No announcement yet.

Democratic Primary Season 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DoA bid given her previous stance on LGBTQ lifestyle, legislation, and even working for anti-gay organizations. Not sure what her other positions are but that alone will probably keep her from gaining serious momentum.

I hadn't heard of her until your mention of her. Will have to listen to that podcast though as I like the excerpt I saw where she berated the Clinton's speaking tours. Going to have a very large hill to climb though.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

NYC mayor Bill De Blasio in the race, we are at 24 participants.

As far as Tulsi Gabbard is concerned, she has definitely changed her stances as of recently to fit the left wing agenda more thoroughly, which won't really play well to the national audience.

My in-laws live in Hawaii and I asked them about her and their comment was, "Pretty sure she's running simply to gain name recognition for the post election cycle". Who knows, but I wouldn't doubt that she might not be the only one in this crowded field thinking I can really make some money off this when all the dust settles.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Curious what the thoughts are behind Tulsi Gabbard, listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with her on it. Some interesting viewpoints that I have to agree with
        Thanks for mentioning, looked it up, was a good interview
        I like Tulsi a lot.
        1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Curious what the thoughts are behind Tulsi Gabbard, listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with her on it. Some interesting viewpoints that I have to agree with
          “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Due to the large number of primary contestants, the DNC has raised the standards that must be met for a candidate to participate in the third debate, hosted by ABC, scheduled for Sept. 12.

Looks like:
            -Polling numbers must be at least 2% in four different polls (Doubled from the criteria for the first two debates)
            -Donations from at least 130,000 individuals donors (Doubled from the criteria for the first two debates)
            -Donations from 400 unique donors in at least 20 different states

These criteria will also be in place for the fourth debate in October.

As of right now it looks like these candidates meet the criteria:

-Joe Biden
            -Bernie Sanders
            -Elizabeth Warren
            -Kamala Harris
            -Amy Klobuchar
            -Corey Booker
            -Pete Buttigieg
            -Beto O'Rourke

This would really pare down the field in the debates come the fall unless some of the others start making moves.

Thoughts?

Comment

I for one am glad to see it. The voter can not keep the platforms of 20+ candidates straight. At least not with still maintaining a job, family life, etc. It's information over load.

This will also weed out the candidates who have literally no chance. Not sure why some of them even take a shot unless it's just for future name recognition (or to sell a book).
              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
              91 318is Turbo Sold
              87 325 Daily driver Sold
              06 4.8is X5
              06 Mtec X3
              05 4.4i X5 Sold
              90 325i Sold
              97 328is Sold
              01 323ci Sold
              92 325i Sold
              83 528e Totaled
              98 328i Sold
              93 325i Sold

Comment

I’m interested to know if any of you that tend to vote for left leaning candidates if you’re actually enthusiastic about Biden, other than he may be able to unseat Trump?
                “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
                  I’m interested to know if any of you that tend to vote for left leaning candidates if you’re actually enthusiastic about Biden, other than he may be able to unseat Trump?
                  Here's a fantastic & smart Podcast to listen to that is 100% dead-on on Biden:

Joe Biden Would be a Disaster
                  1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

I’ve really been impressed by Elizabeth Warren over the past couple of months. She’s clearly putting in more effort than anyone else and has been doing in amazing job at the town hall appearances. More plans than anyone else. I did a little reading up and saw that she had apparently won the state debate championship and won a debate scholarship at age 16. I’ll be watching to see how she fares on Wednesday in the first debate.
                    "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
                    -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

I agree, watched one of her town halls recently and she definitely raised her stature in my mind with the level of specificity in her comments and her composure when asked tough questions. It'll be interesting to see if she can stand out against the lesser known contenders. If she can distance herself from them she'll be primed for the next debate against the main players.

Comment

so far i still like booker's messaging more than anyone else's.

we'll see how he fares in the debates.
                        past:
                        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                        1985 323i baur
                        current:
                        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
                          I agree, watched one of her town halls recently and she definitely raised her stature in my mind with the level of specificity in her comments and her composure when asked tough questions. It'll be interesting to see if she can stand out against the lesser known contenders. If she can distance herself from them she'll be primed for the next debate against the main players.
                          I must admit have been remiss in following the town halls and other speaking engagements. ^But, what you say is encouraging and I hope she continues that specificity during the debates when the audience is larger. Can't stand when candidates pander to smaller audiences and then get vague as hell when on a national stage.

I don't have a front runner yet as it is so early. I like some of what just about all of the major candidates have to say. Would hate to see Biden get the nomination though.
                          91 318is Turbo Sold
                          87 325 Daily driver Sold
                          06 4.8is X5
                          06 Mtec X3
                          05 4.4i X5 Sold
                          90 325i Sold
                          97 328is Sold
                          01 323ci Sold
                          92 325i Sold
                          83 528e Totaled
                          98 328i Sold
                          93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                            I must admit have been remiss in following the town halls and other speaking engagements. ^But, what you say is encouraging and I hope she continues that specificity during the debates when the audience is larger. Can't stand when candidates pander to smaller audiences and then get vague as hell when on a national stage.

