No announcement yet.

e28 'Green' Mounts - BITE ME!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know, i've done tranny mounts on all my e30s and never knew about this or had a problem with the mounts...but check this out.

the problem was the transmission mounts. Turns out they suck and its probably a design error or maybe i was so unlucky as to get two defective tranny mounts. I put the stock ones back on and wow its smooth at any rpm and the urethane engine mounts barely noticeable. I called them and i'm hoping for a refund or exchange for e21 mounts...maybe UUC or some other brand on the tranny idk yet.
    Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
    I had the same problem with my passenger mount after one track season. I will replace it this winter, but my solution is different than yours.

I am going to buy the AKG poly mounts that are made for the m5x/s5x swap. The advantage is that they are actually engineered to accomodate the angle of the e30 subframe and the e36 engine mounting arm, which obviously eliminates the twisting force applied to the e28 mounts when tightened down. I've seen a set of these on a swapped car and spoken with AKG and these mounts are the best option on the market in my opinion.

For a street car the e28 mounts are fine, just check them regularly for tearing. For a track car, the e28 mounts do not last. Although the akg mounts are $200, that's a lot cheaper than tearing an e28 mount on the track and putting your motor through your radiator. Just thinking about that scares me.

Bottom of the page:
    http://akgmotorsport.com/e30products.html
    yeah, i saw the AKG mounts you are talking about. I was driven away by the price and the duromoter. I wanted something stiffer. Now, the engine mounts won't twist, but they do bend slightly to accomodate for that angle, but its so minor it really makes no difference. The stock (green) e28 mounts atleast have a metal casing that supports the rubber from what you describe, but the rubber will tear if you track the car... i drift, its all agressive weight transfering and that's why they just tore almost completely through... but it was my driver's side that took the most damage

i wonder how the IE's or even the akg perform when braking, accelerating and braking since they don't have that support.. what keeps the engine from yolting forward into the radiator like you describe. I know the engine is held by the driveshaft too, but cmon, what is actually supposed to hold the engine during a hard braking, the 4 engine/tranny mounts that are completely perpendicular to the engine? just thinking out loud..
    No more e30s for me.
    88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
    88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
    91 BMW 325i [sold]
    86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
      you know, i've done tranny mounts on all my e30s and never knew about this or had a problem with the mounts...but check this out.

the problem was the transmission mounts. Turns out they suck and its probably a design error or maybe i was so unlucky as to get two defective tranny mounts. I put the stock ones back on and wow its smooth at any rpm and the urethane engine mounts barely noticeable. I called them and i'm hoping for a refund or exchange for e21 mounts...maybe UUC or some other brand on the tranny idk yet.

yeah, i saw the AKG mounts you are talking about. I was driven away by the price and the duromoter. I wanted something stiffer. Now, the engine mounts won't twist, but they do bend slightly to accomodate for that angle, but its so minor it really makes no difference. The stock (green) e28 mounts atleast have a metal casing that supports the rubber from what you describe, but the rubber will tear if you track the car... i drift, its all agressive weight transfering and that's why they just tore almost completely through... but it was my driver's side that took the most damage

i wonder how the IE's or even the akg perform when braking, accelerating and braking since they don't have that support.. what keeps the engine from yolting forward into the radiator like you describe. I know the engine is held by the driveshaft too, but cmon, what is actually supposed to hold the engine during a hard braking, the 4 engine/tranny mounts that are completely perpendicular to the engine? just thinking out loud..
      I don't know the answer to your question, but I don't the the driveshaft would hold the engine from doing anything. If you think about it, front to back it's just slipped into some splines. Slides right off if you undo the tranny/ds bolts and pull towards the front of the car. Don't think it'd stop the engine from going foward. I'd imagine it's just the mounts, as scary as it seems...

