Let's talk about anarchy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk about anarchy!

decay, I'm interested in what you're definition, perception, ideal of anarchy is.

From all my research on the etymology of the word and movements surrounding it, it doesn't seem to mesh with most of the views you espouse.

Please enlighten this dumb redneck.
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

i'm waiting for a train down to SoCal to pick up the Baur.

will compose thoughts en route.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Oh Jesus here we go.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

In for shitstorm.
        Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
        Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
        Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

can y'all at least give me a chance to discuss this rationally? Jesus.
          past:
          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
          1985 323i baur
          current:

Comment

Anarchists are just people that didnt get hugs from their parents, dont understand how the world works, and seek attention

Comment

I remember this story about some high school kid that wanted to start an anarchy club at her school. The school wouldn't let her, so she took it to court.

Anarchists are so fucking dumb.
              My Feedback

Comment

ok, premise: we all understand what a failed nation-state looks like, right? example- somalia.

failed or failing cities are emerging in our country. oakland, where i live, is one of the latter. so is chicago. detroit falls under the former, i think.

as surprising at it may seem, given my admittedly radical views and activism, i've recently been friends/in a relationship with a police officer in my city. the stories she tells me about her work remind me of my deployment- they do have the budget for body cams, and i've seen her POV in firefights. she complains a lot about lack of budget to maintain their vehicles, get new hires through the academy, etc.

given that property values (and the taxes derived from them) in the bay area are through the roof lately, i think it's pretty inexcusable for this to be the case. it's indicative of complete failure at the city/county/state level to properly manage a budget that allows the fulfillment of america's social contract- pay your taxes, and we'll keep you safe.

oakland's solution for this is anarcho-communism. within walking distance of my house, you can find more than one front-yard kitchen serving barbecue or tacos, and if you can drop $5-10 in the jar to contribute, great, but if you're homeless and hungry, they'll feed you (because we recognize that two tacos are cheaper than a broken car window). we've got an unsteady relationship with gangs in this city, but the reality is that sometimes they're the only security available to poor neighborhoods that the police don't tend to go to unless they get called there.

i'm an anarchist because it's plainly evident to me that our existing model of government does not scale to our country's size, and the emergence of sustainable/green solutions for the home mean that a decentralized system of smaller self-governed communities is becoming more possible with every passing year- and community apps like nextdoor are helping us learn to live in a more "neighborhood tribe" way.

i do realize that my ideal is unlikely to come to full fruition, but i am still proud to live somewhere that's at least trying to be a prototype.
                past:
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:

Comment

I can get behind a lot of what you're saying because I see the failures too. Thankfully, not as much around where I live but still, I'm not blind to the issues.

It's funny, I wasn't crazy about nextdoor, I signed up, forgot about it. I'd check it every month or so, then just forgot about it completely but still get email notifications. Just last night I looked at what's going on in my "neighborhood" for the first time in a long time. The sense of community is more alive than I gave it credit for, and it seems to be more than just lost/found dog postings lately. Of course, I'm still behind on my building a castle/compound/house/security measures and it reminded me that the burglars are out and about even in this heat.
                  Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                    Oh Jesus here we go.
                    Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                    In for shitstorm.
                    Originally posted by Mediumrarechicken View Post
                    Anarchists are just people that didnt get hugs from their parents, dont understand how the world works, and seek attention
                    Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                    I remember this story about some high school kid that wanted to start an anarchy club at her school. The school wouldn't let her, so she took it to court.

Anarchists are so fucking dumb.
                    Way to want to engage in a rational debate.

Originally posted by decay View Post
                    ok, premise: we all understand what a failed nation-state looks like, right? example- somalia.

failed or failing cities are emerging in our country. oakland, where i live, is one of the latter. so is chicago. detroit falls under the former, i think.

as surprising at it may seem, given my admittedly radical views and activism, i've recently been friends/in a relationship with a police officer in my city. the stories she tells me about her work remind me of my deployment- they do have the budget for body cams, and i've seen her POV in firefights. she complains a lot about lack of budget to maintain their vehicles, get new hires through the academy, etc.

given that property values (and the taxes derived from them) in the bay area are through the roof lately, i think it's pretty inexcusable for this to be the case. it's indicative of complete failure at the city/county/state level to properly manage a budget that allows the fulfillment of america's social contract- pay your taxes, and we'll keep you safe.

