especially since its an m3. As long as it was maintained properly and not tracked hard (yeah right), 140k on the s14 is nothin. There are plenty of s14's with 200k plus and still going.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Can you guys please point me in the direction of all these decent 9k-12k E30 M3s out there..I want one for a DD
          .....Ill wait.....

Comment

Originally posted by LSM3 View Post
            ..I want one for a DD
            .....Ill wait.....
            No you dont! i have one with an s14b23 pretty much the worst piece of crap to dd. i DD my mtech2 vert+hardtop. it doesnt over heat in traffic, doesnt need to be above 4k to get power, sounds better 6cyl>4cyl sound and has more torque. m-f i dont touch mine. sat-sun there isnt a street i keep it under the speed limit on.
            Much wow
            I hate 4 doors

Comment

Just go in and judge the guy and see what he's like, that's the best advice in my opinion. If you can read him and see he's kind of clueless so to speak or not really understanding what he has then offer him 5k for it and make sure you say all the things your going to have to do to it to make it run and look right. Don't go all crazy or he'll know your an enthusiast and be able to read you and know he can charge you more than he may have initially thought. Keep it cool and act nonchalant make it seem like you just want the car cuz it looks cool or your dad had one back in the day or something. Now if he's an enthusiast and knows what he's got then your in a tougher position and be ready to pay 10k or more because he'll know he can demand that price and if you want it bad enough you'll pay. Just pray he's semi naive and try and walk out with it for cheap.

Originally posted by blunttech
              Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Since he has had the car a long time and has neglected it there's a strong chance he doesn't know the m3 market but that may have changed from the time u contacted him. With that said I saw a white m3 with cheesey rims parked in los feliz and regret not stopping immediately to leave a note. I ate dinner and when I came out it was gone...: / lost opportunity.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
                  Just go in and judge the guy and see what he's like, that's the best advice in my opinion. If you can read him and see he's kind of clueless so to speak or not really understanding what he has then offer him 5k for it and make sure you say all the things your going to have to do to it to make it run and look right. Don't go all crazy or he'll know your an enthusiast and be able to read you and know he can charge you more than he may have initially thought. Keep it cool and act nonchalant make it seem like you just want the car cuz it looks cool or your dad had one back in the day or something. Now if he's an enthusiast and knows what he's got then your in a tougher position and be ready to pay 10k or more because he'll know he can demand that price and if you want it bad enough you'll pay. Just pray he's semi naive and try and walk out with it for cheap.
                  Thank you for the good advice. Ive never been a good bargainer except for the one time I picked up a set of m3 wheels for dirt cheap. He already told me what he wants for it, and he declined my lower offer. I want to meet him in person and check out the car thoroughly before I call the final price. What do you think?

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                  Since he has had the car a long time and has neglected it there's a strong chance he doesn't know the m3 market but that may have changed from the time u contacted him. With that said I saw a white m3 with cheesey rims parked in los feliz and regret not stopping immediately to leave a note. I ate dinner and when I came out it was gone...: / lost opportunity.
                  Yeah this was the first time I left a note on someones car, and to be honest, I didn't expect a reply. Now on, I think Ill be leaving notes on more often, or whenever I have a chance.
                  Also he seems to know a rough estimate of how much his car is worth. Conversation was short and I was at the groceries so I could only hear half the things he said, but he didn't sound like an enthusiast. Also, the way he parked his car didn't look so presentable with wheel not turned back to center and the overall dirtiness of the car shows that he is not really an enthusiast.
                  My 1990 325is Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ksjdan View Post
                    Also he seems to know a rough estimate of how much his car is worth. Conversation was short and I was at the groceries so I could only hear half the things he said, but he didn't sound like an enthusiast. Also, the way he parked his car didn't look so presentable with wheel not turned back to center and the overall dirtiness of the car shows that he is not really an enthusiast.

I dunno. If you just got a quick look at my car you wouldn't think I was either.. Once you got a GOOD look you would know. Casually looking at it, there's only one thing that would make you wonder.

Also, Enthusiasts make their wheels straight every time they park? what?

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by ksjdan View Post
                      Thank you for the good advice. Ive never been a good bargainer except for the one time I picked up a set of m3 wheels for dirt cheap. He already told me what he wants for it, and he declined my lower offer. I want to meet him in person and check out the car thoroughly before I call the final price. What do you think?
                      what does he want for it ?
                      1987 325ic
                      2001 996tt
                      2000 996c2 vert
                      2008 b7 s4
                      2008 ml550

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                        No you dont! i have one with an s14b23 pretty much the worst piece of crap to dd. i DD my mtech2 vert+hardtop. it doesnt over heat in traffic, doesnt need to be above 4k to get power, sounds better 6cyl>4cyl sound and has more torque. m-f i dont touch mine. sat-sun there isnt a street i keep it under the speed limit on.
                        I think there is something wrong with your M3 dude. everything you say is so opposite to mine.
                        "I wanna see da boat movie"
                        "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
                          I think there is something wrong with your M3 dude. everything you say is so opposite to mine.
                          +1

I always straighten my wheels out, but never really thought about it.

Comment

+1 as well. I daily drive my M3 and its fantastic. Never gets warm, gets good mileage (20 around town, 30+ on the freeway) its comfy, quiet, has a fantastic sounding stereo system, excellent visibility out of it, its got enough power below 4k rpm and goes plenty well above despite the fact that it likely needs the engine rebuilt. It turns heads everywhere I go. Seriously, what is there to not like about it? Heck, I've put nearly 12K miles on the car since I bought it last December. Have I put some $ into the car? Yes, but its been on stuff that was normal maintenance stuff the previous owner didn't bother to take care of. (The guy was a bit of a moron, and the person he had working on the car for him shouldn't be anywhere near a set of tools I've found so many stupid "fixes" its not funny. Wrong parts, poorly installed parts, parts that were said to have been replaced, but were either not replaced or replaced with used ones rather than easily sourced new ones ect.)

I have to disagree with 99% of all the statements knocking the M3 has a good daily driver. The motor is solid, its got way more power than most of the econobox POS cars on the road these days (that by and large people say make great commuter/daily driver cars) Heck, off the top of my head, I can't think of a 4 cyl motor that makes more power in stock form till you get to the S2000, and even so the S14b23 has far more torque than even that motor. Its even got as much power as many V6s out there.

If you can score the car, do so, look at it as a long term project and odds are you will get your $ out of it in the end. The prices are only going in one direction and that is up. For every one that is crashed or motor swapped, the value of the remaining cars just goes up.

Just my $0.02,
                            Will
                            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

I agree no way he owns a e30 m3 must be trolling
                              The e30 m3 4 cylinder sounds much better than any 6 cylinder .my car has never over heated.how many 6 cylinder have had blown head gasket from over heating 99.5 percent.Funny I don't see your e30 m3 listed any were ?i think I saw your m tech 2 at Archie 's . This month drive down you e30 m3 like to check it out.
                              Last edited by carfantiti; 11-05-2012, 12:39 PM.

Comment

he does own a M3, he just bought it. BlackbirdM3 summed it up perfect. I'm on a whole refreshed engine, tore it down and inspected everything, only needed to replace 1 valve. Didn't really need to but since i was three might as well. All hoses replaced, at idle temp is just to right of mid way. Has power in all gears and rpms.
                                I have S14, M42 and the M20
                                "I wanna see da boat movie"
                                "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Working...
                                X