No announcement yet.

Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the 405 in Seattle is worse than the 405 in LA... HA!
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
      I'm actually curious about this sentiment. Parts Unknown didn't seem that dissimilar to No Reservations or a Cook's Tour.

Hell he even went back to the same spots to visit and eat with the same people on Parts Unknown as he did on No Reservations.

He did do a bit more commentary on social/political issues, but I found that 99% of the time, I agreed with the guy on just about everything.

It reminds me I need to quit spending money on bullshit and get back to getting stamps on my passport. Japan, S. Korea, and Thailand are at the top of the list.

EDIT: I really regret not taking some of my severance money when I was laid off 3 years ago and not just going somewhere for a week. I came supremely close to buying a ticket to Tokyo. I shouldn't have been such a scared little bitch and just gone.
      No need to regret when you can just fucking do it!

Just got back from traveling Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Kobé) for the past couple weeks after backpacking SE Asia (Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand) and wouldn’t take it back for the world. I have less money than you for sure and still made it a priority to experience it no excuses my friend.

To a lot of you that had to fuck up a memorial thread w your gentrification woes. Let me ask you this, what would you of done if you were in our shoes? Sina (freeride) and I both grew up in a world of this bullshit and made the most of it. We flocked to where the job market is and now ya’ll blame our generation for messing it up? Do you guys just expect us to graduate with these degrees and die so you guys can grab our salaries and standard of living. We worked for it just as every other generation did, yet we get blamed for no fucking reason.

Call us hipsters or millenials, but we were born in this era and are making the most of it while respecting future and past generations. So maybe take a look in the mirror before blaming our liberal snowflake fucktard generation cuz we’re doing the best we can with what we got. /rant

- Ami

Comment

+kronus for adding some perspective to these bitters. A lot of us didn’t choose to grow up in the bay area, yet we did. And with that came 1st gen immigrant parents, competitive ass schools, and high expectations. Like I said before, we milked the shit w what we had and made the most of it.

‘Adapt or die’ - brad pitt; fight club.

Comment

Originally posted by RUFFLZ View Post
          No need to regret when you can just fucking do it!

Just got back from traveling Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Kobé) for the past couple weeks after backpacking SE Asia (Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand) and wouldn’t take it back for the world. I have less money than you for sure and still made it a priority to experience it no excuses my friend.

To a lot of you that had to fuck up a memorial thread w your gentrification woes. Let me ask you this, what would you of done if you were in our shoes? Sina (freeride) and I both grew up in a world of this bullshit and made the most of it. We flocked to where the job market is and now ya’ll blame our generation for messing it up? Do you guys just expect us to graduate with these degrees and die so you guys can grab our salaries and standard of living. We worked for it just as every other generation did, yet we get blamed for no fucking reason.

Call us hipsters or millenials, but we were born in this era and are making the most of it while respecting future and past generations. So maybe take a look in the mirror before blaming our liberal snowflake fucktard generation cuz we’re doing the best we can with what we got. /rant

- Ami
          Originally posted by RUFFLZ View Post
          +kronus for adding some perspective to these bitters. A lot of us didn’t choose to grow up in the bay area, yet we did. And with that came 1st gen immigrant parents, competitive ass schools, and high expectations. Like I said before, we milked the shit w what we had and made the most of it.

‘Adapt or die’ - brad pitt; fight club.

Wow, you took this personally..

And you're talking about fucking up a memorial thread, yet here you are writing paragraphs about yourself..

Also, "hipster" is not some blanket term for people in their mid twenties
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
            Hipster's are the demographic of people that get a boner when you say "Seattle"
            I have no idea where you heard this, but it says more about you than about hipsters.
            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
              I have no idea where you heard this, but it says more about you than about hipsters.
              You're going to judge my character on something so trivial?

That's exactly what a hipster would do...

Anyways, I'll leave this here

https://youtu.be/u5tQtQl6Iyk

RIP Anthony Bourdain
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                and the cost of living up there is just as much as it is down here..
                Can confirm. Seattle is both a hipsters paradise, and home prices have doubled in the last 8-10 year, and moving up. It's not stopping. It's quite the conundrum. It's almost EXACTLY like SF in the 90's.
                Last edited by george graves; 06-16-2018, 03:20 AM.
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                  Can confirm. Seattle is both a hipsters paradise, and home prices have doubled in the last 8-10 year, and moving up. It's not stopping. It's quite the conundrum. It's almost EXACTLY like SF in the 90's.
                  Liberal hipsters everywhere in seattle. I loathe going to seattle, it's full of people that try so hard to be a hipster, but they are all the same. Kinda ironic, and they dont see it. They really are mindless idiots, but they do make some amazing food and beer. Food and beer are the only reasons to go into that shithole

Comment

then you should buy some real estate there, *now*.
                    past:
                    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:
                    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by Mediumrarechicken View Post
                      Liberal hipsters everywhere in seattle. I loathe going to seattle, it's full of people that try so hard to be a hipster, but they are all the same. Kinda ironic, and they dont see it. They really are mindless idiots, but they do make some amazing food and beer. Food and beer are the only reasons to go into that shithole
                      Wow - you might be going to the wrong spots! (But I agree with most of what you said - let ALL BE UNIQUE.....Oh, and copy one another to a "T". Tats, check. Beard, check. Unwashed hair and clothes? Check!

Originally posted by decay View Post
                      then you should buy some real estate there, *now*.
                      No, you should have bought it 10 years ago. :pimp:
                      Last edited by george graves; 06-17-2018, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Considering there's little to no chance of things going south anytime soon, there's really no time better than the present.
                        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                          Considering there's little to no chance of things going south anytime soon, there's really no time better than the present.
                          Amazon, Boeing, US Navy/Army and Microsoft would need to go out of business for that to happen. So yea, you might be right. ;D

Comment

Wow - you might be going to the wrong spots! (But I agree with most of what you said - let ALL BE UNIQUE.....Oh, and copy one another to a "T". Tats, check. Beard, check. Unwashed hair and clothes? Check!

Amazon, Boeing, US Navy/Army and Microsoft would need to go out of business for that to happen. So yea, you might be right. ;D
                            I just looked around Amazon or Microsoft would come the closest to making up the income gap (still end up spending a larger % of your income on housing), but I think my NDA/Non-Compete means I couldn't go to work for Amazon.
                            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I was using a pretty broad brush of generalization. But the ratio of hipsters to normal people is high. I get a laugh out of the I look like a lumberjack from the 1920's but my testosterone levels are too low to even swing an axe, let alone pick it up

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                                I just looked around Amazon or Microsoft would come the closest to making up the income gap (still end up spending a larger % of your income on housing), but I think my NDA/Non-Compete means I couldn't go to work for Amazon.
                                a friend who worked devops at amazon tells me it's *not* a good place to work, even at the engineer level.
                                past:
                                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                                1985 323i baur
                                current:
                                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Working...
                                X