No announcement yet.

$30 scosche sub box arrived today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you can. would you get a pic of the box laying down with the woofer facing up towards the parcel shelf?

the PO had cut a hole in the deck and covering. he had the old sealed box firing up at the hole.

i want to get an idea if it will clear my rear strut tie bar that way.
    seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

sure deal... ima get it all tucked in with carpet back in place in the a.m...

Comment

Nice find.

Comment

does it look like it will clear the tops of the strut towers if you lay it on it's back with the driver firing up

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

sorry i meant to take a pic for you, just ran out of time and had to fill the trunk with crap from my 02 which is leaving tonight!

i did put it on its back, and it seems like it would indeed be shallow enough to clear the top of the shock towers. Cant say for sure, just remember it being pretty shallow front-to-back overall (or top to bottom in your configuration...

Comment

perfect! ordering one up!

Comment

If this is a make it yourself box, is there a way to just get a different piece for the speaker opening so that the sub mounts on the angled side? Although, the sub facing back is supposedly the best sound.
                '74 2002 - Build blog at
                nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by NOMAD View Post
                  If this is a make it yourself box, is there a way to just get a different piece for the speaker opening so that the sub mounts on the angled side? Although, the sub facing back is supposedly the best sound.

nah its pre-assembled. what i would do is just get a piece of MDF and cover existing hole, then cut a new hole on opposite side. but from what ive read about transfer function, its best to face it backwards. key for us is to let the sound back into the cabin, opening as many holes as is possible! im gonna remove the stock mids, passthrough is already punched out, and possibly put a new hole in the middle of the package shelf (covered by a 6x9 grille or something...)

Comment

Transfer function has nothing to do with why you face woofers backwards.

Phase cancellation is why you face to the rear. I may write an article on it someday, but not here, not now.

I love how some retards say "you need to face it to the rear to get more sound inside"...no, if you seal the entire output of the woofer (as in woofer AND ports) into the cabin you will logically get the best performance...but it is so much more work to do so that I understand that some people out there just don't want to deal with the hassle or expense of doing it my way.

As far as sound, facing rear or up (or sideways, for that matter) makes virtually no difference, as long as you aren't facing the woofer forward.

100% "cabin sealed" or point that woofer elsewhere, guys.

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

At a total cost of $50 for my used sub in a box I'll be ready for when you start building your boxes again...
                      '74 2002 - Build blog at
                      nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                        Transfer function has nothing to do with why you face woofers backwards.

Phase cancellation is why you face to the rear. I may write an article on it someday, but not here, not now.

I love how some retards say "you need to face it to the rear to get more sound inside"...no, if you seal the entire output of the woofer (as in woofer AND ports) into the cabin you will logically get the best performance...but it is so much more work to do so that I understand that some people out there just don't want to deal with the hassle or expense of doing it my way.

As far as sound, facing rear or up (or sideways, for that matter) makes virtually no difference, as long as you aren't facing the woofer forward.

100% "cabin sealed" or point that woofer elsewhere, guys.

phase delay (not sure what you mean by cancellation) *is* transfer function, or vice versa. the idea being that the long bass wave needs more room before it hits its peak. the other day I was in a stereo store and standing right in front of a 12" sub in a vented box with 1000w on it, and other than the room shaking, i felt almost nothing. when i walked around the room, the bass grew and shrank in intensity by dramatic amounts depending on where I was standing.

It is for that reason that I am putting my sub on a "leash" and am going to experiment on the best location and orientation within the trunk. Ive never listened to your box, and im sure its fine. you may overcome cabin-size issues with sheer brute force. no need to call other people names just because they disagree with you or are trying something else. (hmm, defensive much?) and its not about how much sound you get inside, its the quality of that sound, aka how much low bass you achieve vs 60hz boom. Again, not saying anything about your setup, for all I know it is 100% fantastic. This is just a way, way, way less expensive and simpler setup, which MAY suck a lot of ass! we shall see...

Comment

So i wonder what it would be for this box+ a cheap but decent sub+ amp, and i guess anything else you need

Id like to add a little more bass

And yet i have little $

:D

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen027 View Post
                            So i wonder what it would be for this box+ a cheap but decent sub+ amp, and i guess anything else you need

Id like to add a little more bass

And yet i have little $

:D

Amps have come down a lot in price, although its still possible to spend a lot. check out www.sonicelectronix.com or www.etronics.com for the best pricing. I myself have been out of the loop for the past few years, so I donno what is the best budget brand these days. Ive heard good things about Hifonics tho, being that they run cool and have good output. I really cant say for certain tho. As for subs, im going to run an alpine type-S, which is a budget woof that i had previously in a sealed-to-cabin sealed box that actually approached infinite baffle in size (3cuft+stuffing which made it like 6cuft). it produced a lot of low-end rumble but not a lot of punch. I do like my rumble! this setup is kind of an experiment. normally my sealed boxes are much larger than manufacturer recommendations and this one is spot-on the recommended size for my woof.

All told you can probably get a decent class-D amp and decent woofer, and this box for around $200-250.

oh and you need an amp kit. I saw one on amazon by Legacy which is a 4gauge kit, designed to run from a underhood battery, so if you have a trunk batt you'll have a lot of extra wire. anyway the legacy kit was like $30 shipped. again its easy to spend a lot more on this stuff and beware some amp kits SAY they are 4 gauge when they just use a lot of fat insulation and the actual conductor is very small. copper aint cheap, plastic insulation is!

Comment

well if i got a hifoncs 30$ sub and a 80$ amp, with a 30$ box... thats like 130 [+shipping i guess]

Although i wasnt paying attention to compatibility...

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen027 View Post
                                well if i got a hifoncs 30$ sub and a 80$ amp, with a 30$ box... thats like 130 [+shipping i guess]

Although i wasnt paying attention to compatibility...

just get a 4 ohm woofer and you dont have to worry about compatibility too much. also check the woofer specs to see if a 1.25cu.ft. box is big enough. Im guessin for 90% of 12ers it will be. I guess mostly you want to get a woof designed for sealed boxes. i think shipping is free at certain places if you spend enough $$. dont expect too much at a budget level like this, and be aware that bass is addictive! once you have a little, typically you end up wanting more! that being said, an el-cheapo setup can probably match a high-dollar one up to a certain level. if anything, get a bigger amp than you need, just dont turn it up all the way (or enough to blow the woof). more power is always better since you are just as if not more likely to kill a woofer with clipping distortion (too little power) than by smoking it or breaking it physically (too much power). a trick is to set the amp gain so that the woofer is making all the sound it can safely make without distorting or bottoming out at the level that is comfortable to listen to as far as the other speakers go. that way, you can never blow anything without blowing your hearing too (which you will naturally avoid i hope). one other thing that would be useful is an amp with speaker-level inputs so you can just tap into one of the rear speakers (which you will likely remove) for signal...

Comment

Working...
                                X