New Head Gasket Damaged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Head Gasket Damaged?

Gearing up to do a head gasket job to stop the exxon-valdez oil leak my '90 325i has between the head and the block. Ordered a new OEM head gasket kit from FCP but it looks like the head gasket may have sustained some damage during shipping.

First picture shows how it looked without opening anything, notice the nicks in the plastic. So I took the head gasket out of the outer plastic and opened up the tears a little bit to get a better look and it looks like the metal part of the gasket is actually a little chipped.

Just curious what people's thoughts are on this, not a big deal because the head will clamp down so hard it won't be an issue? Definitely a problem and I should get FCP to send me another?

I know head gaskets can be more finicky on these M20's than other motors and I'd rather do this job only once.

Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dHJefNwJF8zIjtIl2

I would not use that.

That's a critical sealing spot, and it looks like the ring is pre- crushed.
    Which means that when the head tries to seal against it, it has a
    very real chance of not sealing and letting combustion pressure out, and that never ends well.

t
    who has used Reinz...
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      I would not use that.

That's a critical sealing spot, and it looks like the ring is pre- crushed.
      Which means that when the head tries to seal against it, it has a
      very real chance of not sealing and letting combustion pressure out, and that never ends well.

t
      who has used Reinz...
      Looked to me like a compressible point too. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being overly anal about this. Most of my work up to this point has been on old Volvos which could run without a head gasket and an engine full of cooking oil.

Comment

Coool, got another set shipped to me and it has the same damage...almost seems like the way BMW packages these gasket kits puts the head gasket at risk from getting damaged by the gaskets in front of it, especially those heavy exhaust gaskets.

Emailed FCP my thoughts, we'll see what comes of this, or if I end up going to the dealer for this shtuff.

Comment

Maybe get a Goetze if available for M20s, always seemed better than VR, which will undoubtedly work on at least the second try.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            Maybe get a Goetze if available for M20s, always seemed better than VR, which will undoubtedly work on at least the second try.
            Been getting OE, I can understand Goetze over VR, but any reason to go with Goetze over OE?

Comment

Originally posted by muppetman342 View Post

I know head gaskets can be more finicky on these M20's than other motors and I'd rather do this job only once.
              I dunno where this comes from. If a head gasket is installed correctly, both surfaces are cleaned properly and flat,and proper bolt tension is done a head gasket should last another 30 years. I did an overhaul on my m20 after it dropped a valve, im about 30,000km in on a Victor reigns gasket, no issues to report and i don't expect any issues for another 30yrs....

I would not use that gasket on any motor, m20 or not. The gasket needs to be perfect, 100% brand new perfect - treat it like gold until it goes on - perfect.
              Last edited by e30davie; 06-11-2018, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muppetman342 View Post
                Been getting OE, I can understand Goetze over VR, but any reason to go with Goetze over OE?
                Basically, VR, Elring and Goetze all might have been OE mfrs of BMW head gaskets over the years, but the aftermarket stuff they sell is of a totally different quality (and might not actually be made by any of them in any case).

VR does deservedly get a bad rap, they make low buck stuff at a low buck price point.

If it were my money I'd go with a reputable aftermarket brand over OE as I see see no added cost/benefit to going OE at often 2x the price.

Comment

Working...
                X