Fender Roll Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fender Roll Question

Im going to be running 16x8 et 20 wheels with 225/45 tires (falken fk452s if it matters), combined with h&r race springs and bilstein sports on my car which has early year fenders.

I have a couple questions -
    -Ive read this combination will only need a rear roll, but it wasnt clear what year (fender) car this was on - just wondering what experience have with a similar setup and what rolling was required.

-If the fronts require rolling (do they?), will I be able to still use the fender liners? Id really like to keep them if possible. Theyre kind of old and shitty and some of the mounts are broken so theyre held in partly by the lip of the fender so Im a little skeptical itll work.

In the end my goal is to keep it safest for the fenders and not damage them by hitting the tires when driving aggressively (DD/spirited driving beater usage), and I dont mind rolling all the fenders Im just trying to get a better feel for what others have done.

Thanks
    sigpic
    '89 Delphin/Cardinal OBD1 M52 325i
    '87 Schwarz/Cardinal 325is - SOLD

IG: @steezmode

I have 205/50 on my 16x8 et20 wheels and they rub in the rear only when driving aggressively and large dips/ bumps in the road. My fenders aren't rolled and I have an early model.

Comment

Originally posted by CW325 View Post
      I have 205/50 on my 16x8 et20 wheels and they rub in the rear only when driving aggressively and large dips/ bumps in the road. My fenders aren't rolled and I have an early model.
      Is your car lowered as well?
      sigpic

Comment

I've been researching this subject myself. I'm going to run 205/40-17s on my 17x8 wheels with et20 offset.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
        sigpic
        Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

I have a late model car with the same exact set up you will have and I had to roll the rears. Fronts have been fine
          sigpic

Comment

Sweet thanks guys. Ill start with just the rears to be safe and see how it goes. Ill report back for future reference.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by low_&_loud View Post
              Is your car lowered as well?
              Yea I'm on IE3 springs, basically the same drop as you.

Comment

Im on same h&r sport with e90 hats and same size wheels with 205/50. 16x9+20 rear. Late model. Had toroll front and back. Fromt were catching fenders coming out of drjveways and such turning wheel hard. Rear was only rubbing very vefy slightly on heavy interstate overpass dips so i went ahead and rolled.

Comment

Good info!

Comment

In for pics
                    IG: @_j.wn

Comment

Update -

My rears did need rolling....it may have been possible to leave it alone but it was too close for me. Rolled it almost completely flat with no issues at all.

I didnt roll the front but I havent driven it much yet to know for sure, it looks like itll be OK to me. Ive tried to keep my fender liners as well, but I had to hack them up a bit since Im running a sump armor skidplate and the splash pan was interfering with it, not sure if itll hold together or not yet. If it wasnt already so messed up and held on by less than half the original mounts it would probably work fine the way Im rigging it up.

Pics (front valence not attached, this is when I was working on the splash pan/fender liners)

sigpic

Comment

Update #2

Front fender liners rub when turning which is annoying. May try to heat them up and bend it a little, I guess the 225/45 is a bit big but it seems like plenty of other people have run them with no issues...
                        sigpic

Comment

roll both the front and the rear,
                          its only a matter of time until the front tire will catch the front fender lip and bend it out. the inner liner can be retained, just trimmed a little
                          PBMW Magazine. PVW Mag

Fender Rolling for dirt cheap in SoCal. Hit me up.

Check out my work...

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=165114

Comment

I went ahead and rolled the fronts as well now, fender liners still in place, I feel a bit better about it although the liner still rubs on the front side of the tire....Its all messed up anyways so if it rips off I wont be heartbroken
                            Last edited by low_&_loud; 02-11-2014, 11:25 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X