No announcement yet.

S52 OBDII Wiring Kamasutra 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ thats what i was hoping to accomplish all along j/k. i'll be running all 4 O2's when i can get my hands on m3 cats since i have no intentions to destroy mother nature...but the car has no problem running on just two....i should post a vid to back my thread up

*edit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=sTBUY5uNM3o
    No more e30s for me.
    88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
    88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
    91 BMW 325i [sold]
    86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Although this explains how to hook up the EWS system (not exactly new info), I don't see that it's going to get around the other OBDII problems. You still have a DME that's looking for fuel tank pressure signals, and also signals from the after CAT 02 sensors. Your engine may well start okay, but I suspect it won't be giving full power, and you will also have a check engine light.

You also need to watch what you are connecting to pin 20 of the C101. The info above is likely to cause a fire. Pin 20 on some cars is a ground connection (brown wire) that goes to a ground point under the dash. On other cars, it's a 12v feed to the ABS ECU. If you go running a 12v feed from the main DME relay to a car that has a brown wire in pin 20, you're going to release some smoke (shorting 12v to ground is a bad thing). You only connect this wire if pin 20 is red/yellow.

To be honest, I'm amazed that we don't see more fires on E30 forums due to secondhand info being posted. BMW made subtle changes to the wiring over the years, and what works on an 88, may set fire to an 89. We've had people on the e30zone fit a replacement engine (same model) from a different year, and had sections of the loom burn out. You need to know exactly what each and every wire is doing, on both the car and the engine, before hooking anything up.

Regarding having to use the E36 key, this is also not strictly required. You do need to use the coded transponder chip from the key, but not the key itself. My original E30 key has the transponder chip fitted inside it, and the EWS antenna is fitted around the original E30 ignition barrel. I have a spare EWS transponder stored safely, but there's only one key on the planet that will actually start my car 8)

Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by ian332isport View Post
        Although this explains how to hook up the EWS system (not exactly new info), I don't see that it's going to get around the other OBDII problems. You still have a DME that's looking for fuel tank pressure signals, and also signals from the after CAT 02 sensors. Your engine may well start okay, but I suspect it won't be giving full power, and you will also have a check engine light.

You also need to watch what you are connecting to pin 20 of the C101. The info above is likely to cause a fire. Pin 20 on some cars is a ground connection (brown wire) that goes to a ground point under the dash. On other cars, it's a 12v feed to the ABS ECU. If you go running a 12v feed from the main DME relay to a car that has a brown wire in pin 20, you're going to release some smoke (shorting 12v to ground is a bad thing). You only connect this wire if pin 20 is red/yellow.

To be honest, I'm amazed that we don't see more fires on E30 forums due to secondhand info being posted. BMW made subtle changes to the wiring over the years, and what works on an 88, may set fire to an 89. We've had people on the e30zone fit a replacement engine (same model) from a different year, and had sections of the loom burn out. You need to know exactly what each and every wire is doing, on both the car and the engine, before hooking anything up.

Regarding having to use the E36 key, this is also not strictly required. You do need to use the coded transponder chip from the key, but not the key itself. My original E30 key has the transponder chip fitted inside it, and the EWS antenna is fitted around the original E30 ignition barrel. I have a spare EWS transponder stored safely, but there's only one key on the planet that will actually start my car 8)

Ian.
        i'm not so sure that either the fuel sensor and the aftercat O2s have anything to do with AFR's...atleast not the fuel sensor. I'm getting with O2simulator.com to make a 0-5V version sim for the after-cats version on this engine

On C101 pin20 you are probably correct and thank you for pointing that out. Its the only wire that i have not connected yet because i don't know exactly what to do with it. like it said, this is my first engine wiring ever. i BLK'd it for ppl to not miss. In my Diagrams above, its a brown wire so i guess its a ground, i will read through my ETM and modify my first post with this find. thank you again.

As far as Wiring specifig year.models you are correct, hence why i made very clear that this works in an 1988 325is and a 97 (also 98 ) S52 (Z-roadster and coupe were the same). I encourage people to read through their ETM, but its been my experience that wire colors change, not pins.

As far as the your key situation goes, i think that it is a brilliant idea since the chip is read from current inducted by the Ring Antenna i can see it happening. I was thinking of getting a copy or two made from bmw. Do you have any information on copying the transponder chip?
        No more e30s for me.
        91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
          Do you have any information on copying the transponder chip?
          I'm afraid there's no way to copy the transponder chips. Each EWS module is factory programmed with the codes for 10 transponder chips. 4 of these are delivered with the car when new, and the remaining 6 are held by BMW to be used when a customer orders a new key. If you somehow manage to loose all 10 keys/transponders, you will have to get a new EWS module that has a fresh batch of 10 chips programmed into it. The dealer does have the ability to disable transponders (if you loose a key for example), but cannot add any.

Regarding C101 pin 20, you can read some good discussion on the e30zone here:

Ian.

Comment

^^ Ian, thanks for the information. I found all that you say in a german training manual for bmw that talked in depth about the EWSII and EWSIII.

C101 pin 20, i have it right. i went through the ETM scared shitless that my something was going to burn but its all good.

NOW, I MUST TO ADD: C101 Pin 15 goes to the "30h" top-most pole of the starter. This powers the unloader relays => All climate control functions, Power windows, Sunroof etc :D

gl
            No more e30s for me.
            91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

your computer has spyware!!!
              R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

^^ no it doesnt...my school's computer does :d jaja
                No more e30s for me.
                91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

what are you doing about the secondary air pump?

Comment

Old thread, but I removed it ,, it gives you a CEL but no perfromance loss.

But i got it deleted out of my dme.
                    87 OBDII 328is

Comment

I know it's an old thread, but there is not a newer one that addresses keeping the OBDII wiring. Thanks for the response.

Also, where are you storing the EWS and all the extra components? glovebox?
                      What connects to pins 6, 11, and 20 on the e30 c101 end?
                      What connects to pins 4, 5, 6, 14, 15, and 16 on the s52 harness?
                      Last edited by dpgrand; 10-07-2008, 08:03 AM.

Comment

6-nada. 11 you figure it out. 20- it says what to do.
                        4,5,6,14,15,16 - nothing applicable to the e30.

as for the thread, it'll never get old. i'm running car #2 with this wiring and its working perfect. waiting for people to start using shark edit.
                        No more e30s for me.
                        91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                          11 you figure it out
                          I hate riddles....

Figured it out! For anyone who is interested: link

Comment

Another question:

"Connect EWS pin 3 directly to X20 pin 7, routing through the c101 unused pin 3 for cleanliness can be tedious."

--does this mean that EWS pin 4 is unused?
                            Last edited by dpgrand; 10-07-2008, 10:24 AM.

Comment

CCV Return Line

I'm in the middle of an OBDII S52 swap myself. I mostly lurk on r3v, but I had a question about your conversion.

How did you handle the oil return line from the CCV?

The old dipstick guide had a place to attach the return line, but the new E34 guide does not. I don't imagine it'd take long to fab something up, but I'm curious how you handled it. For everyone's benefit, I've attached a picture of where the return line attaches to the CCV, and where the return line attaches to the M3 dipstick guide.

Thanks,
                              ~jeff

Comment

I think most people eliminate that and just run the breather to the intake boot like an OBDI car.

BTW, as a general announcement: TRM will be tuning NA OBDII cars very soon. Just need to hit the dyno with the first development cars.

Comment

Working...
                                X