S50 wierd noise. Help Diagnose (vid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 wierd noise. Help Diagnose (vid)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I am putting this on all forums only because I am desperate and want someone to help me find the problem.

The way the motor sounds in the video is how it sounds in person.

Sounds like it could be the lifters to me. I'm not sure at what point it becomes an issue, I have some ticking at the track and it sounds like it's pretty normal with these issues. Yours is ticking a lot more then mine does though.

Comment

these cars have hydraulic lifter, i don't think they'd make that much noise. Sounds like your vanos is shot.

Comment

Sounds like you bent the valves by over rev.. or mist shifting.
        Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by balooshinakus View Post
          Sounds like it could be the lifters to me. I'm not sure at what point it becomes an issue, I have some ticking at the track and it sounds like it's pretty normal with these issues. Yours is ticking a lot more then mine does though.
          Mine doesnt just tick, mine sounds like a diesel engine. I think it may be something to do with lifters, but doubt that all that noise is just a few lifters.

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
          Sounds like you bent the valves by over rev.. or mist shifting.
          The car has been overrevved. But I took the head apart after that - I had the head machined, and checked for lifter issues. The shop stated that they could find nothing wrong with the head even after I told them that it was over-revved. Just to let you know, this sound was exactly the same sound before all the work was done. --- Nothing has changed since replacement of the HG, and resurfacing and checking the head.

Originally posted by Schwarz325 View Post
          these cars have hydraulic lifter, i don't think they'd make that much noise. Sounds like your vanos is shot.
          To add to above, I rebuilt the vanos with the beisan systems kit. I should have discounted the vanos as an issue too. I did not want to take the motor apart and put it back together just to think Vanos may be the problem, so I rebuilt it.

Comment

Loose spark plugs

Comment

Do you have the early or late style intake cam gear? The later models have thrust washers and springs that the early lack. Mine sounded exactly like yours until I put the late style cam gear..

Ed
              1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
              1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
              1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
              2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
              2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
              2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

get a technicians stetho and find where its comming from?
                sigpic

Comment

Ed, can you explain? Are you talking about the cam gear that bolts into the cam and connects with the Vanos gear? Or are you talking about the gear that is wrapped around the secondary chain it shares with the exhaust gear?

How can you tell the difference b/w the cam gears and why would that be the reason for the noise (in your case at least)?

Comment

What's that smoke?
                    It does sound like Vanos though (yea, I read what you wrote), check http://www.drvanos.com/index.php?opt...d=11&Itemid=10

Comment

It's been a long time but...there was a BMW TSB to replace all early cam gears with later units due to "noise". The cam gear referenced is the Vanos gear on the intake side. The best way to look at it would be on realoem, look up an early 93 Vanos cam gear, then look at the 96+ arrangement. You'll see the difference there between the thrust plates and spacers, and also that the 93 arrangement has been superseded by the later hardware.

Dr. Vanos also sells the update kit for early models. I just bought the parts from BMW. I really think this is what you've got going on.

Ed
                      1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
                      1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
                      1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
                      2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
                      2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
                      2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

You Lifter are shot. YOu can rebuild them yourself but it is likely that they took the hit with the over rev. Did the machine shop check the lifters or just the head?
                        1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
                        5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Comment

How do you rebuild a lifter?

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                          You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

I thought the procedure to test a lifter was to allow them to pump up, pull the VC, then push down on them?

They don't get rebuilt, they just get replaced, as far as I know. That IS a wicked rattle, though.

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

More and more, I am thinking lifters. Can the car run for a little like this?

Comment

Working...
                              X