Trashed M3 Fetches $18K - !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G FORCE View Post
    Regarding buying cars as an investment being the wrong reasons, I do not agree at all. I wish I could have foreseen the F&F non-sense and bought 5 MKIV supras for $15k each and then sold them for more than 2x that after. There are plenty of people that buy cars for investment not unlike real estate. It is far and few between that you buy a car that actually appreciates but if you can find one, why not?
    Yeh, losing money is not a badge of honor.

Comment

I don't think I'd pay much over $1k for that car. I'm not sure what is causing the value of the E30 M3 to skyrocket, but it can't be 'rarity' because it's not that rare. About 5,300 US-spec. Plus even more imports. There's probably less iX's in the US than M3's, and far less mtechs.
      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
        I don't think I'd pay much over $1k for that car. I'm not sure what is causing the value of the E30 M3 to skyrocket, but it can't be 'rarity' because it's not that rare. About 5,300 US-spec. Plus even more imports. There's probably less iX's in the US than M3's, and far less mtechs.
        $1K? really? Okay, the reality is...the suspension alone is worth twice that. The bumpers alone are worth $1k and have been for a while now. 5000 imported from 88-91...25+ years ago which is a long time for a "race" car to survive compared to what? 500,000 318/325's? . Many have been totaled over the years. It is estimated that there are roughly 2500 left and only a few rare M3's are being imported but many more are being exported. Lot's of US spec M3's are finding their way into other countries overseas for a variety of reasons (clean cars, salvage/junk titles, favorable currency exchange rate).

You're right though, it's not only about rarity...a car has to be desirable too. It is the first M3, the one they keep comparing all other M cars to. It's a historically significant car whether you like it or not so it's quite easy to see how it would become very collectible. Full M techs are so rare, many just don't know about them but even so they are just a luxury trim and performance (upgraded suspension/bodykit) package on a 325iC.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

It's late at 12:00 am, but I'll try to be brief:

I don't think I'd pay much over $1k for that car. I'm not sure what is causing the value of the E30 M3 to skyrocket, but it can't be 'rarity' because it's not that rare. About 5,300 US-spec. Plus even more imports.
          Some of the reasons: Homologation, built for one purpose...to go racing, Racing (road & rally) history, most successful touring wins ever, stick shift only, body variations (including frt & rear windshields, rear window extension, a & c int pillars, cluster, etc), about half or less are still on the roads, half of that on the road have swapped (S5X or LS) motors, the new M3s, incl auto, are pigs and too many produced.

There's probably less iX's in the US than M3's, and far less mtechs.
          They look like any other regular 3 series with small add-on's.
          88 M3
          85 190e-16v Euro
          86 ae86 Trueno Itb's
          63 Lotus 7 repl Turbo
          93 500E

Comment

When engine/tranny are selling for 7k+ there was alot of value in the parts on this I suppose. It makes 'some' sense. 18k is still a bit stiff.

When you look at what it would take to get this car back on the road and in condition comparable to what a 25-30k car is today, thats when it looks cuckoo.

Comment

Very few E30 M3 related sales make sense to many people but guess what? It made sense to someone out there or we wouldn't be having this discussion. Perhaps someone in the business bought it or someone who knows bodywork. When they are done it will be worth what they put into it and then some, so it depends on your perspective.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Oh man, the ignorance is strong in this post.
                Current:
                1989 325i
                1988 M3
                1987 325ic
                Past:
                2001 330ci
                2001 M3

Comment

1K haha

Comment

I bought an E30 M3 once for $2,500 with a spun rod bearing and a smashed fender. Engine was partially torn apart. I thought I did well by parting it for $10k and selling the shell for what I paid for the whole car. Looking back, I should have thrown it in a storage unit and fixed it later when I had the money, but I borrowed the $2,500 to buy it knowing I could recoup the cash quickly. I was broke and in college just trying to scratch out rent at 20 years of age... that was 12 years ago. Boy how things have changed now!!
                    '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
                    '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
                    '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
                    iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
                    sigpic

Comment

^ Hindsight. It has its way with all of us.
                      I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

I said I would only pay about $1k for it because I was thinking about the amount of money you'd need to pour into it to make it right again. I was not thinking of the value of the parts because I would never think of parting out an E30 M3, but you have to consider that most the parts on this one are completely shot. The engine probably needs a full rebuild and I suppose you could salvage some of the body parts like the bumpers, but most need so much reconditioning to the point it wouldn't be worth it to use them.

I stated the E30 M3's value is not due to rarity, at least on it's own, because some others in this thread implied that. Yes, actually I do know why the E30 M3 is worth so much. There's no ignorance here. We all know everyone jizzed thinking about one when they were young. Now they're older and have money to spend so why not buy their childhood dream? Then there's the consumer whores who want one just because everyone else does and it's worth a lot and the crooks who see the value going up so they want to buy one so they can sell it for more. Obviously there's lots of reasons, so let's not argue. :)
                        Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                          $1K? really? Okay, the reality is...the suspension alone is worth twice that. The bumpers alone are worth $1k and have been for a while now. 5000 imported from 88-91...25+ years ago which is a long time for a "race" car to survive compared to what? 500,000 318/325's? .
                          I just wanted to correct you on one of your figures... only because I get upset when people discredit the 318 (late model variants). The 318iS's from 91 are somewhat rare actually.

A total of 9,779 examples were built: 8,837 for the USA and 942 for Canada. However, there were roughly 30,000 additional examples produced for other worldwide markets.
                          - Alex Palevsky BMW M Registry

And who knows how many are left on the road today...

I had to look up these numbers in order to get classic car coverage on my 318iS.
                          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                            $1k? Really? Okay, the reality is...the suspension alone is worth twice that. The bumpers alone are worth $1k and have been for a while now. 5000 imported from 88-91...25+ years ago which is a long time for a "race" car to survive compared to what? 500,000 318/325's? . Many have been totaled over the years. It is estimated that there are roughly 2500 left and only a few rare m3's are being imported but many more are being exported. Lot's of us spec m3's are finding their way into other countries overseas for a variety of reasons (clean cars, salvage/junk titles, favorable currency exchange rate).

You're right though, it's not only about rarity...a car has to be desirable too. It is the first m3, the one they keep comparing all other m cars to. It's a historically significant car whether you like it or not so it's quite easy to see how it would become very collectible. Full m techs are so rare, many just don't know about them but even so they are just a luxury trim and performance (upgraded suspension/bodykit) package on a 325ic.
                            very well said!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                              I just wanted to correct you on one of your figures... only because I get upset when people discredit the 318 (late model variants). The 318iS's from 91 are somewhat rare actually.

- Alex Palevsky BMW M Registry

And who knows how many are left on the road today...

I had to look up these numbers in order to get classic car coverage on my 318iS.
                              Oh boy...
                              I discredited the 318iS by including them with the rest of the 318/325's? Hmmm that's what it is...a 318.
                              318iS are cool but...

okay so 500,000-9,000 = 491,000. I think u missed my point though.
                              Last edited by reelizmpro; 01-27-2015, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I'm just defending the 318is like you're defending the M3. It was a special car that was made in limited quantities... But this is totally o/t and silly.
                                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Working...
                                X