I don't have a front runner yet as it is so early. I like some of what just about all of the major candidates have to say. Would hate to see Biden get the nomination though.

I agree and it's not because I hate Biden or anything. He was a fine VP and I think he should be happy to leave it at that. I really don't want to hear about every questionable thing he's said or done over the next year and a half. I find it odd that he's doing so well in all the polling, but I suspect he will drop rapidly much like Jeb did as we go along and people start to learn more about the other candidates.
                            "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
                            -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

After last night's debate I felt that a few people started to separate themselves from the crowd, here's my list of contenders after the first night of the first debate. I'll add to it after the second half of the field debates tonight. These are by no means anything more than my personal opinion after watching, feel free to comment if you watched and saw it differently.

I thought that John Delaney was the clear winner last night. He presented himself in a dignified way while also making several poignant comments about the economy and the nature of healthcare in the country. He was subtle enough in his digs of several other candidates that he didn't come off as overly aggressive but still stood his ground against some of the other big names out there.

I also felt that Cory Booker increased his stock last night as he moved away from the fairly in-your-face style that he tends to have when in Congress that can come off as whiny. He presented several instances where he challenged others on their views and presented several of his own. I did tire of him talking about how he lives in Newark, however.

Elizabeth Warren was clearly given more time as well as a central position on the debate stage (given that she polled higher than the rest it was no surprise), so she did get to talk more than any other candidate and was asked to respond directly to several other's comments. In that sense I believe that she stuck to her principles and policies that she has laid out to date. However, I don't think she was able to present herself as a clear favorite in the field and her support of Medicare-for-All wasn't necessarily fleshed out as much as I would have liked given that it is one of her signature policy objectives. Given the weaker field compared to tonight's debate, I just felt she didn't stand out enough.

Bill De Blasio interjected himself at several key moments and did so in a way that asked several important questions related to income inequality and the responsibility (perceived by the Dems at least) of the government to lessen that inequality. He had a presidential demeanor to me, and although he didn't say anything that I'd say was specific beyond what the rest of the candidates are saying, he seems as though he'd be able to debate Trump well, so I felt as though he presented better than expected as well.

Julian Castro to me sounded at times intelligent, but then at times whiny, especially when he got into back and forth arguments with a couple different candidates. Just didn't seem like anything other than childish in the moment. Plus he feels the need to speak spanish at any possible juncture to prove that he's the only hispanic candidate. While we're on that whole Spanish thing, I felt it was ridiculous the amount of pandering to the hispanic voter simply by attempting to speak spanish. SNL is going to have a field day this weekend with that BS.

Several that I felt played themselves out of it if they weren't already were:

Beto O'Rourke (clearly showed no policy ideas)
                              Tim Ryan (Looked confused at times)
                              Jay Inslee (Focused on the environment and nothing else)
                              Tulsie Gabbard (who talked incessantly about her military experience and nothing else)

The only one that I wasn't entirely sure of was Amy Klobuchar, who I thought would be more assertive with her comments, but appeared to be so measured in what she said as if she wanted everyone to like her on stage rather than showing the clear differences between her and other candidates.

Onward to tonight's debate!

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
                                After last night's debate... The only one that I wasn't entirely sure of was Amy Klobuchar, who I thought would be more assertive with her comments, but appeared to be so measured in what she said as if she wanted everyone to like her on stage rather than showing the clear differences between her and other candidates.

Onward to tonight's debate!
                                ^I can respect that interpretation, though the spanish speaking didn't bother me as much. The problem with such a big field (or this one in particular) is there is so much overlap in terms of policy. The first half of the debate it seemed like they were all for the same things. Second half separated them a little more.

Gabbard - I liked her, didn't talk too much, was no-nonsense when she did.
                                Beto - He's not going to fare well in the polls after last night, been dropping already. The anecdotes took too much of his time.
                                Tim Ryan - who?
                                Jay Inslee - One roar from the Trump is the enemy comment
                                Warren - As suspected, she got pretty open-ended and vague in her responses despite having the most talking time. Unfortunate
                                Julian Castro - I liked his stage presence, a little combative at times with Beto, but overall a solid performance
                                Bill De Blasio - I think he did fairly well
                                Delaney - Liked him as well. His ideas didn't seem over-the-top and might actually get done, but think the party might have moved more left than he is willing to go (same with Beto)
                                Booker - Talked about living in the ghetto a lot. But presented well and gave a good account of himself.
                                Klobuchar - I thought she did well also but didn't do anything to jump out

At the end of the day this is going to come down to who garners the most money so many of these candidates are "also-rans" already. We'll have to wait to see how the donations shake out to see who will actually be a possibility. Right now, it's just an interesting watch. Kind of like pre-season football.
                                Last edited by Schnitzer318is; 06-27-2019, 08:07 AM.
                                91 318is Turbo Sold
                                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                                06 4.8is X5
                                06 Mtec X3
                                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                                90 325i Sold
                                97 328is Sold
                                01 323ci Sold
                                92 325i Sold
                                83 528e Totaled