1990 Diamantschwarz 325IX 4dr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removed
    Last edited by notanawdix80; 05-30-2019, 07:00 AM.

Comment

When you use regular 325i subframe and diff bushings, what changes?
      Do you need to readjust the height? I never understood this fully
      1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
      1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

removed

Comment

removed

Comment

Looks great! I can't imagine there's a whole lot of E30s, much less IX's, in Argentina!

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
            When you use regular 325i subframe and diff bushings, what changes?
            Do you need to readjust the height? I never understood this fully
            OK, think about it like this - the subframe is part of the body of the car. Lower the car, and you gain negative camber (due to the slight angle between the trailing arms and subframe). Raise the subframe up, and you lose some camber (just like if you raised the car back up a bit).

Using shorter bushings raises the subframe relative to the car. The ix subframe itself is the same - it only has a different part # because it comes with ix-specific bushings pressed in.

Basically the RWD subframe bushings are good for a bit less than 1/2 degree of negative camber on an IX - enough to take you from bad inner tire wear, to acceptable. Plus many of the aftermarket adjustment kits are prone to slipping (Kmac) or effective but a pain to install (IE).

I discovered this back in the day 100% by accident (16 years ago! fuuu!!!) - since I installed IE subframe bushings, which are of course RWD height. I don't think I even realized the difference for at least 5 years after that.

BTW, I still have those bushings... IE has gotten heck for lots of things, but those are still good as new. In fact I tried to replace them once but they were stuck in there, and they were still fine - so Eff it..

oh, you also have to account for the diff bushing - the ix bushing is offset to account for the extra height of the IX subframe bushings. In my case, I got an E36 M-coupe diff cover back when you could buy them on grocery store janitor wages, which matches the height of the RWD bushings. Otherwise, there's potential to have pinion angle issues - although I have never had a problem and my IX has 280,000 billion mile now..
            Last edited by nando; 11-20-2018, 11:16 PM.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

removed

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                Looks great! I can't imagine there's a whole lot of E30s, much less IX's, in Argentina!

OK, think about it like this - the subframe is part of the body of the car. Lower the car, and you gain negative camber (due to the slight angle between the trailing arms and subframe). Raise the subframe up, and you lose some camber (just like if you raised the car back up a bit).

Using shorter bushings raises the subframe relative to the car. The ix subframe itself is the same - it only has a different part # because it comes with ix-specific bushings pressed in.

Basically the RWD subframe bushings are good for a bit less than 1/2 degree of negative camber on an IX - enough to take you from bad inner tire wear, to acceptable. Plus many of the aftermarket adjustment kits are prone to slipping (Kmac) or effective but a pain to install (IE).

I discovered this back in the day 100% by accident (16 years ago! fuuu!!!) - since I installed IE subframe bushings, which are of course RWD height. I don't think I even realized the difference for at least 5 years after that.

BTW, I still have those bushings... IE has gotten heck for lots of things, but those are still good as new. In fact I tried to replace them once but they were stuck in there, and they were still fine - so Eff it..

oh, you also have to account for the diff bushing - the ix bushing is offset to account for the extra height of the IX subframe bushings. In my case, I got an E36 M-coupe diff cover back when you could buy them on grocery store janitor wages, which matches the height of the RWD bushings. Otherwise, there's potential to have pinion angle issues - although I have never had a problem and my IX has 280,000 billion mile now..
                Cool thanks, I should have a look how much camber mine has since I just had my front wheels realigned.
                I am using stock springs though, might not be interesting to use regular 325i bushings?

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

yeah, don't do that - you'll end up with the opposite problem, no or positive camber and toe out - not good in the rear.

you could still use RWD bushings but you would have to add a spacer so the subframe is in the right location for stock IX springs.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

removed
                    Last edited by notanawdix80; 05-30-2019, 07:01 AM.

Comment

removed

Comment

Good news is new fuel tanks are actually pretty cheap. Bad news is the job is of course a total pain in the ass.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I also replaced my original fuel tank with an atfermarket one.
                          I think I paid somewhere around 180€? Definitly a lot better than the 1k BMW ask for their OEM tanks..

Removal and fitting of the tank isn't that bad actually.. Luckily you can do it with the subframe still fitted on the car.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

removed

Comment

removed

Comment

removed

Comment

Working...
                                X