Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*SOLVED* Speakers are shooting machin guns, Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*SOLVED* Speakers are shooting machin guns, Help!!!

I'm starting to admit that I must have done something wrong in wiring.
    I bought another used amp after having issues with previous one.
    It's Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.0:4
    I connected all the wires and everything seemed to be working.
    I found out that no sound was coming out from front right.
    So I took that speaker to front left to see if it's the speaker problem or the front right channel problem.
    Still no sound from the speaker after switching it to the working channel.
    So I replaced that speaker with another PS speaker I had.
    All sounds coming from 4 speakers(no tweeter at this time).
    So I 'm driving for couple of minutes and decided to turn it up to see what adjustments would be necessary.
    After about 3 minutes suddenly no music and really loud machine gun like sound coming out from all four speakers. And I can see the speakers working really hard to fire several rounds every second, since I did not put the grills back on.
    Funny thing is this happened while I was playing the same song that I played when the previous amp suddenly shut off and never got to run it again.
    I'm afraid I might have destroyed another amp.

Ask me questions, ask me for pictures, please someone help me nail down the problem.... I already waisted $160 on amps and tons of hours.
    I'm about to give up on having an amplifier in my car.
    My expectation of having a decent sound in my car has been crushed twice now and I am very depressed
    Last edited by clayparkley; 10-06-2011, 10:36 AM.

SO the amp still works, but is making the "machine gun" sounds?

If so the first thing I would do is make some shorting plugs. Just cut some RCA end and twist the inner and outer wires together. Make one for each input on the amplifier, plug them in, and power up the system. If the noise goes away, your problem is in front of the amp, if the problem stays it's the amp or downstream.

Comment

Rule #1: always blame the installer.

If you have no noise, no pops/clicks and perfect sound, blame the installer.

If you have noises and issues, blame the installer first. Yes, that includes me and any other installers too.

Lets do this: tell me EXACTLY what wires you connected to what, every single connection everywhere, especially the speakers....the more detail the better. Pics would make it even better.

Lets figure this fucker out.

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

ok, ok, it's all my fault, lol~
        I'll write down all the wire connections with some pics and post it right after lunch. Thanks~

Comment

Im thinkn you should save your money and get a shop to do it.
          Just walk away now JK
          Im with what luke said you need to chase some wire make sure they are all good.
          sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
          The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
            Im thinkn you should save your money and get a shop to do it.
            Just walk away now JK
            Im with what luke said you need to chase some wire make sure they are all good.
            Yeah, it could've been cheaper if I paid someone to do it.
            And I could've blamed that guy if something went wrong.
            I started it so I would like to finish it up, but I don't have much cash to waist now.
            I'm usually pretty good with these kind of stuff once I get a good understanding, but I'm kinda having trouble this time.:sad:
            Thanks for all the support and help.

Comment

Here are all the connection that I've made from HU to speakers.

3 sets of RCA, Rear, Front, SW, from top to bottom.(No subs yet just RCA)

HU wire harness to BMW wires left to right.
              yellow - green/red
              black - brown/black
              red - grey/purple
              blue/wht - 2 whites
              orange/wht - grey/red
              yellow/blk - empty

Amp Battery
              Is it dangerous to have the wire slightly going above the engine block like that?

Amp Ground

RCA to Amp
              config bypass
              bass boost 0
              freq in 11o'clock position like the manual told me to.
              front sens - I wasn't sure what this was so set to 4v

Power, remote, ground & speakers out
              What you see on here is an extension wires matching the HU harness color codes.

Amp to Speaker
              no need to explain. clearly visible

Front speakers Left to Right
              Gry/Red and Gry/Green on one side and Gry/purple on the other
              grey/white and grey/green on one side grey/brown on the other

No tweeters

Rear Speakers
              I swapped them with set of front PS speakers.
              I had to forcefully pull on the interior to fit the speakers in there, so I'm not going to take it out to take picture, unless you really feel there could be a problem.

funny thing happened as I was trying to record the machine gun shooting action to show you guys what I mean.
              Short fire of machine gun and then music started playing fine.
              I turned it off & on couple of times and it's working fine.
              I did not turn up the vol. because I was afraid that it might happen again.
              Here's a vid shot.
              <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jCg-RxDstaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
              Last edited by clayparkley; 10-03-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Wow, great shots.

Looking stuff over, i don't see a thing that even makes me think it is a problem.

generally, a speaker wire shorted to ground causes a noise like you describe.

Still have my phone number? Call me when you can. We will get this thing figured out.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  Wow, great shots.

Looking stuff over, i don't see a thing that even makes me think it is a problem.

generally, a speaker wire shorted to ground causes a noise like you describe.
                  Well, there's one thing I need to confess.
                  There was a wire running straight from HU to the speakers which PO had installed.
                  I never bothered to take em out and actually they were still connected to the HU. Ends of wires are stripped and laying around somewhere behind the speakers.
                  I guess that could have been the problem.
                  HU side of those wires has been cut now, but still on the speaker sides it's laying around naked.
                  I'll pulled them out so I don't need to worry about that anymore.
                  When I fade to the front, sounds are still bleeding through the rear speakers. Is this normal?

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  Still have my phone number? Call me when you can. We will get this thing figured out.
                  We never spoke before. But if you're willing, I'll keep your number handy.

Comment

With a big help from Stereoinstaller1, I was able to resolve this problem.
                    The problem was from one of the front speakers' insert touching the car's metal frame and causing a short.
                    I did not screw down the speakers thinking that I would do that at last after all the adjustments are over.
                    So when I was driving, speaker kinda shifted out of the hole and touched frame.
                    This is probably exact same reason how I messed up my other amp.
                    I couldn't stop beating on myself by keep repeating 'how stupid i am' in my head.
                    But I'm glad everything is working now.
                    Thanks for all the help guys~

Comment

Working...
                    X