Comment

i didnt mean the engine was being held by the driveshaft, that is absurd mechanically. but its held onto it nonetheless in the case that it yolts forward like we are thinking. maybe we are missing something or maybe there is enough strength in the mounts to account for this forces... i ran an FEA in solidworks and at the numbers i estimated (from a 60-0mph braking in 3.5 seconds acceleration) there was stress in the front part of the engine mounts, engine brakets and all over the tranny mounts... but none enough to tear anything apart. the smallest factor of safety i got was 2.377 soo there you go... and that was with overestimated forces and an overly simplified geometry of the drivetrain being represented by rectangles of cast iron and the engine mounts of rubber (of who knows that properties). i set it up in like 5min didnt want to spend too much time since i'm at work.

in any event talked to IE, they claim i must have done something wrong as far as engine positioning that multiplies vibration from the stiffer mounts... i spoke my mind and they atleast offered a 50% refund which i will take (loosing $35 + shipping there + time bastards) i'll buy e31 mounts and call it a day. the engine mounts alone provide the stiffness i was looking for.
        No more e30s for me.
        91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

in any event talked to IE, they claim i must have done something wrong as far as engine positioning that multiplies vibration from the stiffer mounts... i spoke my mind and they atleast offered a 50% refund which i will take (loosing $35 + shipping there + time bastards) i'll buy e31 mounts and call it a day. the engine mounts alone provide the stiffness i was looking for.
          So, you're still sold on the IE motor mounts?

(just that the tranny mounts were not right?)

Comment

the IE e28 motor mounts are excellent. the tranny mounts can suck my big black. if you're going to buy poly mounts from uuc or someone else maybe you should consider getting their engine mounts as well for shipping reasons idk my .02
            No more e30s for me.
            91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

/\+1 polly tranny mounts suck fat balls. I would never buy them. Unless you have an e36.

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

So, Would you reccommend I run the e31/e32 engine mounts 11-81-1-094-149/150 (~$110 from my work) and use my UUC TME's (the black ones) that I had on my e36??

OR

Buy (with $$ that could be put to good use elsewhere) the IE motor mounts and use a different Trans mount??

I plan on dropping the motor and trans in on Sat. so I'm going to need to make a move on some mounts soon... like yesterday.

Edit: NVM, I'll be running the e31/32 motor mounts with my e36 UUC TMEs (blacks for now)
                Last edited by M3forJTB; 02-03-2009, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Bumping this thread. How many of you have the same issue with the e28 green mounts. This will be my 3rd mount on the driver side with about 10k on my motor swap. I do drive hard and do about 8 autox's a year. Here is the picture of my motor mount.

This mount only has about 1000 miles on it. I'm thinking about making alum mount's with Luis (etxxz) design. Thoughts?

Comment

This thread makes me feel excellent about my AKG m50 swap mounts investment.

Comment

^ you track those and its likely that you'll be posting here soon after..
                      Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
                      Bumping this thread. How many of you have the same issue with the e28 green mounts. This will be my 3rd mount on the driver side with about 10k on my motor swap. I do drive hard and do about 8 autox's a year. Here is the picture of my motor mount.

This mount only has about 1000 miles on it. I'm thinking about making alum mount's with Luis (etxxz) design. Thoughts?
                      thoughts? ask me ; / they are excellent and you can barely feel them above 1000rpm. pm me, i have drawings. No more melted IE mounts!!!!!
                      No more e30s for me.
                      91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

/\ If you guys make some mounts let me know. I would be interested in a set because right now I have the green e28 pos mounts.

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I too now have the AKG mounts with UUC trans mounts. Much much better than the green mounts after mine got ripped to pieces. For $200 its a no brainer.
                          e30sport.net
                          '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                          '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                          '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

^ you track those and its likely that you'll be posting here soon after..

thoughts? ask me ; / they are excellent and you can barely feel them above 1000rpm. pm me, i have drawings. No more melted IE mounts!!!!!
                            Luis I'm going to be using your design, hope you don't mind. Getting a quote in the next few days for a run of 10.

Comment

i love my akg mounts

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
                                i love my akg mounts
                                Have you ever run anything else? Just a question. Would you buy solid alum motor mounts? Do you track or autox your car? How many miles do you have on the AKG mounts? All feedback is great.

Comment

Working...
                                X