Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibration Damper: OBD1 vs. OBD2

Searched, couldnt find anything.

M52, converted to OBD1, using OBD1 front timing cover.

I believe i have both OBD1 and OBD2 vibration dampers/cps trigger wheels. Though when I look in realoem, it lists the same damper for a '93 325i through a '99 M3. And that part number doesnt match either number on the dampers I have.

The dampers have the missing teeth in different locations. Also the dimples on the front face of the dampers are also in different locations. Although I'm not sure those are used for anything.

Hope this rambling makes sense. Anyone run into this dilemma before?

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
    You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

did you use the obd1 timing cover for the coolant return nub on the back?
    1991 e30 328i M52 swapped: Gone
    1995 e34 540i/6 1 of 76 Clean
    1985 e28 euro 525i the daily

Comment

Maybe this helps?

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Its not really the same exact procedure. There is a little more involved with the M52 motors (well depending on what year). The vibration damper on the M52 motors can be different then the M50, S50, and S52. Some M52 vibration dampers doesnt have the "teeth" that the OBD1 crank shaft sensor needs. Although the S52 motors doesn't come with a crank shaft sensor on the front, the vibration damper is the same / similar enough to the S50 motor. And because the crank pully can be different on the M52, the M52 belts dont line up. In order for the M52 swap to be done, the vibration damper, the oil filter housing, and all the other pullies may need to be swaped so the belts of the M50/S50/s52 can be used, as well as the OBD1 crank shaft sensor. I hope this makes sense. I cant remember which year of the M52s have the different vibration damper, but the M52 I have was one of those with the differnt damper. Wasn't hard to swap out, but something to look out for.
        Is this info confirmed as it relates to swapping a m52 to obd1. I have read tons of OBD1 conversion how to and non mentioned swapping the harmonic dampener or obd1 oil filter housing.

Comment

Doesn't seem that way, like you said.

From realoem:

01 Vibration damper UP TO 09/1998 11231738620 $660.37 +core

Part 11231738620 (Vibration damper) was found on the following E36 vehicles:

E36 320i Sedan, M50, AUTO (CB23) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 320i Sedan, M50, MANUAL (CB13) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 323i Convertible, M52, AUTO (BJ83) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 323i Convertible, M52, MANUAL (BJ73) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 323i Coupe, M52, AUTO (BF83) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 323i Coupe, M52, MANUAL (BF73) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 325i Convertible, M50, AUTO (BJ63) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 325i Convertible, M50, MANUAL (BJ53) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 325i Sedan, M50, AUTO (CB43) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 325i Sedan, M50, MANUAL (CB33) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 325is Coupe, M50, AUTO (BF43) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 325is Coupe, M50, MANUAL (BF33) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 328i Convertible, M52, AUTO (BK83) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 328i Convertible, M52, MANUAL (BK73) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 328i Coupe, M52, AUTO (BG23) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 328i Coupe, M52, MANUAL (BG13) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 328i Sedan, M52, AUTO (CD43) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 328i Sedan, M52, AUTO (CD23) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 328i Sedan, M52, MANUAL (CD33) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 328i Sedan, M52, MANUAL (CD13) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 M3 Convertible, S52, AUTO (BK03) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 M3 Convertible, S52, MANUAL (BK93) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 M3 Coupe, S50, AUTO (BF03) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 M3 Coupe, S52, MANUAL (BG93) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 M3 Coupe, S50, MANUAL (BF93) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 M3 Sedan, S52, AUTO (CD03) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper
          E36 M3 Sedan, S52, MANUAL (CD93) : Belt Drive-Vibration Damper

Comment

went to the garage to inspect. Low light and cell phone cam but its a m50 motor 0bd1 and a m52 obd2.

Comment

I'm not seeing any real difference. Teeth look like they are set up the same way, with the missing teeth in the same spot (although it's hard to tell since they are turned relative to each other in your pic). The slope of the mounting surface of the only difference I see.

Comment

Exactly. although if you look at the 7th hole ( the tiny one for lining up the dampener correctly) you can see the missing teeth are in the same position.

Looking at it further when laid on a even surface the height of the m52 is about a 1/16 taller then then the m50. All in all I know I will be using the m52 one.

I am however wanting to use the obd1 oil filter housing as the metal top seems to be a better design then the plastic top. This however is going to force me to use the corresponding power steering pump because thr mounting point is different for both.

Comment

Originally posted by mightywhitey View Post
                  Exactly. although if you look at the 7th hole ( the tiny one for lining up the dampener correctly) you can see the missing teeth are in the same position.

Looking at it further when laid on a even surface the height of the m52 is about a 1/16 taller then then the m50. All in all I know I will be using the m52 one.

I am however wanting to use the obd1 oil filter housing as the metal top seems to be a better design then the plastic top. This however is going to force me to use the corresponding power steering pump because thr mounting point is different for both.
                  The s52 oil filter housing has a metal top.

Comment

good call.

Comment

did you use the obd1 timing cover for the coolant return nub on the back?
                      Yes.

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                      Good info and my situation confirms there are different dampers throughout the m52 range.

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                      I'm not seeing any real difference. Teeth look like they are set up the same way, with the missing teeth in the same spot (although it's hard to tell since they are turned relative to each other in your pic). The slope of the mounting surface of the only difference I see.
                      Mine have the missing teeth in a different location. Will snap a pic when i get home. I'll also measure from the mounting surface to the belt location to confirm that as well.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                      You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

If the missing teeth are in a different location, you may have an M50 (non vanos) timing wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                          If the missing teeth are in a different location, you may have an M50 (non vanos) timing wheel.
                          ^This^

The Non-vanos harmonic balancer has different teeth spacing. AFAIK all the later VANOS OBDI and OBDII are the same or will work the same at least. If you use a NV balancer on a VANOS motor your shit won't start.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

If you have a non vanos one and need a m50 vanos one you can have mine just pay shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                              So which one is which? Well I guess according to the picture above, the one with the gap at 7:30 is the vanos wheel?

If you have a non vanos one and need a m50 vanos one you can have mine just pay shipping.
                              Thanks for the offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X