Granaded s52... help appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granaded s52... help appreciated

I was doing a DE at PBIR yesterday. 3-4laps into the second session i drop three wheels off the pavement, saved it and kept going. I can't recall if i over-r3v'd or not -i doubt it- but my engine sounded differently from there on. I got black flagged so i came in to talk to the line guys. They tell me "good save, be careful" noticing that my engine was ticking louder than normal... I though "oh, i should add 1/2qt oil". Did so, but it might have been too late or the problem was elsewhere. The noise never away. I changed the oil a week ago before. 7qts of 10w30 mobil 1 synthetic.

I talked to a few e36M3 guys about it and concluded that i needed to go home (30min away) and look/adjust my valves. The engine had been on during all this troubleshooting time. Three minutes after i left the track, my engine made a nasty machine gun sound, clutch in, key off and killed it on the spot. I was ready for something like this :(

I just took the valve cover off and found this!
    *Notice intake cam is nicely lubed... exhaust cam is completely dry and toasted..

^^ only one lobe shows a superficial defect.. like a grove.

^^ journal surface completely F'd

*melted valve cover with the spark plug gasket all heat deflected.

So,

Only my intake cam (the nicely lube'd one) had a plastic tray ontop... shouldn't the exhaust cam have one too? I should have looked in here when i bought the motor.. I tracked TWO YEARS!! like this :-x

Failure questions:
    How can this happen?
    Why is this cam not drenched in oil like the intake cam?

What should i do from here?
    Rebuild or replace damaged parts.

If there is a possibility of valve damage i have no option but to take the head off and then i should rebuild the head. If not, i could probably get away with replacing the Exhaust Bearing Ledge and Exhaust Camshaft...that is if WE figure out the lubrication problem.

I have never worked on this (or any other) engine head. I'm a BSME, very mechanically abled and would like to take a crack at this with your help.

Let me know what you think i should do from here. Maybe i'm waaay off in my autopsy and conslusions and further looking is req.
    Surprisingly i'm not very depressed about this whole situation.. this guy was kicking some major porsche ass in the morning :up:

TY.
    -LR
    No more e30s for me.
    88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
    88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
    91 BMW 325i [sold]
    86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

The plastic cover is over the intake side only.

I bet you lost your oil pump nut...

You need to tear down the whole motor.

Comment

Do you know if the head has ever been worked on?
      Tial, Precision, Garrett Dealer!!!
      PM me for more info.

Comment

No idea. I bought the engine online feb 07 with 115k from a wrecked mcoupe.
        Originally posted by matt View Post
        The plastic cover is over the intake side only.

I bet you lost your oil pump nut...

You need to tear down the whole motor.
        I locktited the OPN during my swap. I don't have an oil pressure gauge, unfortunately. The cam gears, the chain and the intake cam are well-bathed in oil. I won't to rule out the nut as the cuase of failure though... this event probably suggests the whole engine/block/internals being shot.
        No more e30s for me.
        91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Ouch....maybe you were drifting in one direction too long and and starved the cam with oil? I kid I kid ;)

Like matt said above, only one cam has one of those covers. My m52 only had one as well.
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Why only 7qts of oil? My M50 takes 8qts...
            Sorry to see this happen. Sucks, but I have been through it also.

on a side note. I have 99k S52 cams and trays if your interested. :)

Comment

Originally posted by White325is View Post

8 really? all the shop books I have say 6.5 or 7.

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Yup, I pull off the oil cap, pull out the dip stick, pull the filter, lift the car and drain.
                Fill it back up and it takes exacly 8qts. I have changed it 4 times in my black e30 and it has always been 8.

Comment

Yup, I pull off the oil cap, pull out the dip stick, pull the filter, lift the car and drain.
                  Fill it back up and it takes exacly 8qts. I have changed it 4 times in my black e30 and it has always been 8.
                  I will try that next week. Thanks!

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Might help I do mine on a left and most people do theres on the ground. ???

Anyways OP I sent you a PM.

Comment

Might help I do mine on a left and most people do theres on the ground. ???

Anyways OP I sent you a PM.
                      I have a lift now ;)

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Post it on the track forum at bimmerforums. That's a damned strange lubrication failure.

Do you have a clogged oil passage?
                        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Man that blows. It completely boggles my mind as to what caused that. Obviously low oil pressures could cause that.

My theory is that the nut possibly came off or already did come off and that hard bump/rocky situation going off the course on 3 wheels caused the sprocket to jump off the teeth of the spline (of the oil pump). After wards you added half a quart of oil / extra oil. Considering the characteristics of oil, and the fact that the intake cam did have a oil splash cover, it retained the oil longer than the exhaust cam, which caused the exhaust cam to heat up a lot quicker resulting to the expanded lobe/cracked cap.

Best advice is what everyone else has been saying. Take it apart and check it thoroughly. Sigh...

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

pm'd

at 7.5qts i'll start making white/brownish smoke. I used to fill at 6.5 and said wth, half a quart more won't hurt.
                            Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                            Post it on the track forum at bimmerforums. That's a damned strange lubrication failure.

Do you have a clogged oil passage?
                            That's a great idea. I posted on the e36 M3 subforum at bimmerforums with some good replies.

The OPN keeps popping up and Matt knows his stuff.
                            Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

I will try to get the engine on a stand this week. Its far too easy to remove, and far easier to work on that way.
                            No more e30s for me.
                            91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Doesn't sound like a pump nut to me, because if it were both of them should be bad, and by putting oil in the sump won't do anything once you start driving if the nut were off, would just get louder. I think you got a bigger problem, like possibly something causing the oil to not be getting to the top. Hows the bottom look, any spun bearings? If you ran it w/ no oil pump then your more than likely going to have several of them spun. I would for sure check all of that before I ran it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X