No announcement yet.

Solid Engine Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im running the akgs, i love them. i haven't done more than 1 trackday on it, but i like them, and they seem pretty sturdy.
    I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
    2875-C Towerview Road
    Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

I would think drive shaft alignment would be more important the center of gravity changes unless it's a full race build.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
        http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TDR9980001

Found these 3 sets. The TMS lower the motor 5mm, the AKG say 15mm, and the evo sport look stock size? I wonder if my long tube headers would still clear the subframe if you lower the motor?
        the problem with those aluminum mounts is that they won't sit fat at one of their supports.. be it at the subframe or at the mounting arm. This means more vibration, stress concentration, failures. i've decided that i'm getting it made. I will reveal who is making it later so new orders won't delay mine. I need my car on the road asap. Will post pics and contact info asaic ; /. It will be a through-bolt (1bolt) aluminum.
        No more e30s for me.
        88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
        88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
        91 BMW 325i [sold]
        86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

I have been running solid mounts for over a year. My driving style on the track is nothing less than 10/10ths. I have had no issues with any of the sensors or anything else vibrating loose. The throttle response is nice and snappy cause all the energy is going directly to the driveline and being wasted in the twisting of the motor.

duit--you will not be disappointed

I made my own as well--enjoy

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
          click here for details

Comment

Originally posted by OrganicMechanic View Post
            I have been running solid mounts for over a year. My driving style on the track is nothing less than 10/10ths. I have had no issues with any of the sensors or anything else vibrating loose. The throttle response is nice and snappy cause all the energy is going directly to the driveline and being wasted in the twisting of the motor.

duit--you will not be disappointed

I made my own as well--enjoy
            this is exactly the review i was waiting to hear. What mounts are you running... it may be perfectly acceptable to use e36 solidmounts -.-

thanks 8)
            No more e30s for me.
            91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

I made solid aluminum motor mounts for my M3 with no complaints. Just remember that the motor mount arm and the subframe are not parallel, so you need to figure out the angle to make the mounts.

Erik

Comment

Sorry about the thread jack but I am just in the process of ordering mounts right now, will e28 M5 mounts be stiff enough for a car that sees occasional auto-x use or should I be upgrading to some AKG or IE poly mounts? I already had problems with the M20 fan contacting the rad with the m20's soft OE mounts and I am not looking forward to a repeat. That said those AKG mounts are freakin expensive.
                Last edited by Adrian_Visser; 12-11-2009, 11:20 AM.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

get the akg mounts and you wont have future problems.

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                    the problem with those aluminum mounts is that they won't sit fat at one of their supports.. be it at the subframe or at the mounting arm. This means more vibration, stress concentration, failures. i've decided that i'm getting it made. I will reveal who is making it later so new orders won't delay mine. I need my car on the road asap. Will post pics and contact info asaic ; /. It will be a through-bolt (1bolt) aluminum.
                    Ya i know what you mean on they wouldn't be flat. I have the IE yellow poly mounts right now and they are tweeked. I also wraped them reflective tape to help dissipate the heat.

Let me know if you do get these made. I would buy a set for my M3.

Comment

^^ you bet. i'll post some pics.

here's one of the IE mount. its shorter, wider, deformed and the top melted inward laying the intake manifold on my booster such that i could feel the vibrating engine on my pedals. this is shameful for IE IMO.

Originally posted by erik325i View Post
                      I made solid aluminum motor mounts for my M3 with no complaints. Just remember that the motor mount arm and the subframe are not parallel, so you need to figure out the angle to make the mounts.

Erik
                      i knew you'd have a pair. drawing is out. we just have to wait now.
                      No more e30s for me.
                      91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

^^ you bet. i'll post some pics.

here's one of the IE mount. its shorter, wider, deformed and the top melted inward laying the intake manifold on my booster such that i could feel the vibrating engine on my pedals. this is shameful for IE IMO.

i knew you'd have a pair. drawing is out. we just have to wait now.
                        Think they might warranty something like that?

That is a pretty brutal failure.
                        Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
                          Think they might warranty something like that?

That is a pretty brutal failure.
                          Well don't think i would want the same thing as a warranty part. I only have 1000 miles on the same motor mount. So i would call it a poor part.

Comment

Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
                            Well don't think i would want the same thing as a warranty part. I only have 1000 miles on the same motor mount. So i would call it a poor part.
                            Touche, maybe refund lol.
                            Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

this is exactly the review i was waiting to hear. What mounts are you running... it may be perfectly acceptable to use e36 solidmounts -.-

thanks 8)
                              made mine in a lathe and I used delrin. iirc the oal is 2.5 inchs.

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
                              click here for details

Comment

^^ that was also an option. This is what was made. The less than stellar picture doesnt show the angles well.

[edit sorry comments for my other thread lmao]
                                Last edited by etxxz; 12-14-2009, 02:13 PM.
                                No more e30s for me.
                                91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Working...
                                X