No announcement yet.

E30 V8 Swap dilema: M60B40 or M62B44 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, it is at least very arid in that southwest part of the island. I've been down that way a couple times. the wind blows in strongly from the southwest. my roommate's family lived(maybe still do) across the street from the Tenerife north airport where those 2 747's crashed into each other.
    Last edited by flyboyx; 04-10-2018, 09:45 AM.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      well, it is at least very arid in that southwest part of the island. I've been down that way a couple times. the wind blows in strongly from the southwest. my roommate's family lived(maybe still do) across the street from the Tenerife north airport where those 2 747's crashed into each other.
      Don't scare me mate!!! hehe

I'll send you a close up shot when she arrives. If you never hear from me again it's because I bought a Lemon!

Comment

Kassel Performance Recommendation

Hello lads

Been emailing the good people from Kassel Performance about electrical work and DME programming for the SWAP if needed, and explained the situation.

As mentioned I have found 3 decent candidates for a donor car. M60, M62 and M62TU.

When mentioning this, they pretty much replied: Go for the M62TU. It's the most modern engine and easy for them electronically speaking.

They say they can prepare a plug and play wiring loom and reprogram the DME for just under 1000k. A little pricey in my opinion...

Not sure what you guys think of this? I heard the M62TU is a complicated engine to Swap.... Something about the water cooled alternator if I remember correctly? Not to mention VANOS problems etc etc. Throttle by wire they give plug and play solution in their harness.

Would love to hear your opinion. The threads Pole is pretty much even, 7 in favour of the M60, 6 in favour of the M62...

Thanks all for your help, have a good weekend and drive safe.

Comment

While the m62TU is the most advanced, theres a reason no one does this swap. Far more elements that complicate the swap over an m60. If you wanna do that engine, it'd be sweet to follow a thread about it, and you'd have something pretty cool ad unique, but the m60 will definitely be a easier to do and 300hp is damn plenty in an e30.
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
            While the m62TU is the most advanced, theres a reason no one does this swap. Far more elements that complicate the swap over an m60. If you wanna do that engine, it'd be sweet to follow a thread about it, and you'd have something pretty cool ad unique, but the m60 will definitely be a easier to do and 300hp is damn plenty in an e30.
            I thank you for your reply mate

After driving the car around for a few days I think that the M60 will be plenty enough! Plus you are right, the extra complications will be may above my level of expertise so to speak...

I was trying to decide between going boosterless or not and after having a word with my father and also loving the feel of the original pedals (I understand that going boosterless means Wilwood pedals etc etc) I think I'll be going the way of the booster relocation, maintaining the ABS also.

Suspension wise I have been looking around also and I think I have settled for the KW V1 coilovers.

For now that is about all I am going to spoil you with! hehe
            I'll be glad to hear any pros and cons of either the boosterless path or relocation pass as well as suspension setup.

And to keep to my promise I leave you a few pick of the car in the next post!

Comment

Car arrived

Well hello all

The car finally arrived in Barcelona and I went to pick it up on Tuesday afternoon and drove it back on the boat to Mallorca, and it made it!

I can confirm there is close to no rust on the car, a few patches underneath close to the lifting pivots but that is about it, and a bit of patchwork on the rear inferior bumper, so I'm happy with the purchase.

However the car seems to have been painted with a toilet brush!! Some terrible paintwork. My main concern was a good chasis, and I think that part has been covered.

Here are some photos from when I parked it here close to home and when it was deposited in the Barcelona port. If you would like to see some more in detail photos be sure to ask. I will probably start a new thread with the project, how does that sound?

Car steers like a boat by the way, suspension is pretty shot and the arms need replacing also so to be expected. It's a Project Car so lets just say its part of the fun!!

Have a good weekend all, drive safe,
              Jake

Last edited by judgefargo; 04-23-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I'd go the remote booster route. I have the install fully documented on this forum. If I had to do it again, now that I figured out how to relocate the clutch master after some trial and error, I could do it in a day. I bolted it in 6 years/40k miles ago, and haven't touched it since. My brakes feel 100% stock, there is no way to tell I modified the brake system at all while driving the car. There is no maintenance required, and none of the linkage parts ever fail - it's all quality OEM stuff.
                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                  I'd go the remote booster route. I have the install fully documented on this forum. If I had to do it again, now that I figured out how to relocate the clutch master after some trial and error, I could do it in a day. I bolted it in 6 years/40k miles ago, and haven't touched it since. My brakes feel 100% stock, there is no way to tell I modified the brake system at all while driving the car. There is no maintenance required, and none of the linkage parts ever fail - it's all quality OEM stuff.
                  Thanks mate, I will check out your posts now and see how you did it. I am most probably going to go the booster relocation route.

A friend of mine that knows quite a bit about E30s has recommended instead of buying a whole donor car, just looking for the engine with manual transmission and all electronics and cables.

It may be a wise idea, not sure. I am scouting the net for any complete engine and manual 6 speed transmission combos.

Lets see what pops up, going to pass the MOT tomorrow with the old girl, fingers crossed!!

Comment

I would not bother with the M62TU, and go with either M60B40, M62B44 or the M62 bottom end with M60B40 heads personally, you'll be happy with either B40 or B44.

This has all been covered many times over on the reasons behind M60B40 timing components being more reliable than M62B44 / M62TU.

As far as brakes, personally if I was going to do it all over again I would either go with remote booster setup so you have the same feeling and power of the OEM brakes OR go with the remote booster setup under the dash/glovebox area OR floormounted pedalbox ...the last option would be the garagistic/wilwood combination as it's the most difficult one to adjust / service.
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                      I would not bother with the M62TU, and go with either M60B40, M62B44 or the M62 bottom end with M60B40 heads personally, you'll be happy with either B40 or B44.

This has all been covered many times over on the reasons behind M60B40 timing components being more reliable than M62B44 / M62TU.

As far as brakes, personally if I was going to do it all over again I would either go with remote booster setup so you have the same feeling and power of the OEM brakes OR go with the remote booster setup under the dash/glovebox area OR floormounted pedalbox ...the last option would be the garagistic/wilwood combination as it's the most difficult one to adjust / service.
                      Thank you Jean for your reply

I have pretty much decided on the M60B40 and am sourcing the donor car. I think I will buy a whole car just in case, for I get the feeling I will be using more components than the ones I think, also the remaining ones I can always sell off on ebay if needed to get some money back. They sell for around 2000€ here is Spain. That would be a 740i with 200k plus kms.

Regarding brake setup, I will be going the route of the E34 relocation. I have seen on the 300mm.de webpage they have kits to adapt this system with good explanation on how to install, so will man up and try to implement this system.

Lets see what pops up, pretty much wrapped this thread up thanks to you all!!

Comment

Working...
                      X