oakland's solution for this is anarcho-communism. within walking distance of my house, you can find more than one front-yard kitchen serving barbecue or tacos, and if you can drop $5-10 in the jar to contribute, great, but if you're homeless and hungry, they'll feed you (because we recognize that two tacos are cheaper than a broken car window). we've got an unsteady relationship with gangs in this city, but the reality is that sometimes they're the only security available to poor neighborhoods that the police don't tend to go to unless they get called there.

i'm an anarchist because it's plainly evident to me that our existing model of government does not scale to our country's size, and the emergence of sustainable/green solutions for the home mean that a decentralized system of smaller self-governed communities is becoming more possible with every passing year- and community apps like nextdoor are helping us learn to live in a more "neighborhood tribe" way.

i do realize that my ideal is unlikely to come to full fruition, but i am still proud to live somewhere that's at least trying to be a prototype.
                    Excellent, thanks for the insight. I agree a lot with what you're getting at. I grew up "poor," ie, divorced parents in a poor red state and grew up living in a trailer park. But we still had food, a roof, etc. I started work the day I turned 16, etc.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                    I can get behind a lot of what you're saying because I see the failures too. Thankfully, not as much around where I live but still, I'm not blind to the issues.

It's funny, I wasn't crazy about nextdoor, I signed up, forgot about it. I'd check it every month or so, then just forgot about it completely but still get email notifications. Just last night I looked at what's going on in my "neighborhood" for the first time in a long time. The sense of community is more alive than I gave it credit for, and it seems to be more than just lost/found dog postings lately. Of course, I'm still behind on my building a castle/compound/house/security measures and it reminded me that the burglars are out and about even in this heat.
                    Agreed. I understand but I can't really identify with it anymore like when I was young.

decay, as I said, I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but like I tell some of my ultra-liberal friends:

"Hey, you've got some great ideas and goals, and many people would likely agree with your cause. But when you scream in their face, tell them they are a c--- if they disagree because you can't sell yourself without threats, you discredit your whole movement."

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                      decay, as I said, I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but like I tell some of my ultra-liberal friends:

"Hey, you've got some great ideas and goals, and many people would likely agree with your cause. But when you scream in their face, tell them they are a c--- if they disagree because you can't sell yourself without threats, you discredit your whole movement."
                      i'm trying. but the first four posts you quoted are illustrative as to why it's not always easy to keep my temper in check.
                      past:
                      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                      1985 323i baur
                      current:

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                        Way to want to engage in a rational debate.

Excellent, thanks for the insight. I agree a lot with what you're getting at. I grew up "poor," ie, divorced parents in a poor red state and grew up living in a trailer park. But we still had food, a roof, etc. I started work the day I turned 16, etc.

Agreed. I understand but I can't really identify with it anymore like when I was young.

I was rational. The anarchists up here are just a bunch of dumbasses that get together on May day and break windows, light things on fire and scare everyone in downtown Seattle. They just want to cause trouble. YouTube may day Seattle and tell me what you think of these people.

Comment

I was rational. The anarchists up here are just a bunch of dumbasses that get together on May day and break windows, light things on fire and scare everyone in downtown Seattle. They just want to cause trouble. YouTube may day Seattle and tell me what you think of these people.
                          in much the same way, that idiot Ted Nugent is not representative of libertarianism.

we have the same problems here in oakland.

i don't have a problem with black bloc tactics, where they are called for, but the idiots who assault or property-damage local business owners need a swift kick in the ass, and directions to the nearest BofA/Chase branch.
                          past:
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:

Comment

The "Antifa" are not anarchists. They are"Anti-Fascist" Fascists. They are also cowards, that's why they cover their faces and act like petulant children.

I didn't start this thread to bait decay, I started to have an honest debate. So be an adult and offer poignant, intelligent positions you can defend with facts. Don't do the Fox News hyperbole BS.

I'm genuinely open to new ideas and solutions.
                            Last edited by z31maniac; 06-16-2017, 12:04 PM.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

I would run for office in my state. But in OK, regardless of how many people agreed with me, they would never elect me because:

1. I don't have children.
                              2. I don't attend church.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X